• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

A couple versions of this tek have been posted before. Since I am doing a mod today anyway and we haven't seen this particular information on the newest incarnation of Mycotopia, Here is a visual tek on how to modify a food dehydrator for safe drying of our favorite fungii.

Pic 1: Get a food dehydrator. This one cost $2.50 and has never been used (garage sale). It is a Magic Chef Model 469-1 but the info should be good for most types of dehydrators.

Pic 2: Take all the racks off to get to the part that has the electronics in it. This is the top of that base part. Note the two little alignment pegs. They help you put this beast back together.

Pic 3: Turn it over and remove the three phillips head screws and set aside.

Pic 4: Turn it back right side up and remove the lid. Here is what it looks like inside. There is not much to it. A switch and a strange wired box.

Pic 5: Take the five screws holding the box lid out and reveal a small squirrel cage motor and a heating element.

Pic 6: Remove one of the leads to the heater element (long bar). If the lead does not have plastic protection sleeve as here, use electrical tape on the connector to keep from shorting to anything. Safety first!

Then just reverse steps 6 to 3, putting the device back together instead of taking it apart.

Pic 7: Bonus picture of some nice PE clone stems that need to be dried. I will give you three guesses where the caps are. ;)

Pic 8: The dehydrator runs on fan only to dry your fungi the safe and easy way. :)

If the food dehydrator needs to do double duty to dry things like jerky or other fruit that requires heat, just follow the same steps and hook the element back up. Easy and no fuss.

Hope you all enjoy the tek.

Attached Thumbnails

• dehydrator fruit.jpg
  • dehydrator back together drying fruit.jpg
  • dehydrator squirrel cage and heater.jpg
  • dehydrator disconnect heater.jpg
  • dehydrator base 01.jpg
  • dehydrator innards.jpg
  • dehydrator.jpg
  • Dehydrator base top pegs.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:18 AM

nicely done.

#3 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

Question:

If one uses a food dehydrator, is there any need for fan drying and/or dessicant? Or will the dehydrator do ALL the work?

#4 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

Thanks, shed. Cool avitar. I take it that it's one of sinth's creations? Three guesses: either in your belly, someone else's belly, or on a piece of printing medium. :p

#5 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:43 PM

Question:

If one uses a food dehydrator, is there any need for fan drying and/or dessicant? Or will the dehydrator do ALL the work?

If you are going to be storing long-tern (Months+), you should still dessicant them. If you are going to be eating them within a couple months, then as long as they are really dry, they should last ok.

#6 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

CandyKid, the dessicator IS a fan dryer. This tek just allows you to disable the heat so that you dont run into any loss of potency from the heated air. The fan still blows. :)

Dial8, not Synth...Psychoknot made this for me in the contest that just ended. Synth made a really cool one to. Expect to see me rotate some of the really cool avatars in and out every couple of months. And that third guess is correct, sir!

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

Nice write up Shed! A well deserved archive slot indeed!

#8 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

Aha, thanks for clearing that up guys :)

#9 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

i would put silica gels in the bottom

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!