Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My first post and first grow log. Mini-mono-tub - Eqs on worm castings and coir/verm

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hello everyone. I have been a lurker here and on the shroomery for almost two years. During that time, I have had several tries and several failures. First was using pf cakes with out a pressure cooker. Another was pf cakes with a pressure cooker, crumble and cased, overlay then contams. Next was WBS, 3 out of 4 jars stalled completely. 1 was spawned to a small brick of straw + womcastings. It was too wet and got green ickies all along the corners.

So the winner for me, hands down, has been red wheat berries. I picked them up in the bulk grain section of a big health food store.

I soaked them over night with about 1/2 tsp of garden lime. This was small bag of greyish granuals, not the white powder lime. It dissolved just fine.

The next day, I simmered until they were plump enough to be popped in my fingers, but not mushy or bursting. This ended up being a long while 90+ min.

Loaded into 1 pt jars. I also had one 1qt jar at my disposal. I used metal lids with 1/2" hole with polyfill and 1/8th inch hole with micropore tape over it, for injection.
Pressure cooked for 90min. Let cool over night in the cooker. Opened up and injected with 1cc each for the 1pt and 2cc for the qt. jar. I shook them and incubated in a TnT incubator at 85deg i checked on them in 4 days and gave them one more shake. In 7-8 days, there looked ready. I waited until 10days though. I had other things to take care of.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1195690761
Here is the polyfil and micropore tape.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1195690919
This was at 7days! These Ecuadors are rambunctious. The mycelium formed all these fan-like structures against the glass. The pf jars never did that for me. It was beautiful. They grew so fast! I figure it may have been due to the lime in the soak. Who knows?

I made a small mono tub out of an 18qt rubbermade (~16"x11"x10").
I drilled 1inch holes with a hole saw in a drill. I put 4 on each long side and 2 on each end. Also two in the lid. on long side is missing 2 holes though. I tried to cut a square hole out with a utility knife and it just cracked the plastic. I taped with up with some tyvek tape I had floating around. It's not made of tyvek. It is used to tape tyvek to itself.

I prepared my bulk substrate. I hydrated about 1/4th brick of cocoir with hot water from an electric tea kettle. once fully hydrated, i set aside. I hydrated several large handfulls of vermiculite to field capacity. I began to mix the vermiculite in to where the consistancy was good and airy but also substantial. I added several large handfuls of worm casting to the mix. adding water as needed to maintain proper hydration. I made it a little wet.

I decided wet was ok. I was going to load it all into a cooking bag and pasturize it anyway. So into the bag it goes. 160 for 90min. This was hard work. I had to baby sit it for a LONG time. The worst part about it, is that I punctured the bottom of the bag with the thermometer!. It had sucked up a far too much water. It had pretty much turned to mud. I was not happy in the least.

I saved it by dumping it in a cheese cloth and wringing out the water.
I then squeezed it, handful by handful, to field capacity and dropped it in my mono tub. Saved, but at the loss of alot of nutrients that ran out with the water.

I should side note that I had 4 1pt jars, but one of them got sick with some tiny black pin mold. Nasty. I didn't even want to open it. Wrapped in 2 layers of garbage bag and the jar was tossed in the rubish. Ick.

So I spawned the 3 jars I had left and put it in a dark place. It appeared to be fully colonized in 5 days!. Too bad my poor calculations left me with only 2.5" of substrate depth. I used about 1/4th in of casing made of 60/40 cocoir and vermiculite.

There were already small knots forming when I cased. It was exciting!

I was getting impatient with this whole process. It had been about a week since I cased, and nothing yet? Just then I noticed pins popping up in the middle. There were 5-6 of them. Next thing I know, there are dozens!!!!

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1195692410
This was three days after I noticed the first pins.

Just before harvest today!

There are a crazy amount on the sides too! I only covered the bottom of the clear tub with ducttape. It is not opaque enough. Check this out.

I noticed they were growing on the bottom too. I decided to sacrifice the top for the sides and harvest the top today. I transfered this giant cake to a terrarium with perlite. There is enough room to let the sides fruit happily.

I cleaned out the mono tub, covered the holes with packing tape and put some perlite in the bottom. It made a great fruiting chamber for a small brick-sized cake of wheat berries and cocoir. Its a fine use for that 1qt jar.

So all in all, not a bad first success eh? ;-)

Here is my first yield from picking the top.

Cheers!
~sW

Attached Thumbnails

• before-harvest-2.jpg
  • before-harvest-1.jpg
  • before-harvest-0.jpg
  • all-together-now.jpg
  • yield-1.jpg
  • pasturizing-worms.jpg
  • little-cake.jpg
  • holy-moly-jars.jpg
  • lid-polyfil.jpg
  • holycrap-the-sides.jpg
  • early-growth.jpg
  • holy-crap-the-sides-1.jpg
  • early-growth-1.jpg

• Heirloom likes this

#2 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Expired Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

:kewl:

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

nice
:kewl:

Posted Image
to
Posted Image

plz visit our
> Mission Statement <
> Basic Board Rules <
> how to upload pix <
> user control panel <
> donate $$ to fund 'Topia <
> archives <
> vaults <
> StrainBase <
> chatroom <
> sponsors <
> search engine <
> topia's glossary <
> image browser <
> marketplace <
> market rules >
> contest forum <
> fungi forum <
> botanicals forum <
> grassroots <
> Forum International <

and our bnl
Posted Image

Also see > PFTEK <
enjoy your stay.

