Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Black mold end of the world?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ad42

ad42

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

So my friend asked me about this because I "know so much about science". lol Anyway, her pftek jars got contaminated by some sort of black mold (could be A. flavus, by her description). She let them grow anyway, and the good mycelium has covered about half of each jar, with the mold winning the territory on the other half. The jars are now pinning, and she asked me if (a) the mold was probably producing any aflatoxin, and (b) if the mushrooms grown in the presence of the mold would be toxic in any way.

Do any of you have experience with mushrooms that were, maybe due to emergency and time, allowed to grow in contaminated conditions rather than just sterilized and thrown away? Are her mushrooms going to be safe for consumption?

#2 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

    Sober Sister

  • Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

It's best to throw it out and start over. I know your friend will hate to hear that. But when you get a mold or contam it's a real risk of the spores getting into your home, grow area and contaminating future projects. Not to mention, if it is truly is black mold, it poses a health risk.
There are some contams that don't seem to pose a potential health risk like vert.

But when in doubt throw it out.

Best to be safe than sorry.

Is there any way for you to get a pic of your friends jars? This would help greatly in determining, if possible, what contam is in there.

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

    Embrace Your Damage

  • Moderator
  • 15,111 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia!

I hope you avoid a serious lung infection, or that your face isn't consumed by the mold before we get to know you! (yes, the mold in the video might be the same species you see in your jars, if you're seeing black pin mold!)

Seriously, if what you describe is the case, it is not wise and should be disposed of yesterday. Do not open the jars for any reason, and if you must keep them then PC them at 15 psi for 90 minutes, then clean them out as soon as they're cool enough and get it all out of your house. If outbreaks occur in future attempts, bleach mop the entire house including walls and ceilings. I'm not kidding.

If you are renting a place, and only going to live there a year or two, you can get away with a lot, but I'm assuming long-term residency at the same place, and that requires very diligent and thorough hygiene so it doesn't become a mold factory, which is a genuine threat to you and your grows. Good luck!

#4 Dr_T

Dr_T

    Random Dude

  • Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

But when in doubt throw it out.
Is there any way for you to get a pic of your friends jars?



Pic isn't really necessary- if it's black, it's not white.
It's black and white! :lol:

I'd PC the jars before opening, then open them outside and dump the stuff out. I'm too thrifty to just throw away an otherwise-useful jar.

#5 ad42

ad42

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

I don't have pictures of all four cultures, but she did email me pics of two of the jars, which I've attached. I can see a couple pinheads in the one picture that would have me getting the cakes ready for fruiting. Unfortunately, it does appear to be black mold, though I can't readily tell from these photos. You can see how the mycelium is inhibited from growing in certain spots, though.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0105.jpg
  • IMG_0104.jpg
  • IMG_0103.jpg


#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

    Embrace Your Damage

  • Moderator
  • 15,111 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Well, it doesn't look like black pin mold, which is good.

Saving contaminated jars is a false economy. You might be able to try to salvage them by dumping them outside, letting rain hit 'em, and waiting to see if a few caps pop up. That's best done in summer, however, and not likely to work right now in North America.

For the future, factor in some losses as part of the fun so you don't get tempted to hold on to funky ones too long. It'll happen again in the future, just expect it and don't be disappointed... and review all your steps to try to figure out where and how it happened, then adjust accordingly and do it again.

Good luck!

#7 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

    howling mad

  • Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

Pic isn't really necessary- if it's black, it's not white.
It's black and white! :lol:

I'd PC the jars before opening, then open them outside and dump the stuff out. I'm too thrifty to just throw away an otherwise-useful jar.


You'd be shocked at the folks that have bruising on their cakes and think that its mold.
How many folks have you heard say, 'there are black spores everywhere'....when really they are purple.

SO to know for sure and get an accurate answer a pic is most always in order. With out evidence we're all guessing that it IS black.


btw ad42, i dont see black mold there.

#8 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

    Sober Sister

  • Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

Pic isn't really necessary- if it's black, it's not white.
It's black and white! :lol:

I'd PC the jars before opening, then open them outside and dump the stuff out. I'm too thrifty to just throw away an otherwise-useful jar.



I beg your pardon, but pics are necessary to me. I don't like to assume that it is a contam for sure with out seeing a pic. I have read of individuals who threw out whole cakes because they thought it was contaminated, only to post a pic and hear it was just bruising.

The pics are a bit blurry, but the third jar looks like it may have trich in the bottom. Hard to be sure cause of the photo quality.

#9 Dr_T

Dr_T

    Random Dude

  • Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

I guess that's all true- a pic is a good idea.
Sorry for the bad advice. :bow:

#10 golly

golly

    modapotato

  • Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

I would let em go longer to confirm ..Some black or yellow molds can be quite nasty..
Don't consume any shrooms associated with them..
Common green molds [trichoderma] are pretty harmless and the shrooms r' ok to eat..

#11 joseph piodos

joseph piodos

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Molds are living organisms that grow in damp places in your home. They stain or discolor surfaces and smell musty. There are hundreds of thousands of different types of mold. They can grow almost anywhere: on walls, ceilings, carpets, or furniture. Humidity or wetness, caused by water leaks, spills from bathtubs or showers, or condensation, can cause mold to grow in your home.

Its spores are tiny particles that float through the air. These can sometimes cause health problems. It does not affect everyone, and different people are affected differently when mold is breathed or inhaled. It plays a very important role in our lives. Without them, we wouldn't have certain life-saving drugs like penicillin. We also wouldn't have cheese. Exposure to mold is common both inside and outside the home. Some people are more sensitive to mold than others, especially those with allergies and asthma. Some may be strongly affected when exposed to larger quantities of mold.

Certified Mold Inspection




Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!