• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

yea of course they're better, mine came w/ two pint glasses :)

hadn't seen that energy drink, and killians tastes very sweet.. mmmm.

#22 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:17 PM

Good day, Topians!

It's that time of the month again (no, not THAT), and today we'll be looking at something I hold close to my heart - a fine black & tan that gets no respect, or so it seems. So without further ado...

May's Beer of the Month:

"Mississippi Mud"
Import or Domestic: Domestic (rare)
Price: $2.99 for 32oz.

Unfortunately, the original brewing company - Upper Mississippi Brewing Company - was bought by AriZona Beverages way back in the early 90's, so digging up information on this relatively un-popular beer was VERY hard. The offical website for AriZona has absolutely no information or history on this beer, so instead of of presenting you with facts, this month I'll just be giving a review. I'm sorry for this (I've already written AriZona a letter - they have info on their company history, but no info on the products they carry? I call bullshit!).

Mississippi Mud is a Black & Tan. If you don't know what a black & tan is, I'll explain: English bitter (ale) and Irish stout mixed together. Some people hate it, others swear by it. I am the latter. "Mud" has a distinct taste, better than ANY other black & tan available to the public, and because of this "Mud" is hard to track down. You would think they'd carry it in every beverage store, right next to the Killian's, or the Sierra Nevada, but the only place you will likely find this brew is Trader Joe's. Traditionally, "Mud" comes in giant 32 oz glass "mugs", with a design of an alligator on the front. They do carry 16oz bottles, however. Packaging isn't an important part of any beer, but if it was then "Mud" would surely qualify for Best Packaging.

About the taste:

Hmm...how does one go about describing the taste of this black & tan? Simply put, it tastes like Bass Pale Ale mixed with Imperial Stout. Doesn't sound too appealing at first, but the two different brews really work well off eachother - so well that they had to dub a name for it. When the beer first hits your palate, you will notice a distinct dark ale taste. This is very similar to Bass, more so than Dead Guy or any other ale. After swallowing the first sip, you'll notice a sharp aftertaste - this is the stout. The aftertaste is reminescent of Imperial, NOT Guiness. This is a good thing, because if they had opted for more of a Guiness taste, I think it would overpower the ale by a substantial margin. As is, "Mud" delivers a powerful punch, and more aftertaste than you can shake a stick at - probably not the best brew to get drunk on, but more of an after-dinner dessert.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01085.JPG

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

i recognize this one,
never tried it tho'
made me thirsty damn you
;)

#24 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

I like black and tans. It's the only way that I will drink Guinness stout...mixed with Bass ale :) I think that is probably one of the classic black and tans. I like 1 part stout to 2 or 3 parts ale.

#25 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

I like black and tans. It's the only way that I will drink Guinness stout...mixed with Bass ale :) I think that is probably one of the classic black and tans. I like 1 part stout to 2 or 3 parts ale.

Me, too, otherwise I can't stand the stuff. Guinness is too much, man, too much

#26 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:50 AM

Now this is my kind of thread. Beer is a language I speak, but I'm rather new on the beer market. Some personal favorites include, Kokanee Gold, Stella Artois, Honey Brown Ale, I hope to soon broaden my horizons!!! I grew up drinking black label outdoors, running from the po po lol.

#27 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:51 AM

Me, too, otherwise I can't stand the stuff. Guinness is too much, man, too much

I'm pretty convinced that guys who drink guiness only do so to enlarge the size of their penis.

#28 slide

slide

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

missisippi mud is good stuff, one of the better dark beers I have tried

#29 bullfrog

bullfrog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

i make clones of these :
with testing and tasting i can copy these:
new castle ale
bass ale
sam adams wheat
sam adams boston lagar
hempin ale
and busch regular

#30 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

I like strong ales and IPAs.

Currently drinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga,

Mad River Steelhead Double IPA

#31 real_psily

real_psily

electron pusher

• Expired Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:52 PM

I love me some new castle on those days that end in y. I just tried "wild hops" or something like that its a new A-B brew. I usually don't go for bud and the family, but this one is made from organic wild hops and is ... well very hoppy, but still clean and refreshing.

has CK done any new beer of the months since may??

#32 manjotar

manjotar

Disciple of Boognish

• Expired Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

i just tried some of that "wild hop" organic beer... pretty tasty.

but Magic Hat is and will always be the beer for me.
www.magichat.net

#33 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Magic Hat?? Sounds intriguing, I'll have to try it out sometime! I had a pitcher of Honey Brown Ale the other night. Not bad at all.

#34 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

I've been drinking Sam Adams lately. I love the Octoberfest. Sam Light is pretty good, but I just stumbled upon Hefenweizen. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. If you can get ahold of it, give it a shot!

#35 achiles

achiles

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:14 AM

heineken is the beer of gods

#36 silverface

silverface

Loose Lucy is my delight.

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

I've been Home brewing for a few years now too. I started out with a very crude setup and am just now finishing up perfecting a much better one. I also stick to Ales. Alot of Nut Brown. Some of my favorites are Oatmeal stouts, 1/2 & 1/2's and ofcoarse NB ales. Thats all I usually drink. I love good beer but, for some reason when theres fungus around I end up with a case of something shitty.

#37 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

Midnight Sun Obliteration II :thumbup:

Attached Thumbnails

• 79797.jpg

#38 pneuma9

pneuma9

Resident Deviant

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

I like the averys beers. I like Guinness stout. I don't think it's too much. I sometimes prefer the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. The Oatmeal Stout is super delicious too. None of them, however, have enlarged my penis though I would drink them exclusively had they.

You want to drink a beer that's too much? The Beast Grand Cru by Averys. It's the most disgusting beverage I've ever tasted. High alcohol content but in that case I'd rather drink wine. If you like strong flavors, pair it with a steak. Something Cajun would probably be best. It's not supposed to be disgusting, I don't think but I had to pour it out. Waste of $7 or whatever I paid for it.

I love this thread. Keep it up.

Just as a matter of opinion - I think sam adams is weak. All of it. No offense. If I had to choose between SA and Fat Tire, I'd drink Fat Tire any day.

Waylit - I've never tried that IPA. Ever tried the Twisted Thistle IPA? Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA from Belhaven (Greene King), a American Pale Ale style beer: An unofficial page for Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA from Belhaven (Greene King) in Dunbar, East Lothian, , Scotland Very delicious. The Maharaja by Averys is great too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!