Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Second attempt at first grow....successful??

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

My foaf got his spores a week or so ago and he made two seperate projects, not because he wanted to but because he was forced to trash the whole first project on account of he got in a hurry while preparing his first group of substrates. Needless to say they all got contaminated with cobwebs. First problem was his grinder wouldn't break down the brown rice into flour. He didnt worry to much about that because he figured it would correct it self in the pc and mostly it did but it wasn't till he pulled them out of the pc that he noticed he forgot the pure verm layer to guard against contaminates.So like the very next day there was already signs of cobwebs. He tryed to counter with 3% peroxide solution but it was already to late.

Two days later he started a new project taking his time making sure to follow all the steps and threw in a few precautionary measures of his own. its been 5 days and he sent me these pics of his very first healthy grow ever... look closely or u might miss it the first two are golden teacher (the same jar) second 2 are tak mountain cubes (same jar) hes wondering if this is the spores starting to germinate? I couldn't tell him cause I've never grown them before. any and all input is welcome thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 006.jpg
  • Picture 005.jpg
  • Picture 004.jpg
  • Picture 003.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

definite signs of life,
the tak mountain looks great,
the GT might have a contam though, too soon to be certain,
post updated pic in a couple more days.
what's the temperature ?

#3 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

there all sitting at about 81 degrees ... also when the tak is fully colonized i would like to spawn it to a 5 lb bulk manure coir substate is this a good strain for that? how long do i pc it for to make sure its pasteurized enough

#4 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:29 PM

looks a lil wet, hopefully in the next couple days in the incubator the moisture will rise to the top of the jars

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

you don't pc a bulk substrate like manure / coir -
pasteurize it instead.

#6 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

prolly gonna stick with fruiting them as cakes since its the first time but thanks for the input. much appreciated that is if contams dont get them before then

#7 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

I know its only been like 12 hours but i had to peek at them again and heres what i found the golden teacher has doubled in colonization(first 3 pics same jar as yesterday) tak doesnt seem to have done anything but heres some pics ne ways

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 012.jpg
  • Picture 011.jpg
  • Picture 010.jpg
  • Picture 008.jpg
  • Picture 009.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

more spores germinating as it goes,
so far so good

#9 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

looking good. :eusa_clap

#10 circumsizzle

circumsizzle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

Looking very nice so far. Is your FOAF going to try GT again? Personally I would raise the temp to 85F. It has been the perfect temp for all my projects so far.

Popcorn has always worked for me and I continue to try different substrates like my newest (whole oats 9 bucks for 64lbs), but your FOAF will find his/her niche.:headbang: ROCK ON!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0005.JPG
  • almost ready 2 fruit (1).JPG

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

the spores have already germinated, no need for heat that high.

#12 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the input guys and I prolly wont mess with any grains till I perfect the brf tek

#13 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

this is another experiment of mine. I almost gave up on it. Does this look like healthy growth?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 015.jpg
  • Picture 014.jpg
  • Picture 013.jpg

#14 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Bump fishing for feed back lol

#15 losfreddy

losfreddy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

I've always wanted to do Tak. I got a syringe once but the project was tossed out by the 'room raider', if you know what i'm saying. Anyways, good luck and remember to post plenty of pics when the grow is finish :hippie:

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

pure rice like 9er tek ?
looks ok but not far along

#17 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

ya its per tek i got bored and had only a little rice left so i decided to try it out and its actually 4 days older than the first pics i posted its going really slow i think because it started out in low temps like 60 because we had a few cold days then i moved it and its been at about 80 degrees and it finally showed signs of life

#18 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Well I got mold in my one 9er tek cake im not sure what to do can i take something sterile and cut the mold out or should i trash it heres a few pics

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 026.jpg
  • Picture 025.jpg
  • Picture 024.jpg
  • Picture 023.jpg

#19 losfreddy

losfreddy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

you need something more to keep contams out then a coffee filter? You may be albe to save it. I usually let the mold grow and cut it off later when everything else is colonized. thats just me thou

#20 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Free Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

Removing mold can work if you are carefull but IMO because the jar is in the early stages of growth and the mycelium does not have a good foothold on the substrate chances are that the contam will win the battle.
Being new it might be better to just toss the jar, but then again tons of knowledge can be gained by experimenting. If you do try to remove the contam keep it well away from the good jars.
Good Luck

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!