• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:51 PM

Well Bob, whatever your personal preference is. It surely looks like a good one. Damn nice work!

#22 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

Oh I 'm not saying that cakes are a bad way to go at all , I just have alot more weight at the end of the day with grains reliably.

Most of the time I get about one dry ounce from a 3/4 full jar of, dare I say, popcorn, cased with plain verm. (I gave up on the corn trays though when I discovered grain and compost)
just guessing here but I would say 3 ish cakes is equivilant to the 3/4 full jar of corn in mycelial volume, and if you add up all the cakes I have ever had come to fruition it doesnt equal a dry ounce all together.

Hip , amigo, I know you are a big proponent of the jar and a very experienced mycologist, and I pose no sort of argument here . So are alot of peeps here, thats great, its a very straight forward and simple way to go that works reliably for you all.
I did it for about oh ,one case of jars then saw no further use for that method and have never been tempted to try them again, grains are so easy to work with
Just a humble point of view from up it the mountains .

Peace

lol

sorry to go off topic Texas, those mushies look fabulous, haave ya tried them yet?

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

I would say 3 ish cakes is equivilant to the 3/4 full jar of corn in mycelial volume,

i doubt that,
there's only 3/4 cup of rice in 3 cakes
you must count the casing weight too
as the cake is mostly verm
so weight that casing in it's entirety
and figure a cake weighs about 55 grams
bet it'd take more like 8 or 9 cakes
to mass = to a average sized casing

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

look at what 2 cakes did above,
the proof is right before our eyes.
personally it seems very common
that folks who have only made/grown
a couple dozen cakes
at most
like to argue with folks who've done hundreds
if not thousands, as i have.
i've crunched the numbers for 4 years now
and i know whereof i speak.

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:43 PM

Not to mention there's a shit load more points of contact when using cakes versus seed.

#26 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

Due to the fact that I have never and out of say 20 times trying to colonize any type of grain. I have always thought that any size grain jar should colonize in two weeks. But every time I tried it would be four weeks after PC and never had any colonize 100%. Cakes are easy efficient and when you blend them down there are well over thousands of inolulation points and when you give each cakes 5cc of spore solution they can colonize 100% in a week and that is fast. Just my personal preference

I agree with the colonization times being rather fast for cakes. It depends on how far your willing to go with the innoculum. I've got these massive cakes going and by friday (2weeks) they will be almost done. With only 1cc more of solution.

#27 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Sorry to f your thread up. Looks good Bob!

#28 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

heh heh

those pics that are "right before my eyes" are spawned straw/poo, not straight cakes broken up and cased

the 3cakes to 3/4qt grain ratio I spoke of was refering to volume
after all one(two?) spore can grow mushrooms forever theoreticaly, so saying one type spawns more or better that the other isnt even an issue.

I dont see any pictures from professional growers that show thousands of pf cakes on the shelf, they use compost. I know there are pics of alot of cakes but that isn't what I mean.

And it is a well proven tek, pf that is, nearly foolproof to be sure.
I would never doubt your expertice in this area, ever , at all.
I just dont like it personaly, I "think" its great for new growers, people of limited means, or where space or lack of equipment is an issue, and of course( parents) LOL

But I have enough room to make a compost pile and do anything I want here( where I live). I dont need to grow in shoeboxes. I just have fat fingers and tedious things I need to avoid for mental health reasons. Compost is big, simple, and works really well, for me....
We really are comparing apples to oranges here anyway its just a preference thing

And procedures come and go like the wind changes direction, yesterday h2o2 was the "E" ticket, now it sux. Popcorn was realy cool, now it sux. I used to say jet dry was great in spore suspensions and was told over and over that it shouldnt be used for inumerable reasons. Now we see it was the "mystery ingredient" in PF's syringes etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

All I know is if I want alot of substrate I definatly wont be doing hundreds of jars to get it.

but I'm pretty stupid being from Wyoming originaly, and all.
please dont hate me for saying what works for me
Peace to ya'll
Sure would like to buy ya'll a few tequillas some time

lol

and again : appologies to Bob

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

I definatly wont be doing hundreds of jars to get

do you have trouble understanding
the concept or word
mycobag ?

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:28 AM

those pics that are "right before my eyes" are spawned straw/poo, not straight cakes broken up and cased

so ?
grain is used as spawn,
cakes do not need to be cased
because they already are ,
rez-effect internal.

#31 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:39 AM

i removed cheffy's posts
because this thread is about
the great results that can be had
from using cakes.
people holding contrary opinions
should not inject themselves into
other peoples' threads just to argue.

#32 shaggy_4202

shaggy_4202

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

tell you the truth man i dont really care about grain verse cakes im tryin hand-ons both but damn you must be doins somethin nice to get a nice yeild like that man i have to give you some promps.

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:06 AM

dont really care about grain verse cakes

me neither.
i've done hundreds of both,
and witnessed several hundred more over the years.
the debate is old
and very few actually bother to
do the needed calculations properly
or have enough experience with both media
to judge.

#34 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

To me the cakes are so easy and using then as spawn is just natural evolution in the way I learn. Grains maybe someday but for now I have no complaints with the good old BRF cakes thanks to Strangland for the info and inspiration to use cakes as spawn.

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

cakes are so easy and using then as spawn is just natural evolution

indeed,
nothing could be easier

#36 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:52 AM

indeed,
nothing could be easier

I just got these 1/2 gallon tapered widemouth jars that would be great for brf spawning to bulk.

#37 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

I have tried grains a couple times but cakes are just too easy for me to turn my back on. I've looked into using them as spawn but I don't have a need for that kind of yeild, it would be nice to learn though...hmmm...
Nice pictures Bob!

#38 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:55 AM

a foaf personally doesnt do brf cakes anymore, after a long period of doing only brf cakes he moved onto grains and simply find them easier for HIM to do. itsthink its more of not mixing any ingredients that he likes. he also doesnt soak, simmer or do any of the coffee stuff. he KISS the whole time.

imo i think either way will work just fine. the upside to brf jars is the opt of invitro, which most grains wont readily do. but its evident and apparent that brf jars do just fine as spawn. but i dont think it makes grains obsolete, it just gives another option. if we used that same thinking then one could say that grains make brf obsolete. or agar makes syringes obsolete. or straw makes poo obsolete.

i just like to think of brf or grains as interchangable.

yknow lol. ...this thread has really turned into a tell tale sign that we are really picking up all the characteristics of a community. i mean every nuance. its actually pretty good that we all cant meet up at functions. lol think about it. i can see it now. a little circle of people standing there discussing brf and then they say " oh goddd. here come them grain lovers." lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!