31 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,756 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

That is sweet!

I suppose it wouldn't be cost effective to make and sell your own line of custom DIY-style lab gear, would it? Somehow, I think there's a viable business plan in there somewhere... :weedpoke:

#22 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:08 AM

Great machining job. I hope you don't mind me asking, it might be kind of off topic. I tried machining UHMW a few times. My machines were an old Bridgeport and a 13" Cincinnati lathe. I learned old school techniques, high speed tool steel for cutters. That UHMW was not easy to machine, it didn't want to cut. How is that stuff cut these days?

depending on how thick of the uhmw is, it gets easier to cut :) on the mill it cuts like butter :) i would rather do uhmw on cnc than any old hand cranker just to keep an accurate eye on the speeds/feeds. As for lathe operations, i have been playing with it for some time now since alot of our jobs going out the door require uhmw. high speed, very high feed. as for hss for cutters, it works ok, but think more along the lines of inserts for machining aluminum, uhmw and oil filled uhmw likes sharp edge prepped inserts (uncoated). You can achieve the same results with your tin-e coated inserts, just gotta bump that feed up. i will run 2500 rpm on turning ops, with a feed no less than 15 thou per rev. (F.015) and my depth of cuts are 100 thou or greater on my g71 programming. i leave 30 thou instead of the normal 10 thou for the g70 cleanup. also, i bump up my drill and cutoff feeds to double of what u would use for CR or HR or SS steels. With the higher feeds, you wont see as much stringy wrap-up on your part, it usually shoots the stringy outta the way. I had a 10 foot high string arc coming off the manual lathe one day with high feed and it gave me the idea to use on the cnc, been doing it ever since. :)
as for old school techniques, i am hoping on your bridgeport mill you were climbing with your endmills..... uhmw peels away nicely on climbing, instead of building up a almost-melted style chip string when conventional milling.

#23 greenweanie

greenweanie

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

That is sweet!

I suppose it wouldn't be cost effective to make and sell your own line of custom DIY-style lab gear, would it? Somehow, I think there's a viable business plan in there somewhere... :weedpoke:

yes , i have tossed the idea around. and since i keep most of the drops (excess material normally tossed away) , my costs are kept to a minimum :) however right now i am backed up 7 ways from sunday due to a couple prototype conveyors we have been building the last couple weeks. seems like our engineering dept needs a refresher course on document changes, instead of using "guesswork". Yes, i kept the proggies, so yes, you will be seeing a few more, most likely in the marketplace ;) I am deciding what to do on a couple ideas, like where to add an audio taper potentiometer, and making a quad station :)

#24 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

2 Rheostats, 1 for a heating element :thumbup: and the other for speed control. :headbang:

That is one kickass design :)

-feds

#25 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Those old hand crankers just cannot take good advantage of the modern cutters and technology. The speeds and feeds are too slow, and without coolant and recirculation the cutters cannot be used on metals. Thanks for the generous explanation. The new stuff is just amazing, I hope the USA can remain strong in the field.

#26 greenweanie

greenweanie

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Those old hand crankers just cannot take good advantage of the modern cutters and technology. The speeds and feeds are too slow, and without coolant and recirculation the cutters cannot be used on metals. Thanks for the generous explanation. The new stuff is just amazing, I hope the USA can remain strong in the field.

if u can weasel 20-30ipm on your bridgeport, you will have a clean cut. speed of about 1500 :)
as for the lathe, u can still get it as well, highest feed rate with the highest speed (usually 1500rpm) and make your cut about 200thou for turning. thats with a normal 32nd radius coated insert, like cnmg or the like. you will see uhmw string shooting in the air like u wouldnt believe :)

#27 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Looks Awesome..Great Work.:eusa_clap

#28 greenweanie

greenweanie

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

thanks for the compliments guys.....

2 Rheostats, 1 for a heating element :thumbup: and the other for speed control. :headbang:

That is one kickass design :)

-feds

draw something up in paint, a quickie, of how u picture the perfect setup ;) By the way, why the rheostats and a heating element? making coffee on the other pads? lol.

#29 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

greenweanie.. I gotta ask.......

any chance of a pic or 2 of the magnets in plac.. with the stir bar maybe? or jus the magnets on the fan even? :bow:

#30 greenweanie

greenweanie

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

i can take some pics of that once i stop at hobby lobby for some disc magnets. its kinda crazy right now with all the xmas shoppers, so i like to stay away from the shopping scene till xmas is over. But yeah, i will get something worked up. I accomodated the lid with a countersunk hole under the middle flake design, about 2 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch deep, so that will allow almost a 3/8 inch thick magnet. just glue to the top of the fan and call it a day. as for stir bar, i will cut up something here at work and heat shrink it :)

#31 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

draw something up in paint, a quickie, of how u picture the perfect setup ;) By the way, why the rheostats and a heating element? making coffee on the other pads? lol.

:lol: That is a fine idea, a french press with a magnetic stir bar :)

My pad is a little cold at times, I would like to maintain incubation temps by heating the glass jar :thumbup:

The resistance elements are stronger in rheostats and I would run that thing 24/7. :bow:

I'll draw up something for ya; I would like to see daisy chaining power, with modules to add if you want the ability to have 10 stirplates strapped together. I've seen the 4 position stir plates in one unit but never a modular style.

Cheers,

-feds

#32 greenweanie

greenweanie

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

sweet. post ur ideas in this thread, preferably picture type so i can grasp what ur seeing in ur mind.
thanks feds...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!