• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have the oportunity to raid a local farm's cow and horse manure (with permission of course). I live in a cold climate so it will be lots of frozen poo. My question is how should I properly store it and treat it for casing? I've never used fresh poo, just store bought already treated or
composted.

I figure I can keep it outside in a plastic container, at least during the winter as it will be one big frozen turd.

So whats the best way to prepare it for casings?

#2 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

I use the pillow case method described here
http://mycotopia.net...andbag-tek.html

#3 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

How bad does the pasturized manure smell? Will it stink up a house if using rubbermade containers?

Also will a pillowcase be sanitary enough? I don't need to use jars?

#4 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Properly pasteurized poo shouldn't smell.

#5 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

Good to know!

Thank you all for your help!

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,376 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

How bad does the pasturized manure smell? Will it stink up a house if using rubbermade containers?

Also will a pillowcase be sanitary enough? I don't need to use jars?

Here's the pasteurization tek that got me started.

Mycotopia Web Archive: Horse poo tek pictorial grow log *COMPLETED* by roadkill

The only change I made is that I use Woolite laundry bags which are used with delicates. Just don't let your sweetheart catch you loading her laundry bags with manure.....she'll be PISSED! J/K They're available @ W*l M*rt for about $3.00 and are very durable.

Pasteurization is different from sterilization. You are simply knocking down competitor organisms so your spawn can race through the substrate first. Once established, the mycelium can pretty well hold its own from there. You don't, however, want to sanitize or sterilize the manure since the mycelium also benefits from certain microbes which survive pasteurization.

Manure which is ready for pasteurization will not smell very strongly. Leached, dried, aged, manure should be free of ammonia (urine). The pasteurization process has a mild smell but usually goes away in a few hours. Pasteurized manure has even less odor -- barely noticable in a small enclosed room. Don't leave your pasteurized manure sitting around for very long since the competitors have only been weakened rather than eliminated. Left sitting, the manure will become over-run with competitors again and require re-processing.

Have fun and prepare to be impressed with your yeilds!

#7 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

Can poo be picked off the field in winter and be pasturized? Or does it have to be aged first?

#8 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Yes. I would dry and break it up and sift it then pasturize it for best results

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!