• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fren0128

fren0128

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

I built this glovebox, however I'm not quite sure if it wil work. Is it to supposed to eliminate all air flow, or just provide an area for the lysol to resonate and prevent the small amount of air that is allowed to circulate in. The reason I ask is because in some posts people talk about just washing their hands and arms and leaving an entire face of their glovebox open and used no arm holes. Others
elaborately attach hoses and gloves as to allow no outside air. I am wondering if my little saran wrap curtain is useless or helpful and wether my glovebox will work.

Attached Thumbnails

• karo 029.jpg
  • karo 028.jpg

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

its better than open air, although i wouldnt suggest working on carpet or even anywhere near the floor. that is where most contams fall and lay. just use it in collaboration with the other sterile techniques like wearing gloves, lysol the air, alchohol swab or flame needletip. etc etc

#3 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:14 PM

Word of caution on lysol...if you are flame sterilizing needles IN the glovebox, please don't use lysol. The alcohol fumes of lysol make a very nice bomb in an enclosed space...even after a few hours you can end up with no traces of mammalian hair on your arms or eyebrows...You laugh, but we have had experienced mycos forget and blast their ass across the room! So, a safer suggestion for an enclosed box is to use a 10:1 water:bleach solution sprayed in the glovebox...let sit a few minutes then it is perfectly safe for flaming and innoculating.

A glove box is only intended to keep most of the airborne particles from landing on your project when it is vulnerable. Don't breathe into the box or armholes and fresh laytex gloves are highly recommended. Expect a few contams, but most of your stuff should be good if you work quickly and as cleanly as possible.

Good luck. and btw, saran wrap is fine. Looks like you put some work into it. Let us know your success rate. :)

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

looks a little shady. I have found that spraying the inside of a GB with lysol is a no go for more than one reason. it also kills mycelium and or spores and cause mutations besides the bomb-ness. line the inside of the box with plastic or foil so you can just spray it with bleach or soapy water. Works good and you dont have to wait to work in the box.

#5 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:55 AM

Its proly OK for inocculating jars..but not so hot for transfers..Every time you remove your hands from the box ,outside air will rush in to fill the void...

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:25 AM

that will work fine for most purposes.
still follow other basic precautions
like wearing gloves, face mask, hair net
[dress like a surgeon]
and spray the air around the work area
w/bleach mist to knock down airborne particles.
when you work
avoid fast movements that stir the air,
work slowly, calmly, deliberately.

since we building new archives here,
i'll tag this
archive material
because i love cardboard gloveboxes.
we see many try to work with no box at all
and fail
so it's nice to see some cheap working solutions
to use as examples for the slackers.

#7 Fongo

Fongo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

"Word of caution on lysol...if you are flame sterilizing needles IN the glovebox, please don't use lysol. The alcohol fumes of lysol make a very nice bomb in an enclosed space"

Very true

lol happened to me
pretty scary when your whole box suddenly fills up with a fireball
bleach is definately the way to go.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

don't feel bad,
i blew myself up once too
before i learned.
good thing i wasn't wearing pants...

#9 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

don't feel bad,
i blew myself up once too
before i learned.
good thing i wasn't wearing pants...

lmao

haven't blown myself up yet (knock on wood) but I did explode a jar of rye in the pc, that sucked...

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

so fren-
what's the verdict on this now ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!