#4 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

That was a damn fine opening act :eusa_clap Welcome.

#5 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

:thumbup:

#6 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

some growers say its bad to have the fruiting under the substrate. you can use an opaque tray or even black tape on the bottom to stop that from happening. if its the case that you have, you may want to think about fruiting that thing upside down. just flip it over. or put it on a cage.

Ill try and get you a link soon.

Posted Image

hip linked this in another thread yesterday.
http://mycotopia.net...out-merged.html

your casing is too dry so your pins are forming where the moisture is abundant. if you see this next time, think about fruiting it 3 dimensionally!

but although more pins are forming underneath. you did an excellent job!

i take it all back, looks like you are one step ahead of me. missed the part where you already did this. nice work man! can't wait to see how it turns out.

the color of your coir is an indicator of moisture content. in your first picture. the coir is a bit of a reddish brownish color. what you really want is a dark chocolate looking color. this means the casing is the right moisture content. when you see it dry out a bit, its more of that reddish/brown color. we want a dark chocolate brown color.

#7 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,574 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

:)Doesn't it feel good (kind of a high) I personally love the feeling
to do something right, I love it, for me it is Great!
by the way your on Mycotopia not Shroomery :lol: and welcome

#8 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

the color of your coir is an indicator of moisture content. in your first picture. the coir is a bit of a reddish brownish color. what you really want is a dark chocolate looking color. this means the casing is the right moisture content. when you see it dry out a bit, its more of that reddish/brown color. we want a dark chocolate brown color.

Yes, I suspected such. The mono tub lost moisture very quickly. It had been dry in my area for the last few weeks. I ended up having to resort to daily misting. This wasn't an ideal grow by any means. I made alot of mistakes and got sloppy in places. I see how I can make this even simpler and cleaner for my next grow.

I have a smaller brick like cake going that is just wheat berries and coir. I am curious to see its yield and potency. I'm thinking this whole thing would be simplest just spawning to coir.

Thanks for the kudos guys!

~sW

#9 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

I was just marveling over my plate of shroomies and I was just speachless. I felt giddy and I haven't even tried em yet.

I am going to eat one medium sized on tonight, then I have to catch a flight out of town. I will post pictures of their progress when I get back.

I'm really excited to see what becomes of that little brick.

mmm thanks and giving.

~sW

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

ahem
you really should read more carefully
before you try correcting someone.
he knows where he is.

I have been a lurker here and on the shroomery

#11 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

welcome to the topia. :rasta:

#12 rockawayrooms

rockawayrooms

Hash Pipe Harry

• Expired Member
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:41 PM

Welcome aboard and nice work bro!:thumbup:

#13 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

ahem
you really should read more carefully
before you try correcting someone.
he knows where he is.

nyah nyah ;-p

Oh, BTW... They taste AMAZING!!!

Gonna be a nice night.

Happy TG

~sW

#14 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,574 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

OK, cool.. Thanks you guys I stand corrected :eusa_sile

Still a cool thread man :thumbup:

#15 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

Yes, I suspected such. The mono tub lost moisture very quickly. It had been dry in my area for the last few weeks. I ended up having to resort to daily misting. This wasn't an ideal grow by any means. I made alot of mistakes and got sloppy in places. I see how I can make this even simpler and cleaner for my next grow.

I have a smaller brick like cake going that is just wheat berries and coir. I am curious to see its yield and potency. I'm thinking this whole thing would be simplest just spawning to coir.

Thanks for the kudos guys!

~sW

ive read several threads from people who live in the desert and have a problem with their bins drying out. im not sure if your using a lid on your setup. i know the press n seal lids are keeping in the moisture on my tubs quite efficiently. or if you are using that, you may try to see if there are any areas where it is open and the moisture is escaping.

#16 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

nice log :headbang:

#17 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

Update: Second, third and fourth flushes are in. I have some pics but I don't think I will be able to post them tonight.

I'm so excited at my yield. They just kept coming and coming. I had no idea. I am a bit disapointed with the potency though. I have had cubies that have nocked my sox off. These tended to make everyone who tried them sleepy-trippy.

My roomate and I ate about 6-7 fresh mushrooms blended in a smoothy for breakfast this weekend and all that happened really was that we slept all day! They're like narco -mushies.

Any ideas what my be the cause? Fresh or dry, they are not very potent. You need about 3g to really start to have good CEVs. Probably need 3.5-4 for OEvs.

Maybe it's my choice of substrate?

Sw

#18 spiral_walker

spiral_walker

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

never mind folks. I just read the poll on substrate = cubensis potency.

The question is still up, but not to be solved on this thread.

#19 camMyco

camMyco

Modified Honey

• Expired Member
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

Welcome!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!