#61 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

morning.

first one is a jar that was shaken the 1.5 days prior. 2nd one is full colonization in roughly 3 days.

you rock tv! this is a rough estimate but about 89 hours in.

that contam is easy to isolate out and use the rest of the spawn.

ok here are my conclusions tv.

i got overzealous and thought the pooling water in the bottom was contams or wetspot. however, it seemed the mycelia was colonizting from the inside out. so it was a bit decieving looking. the jar 1st was shaken and should be done tommorow. so if you be patient. good things should come. don't just toss it out if you think it looks like contamination. its probably mycelia growing from the inside out.

and this was done by just pouring str8 from the blended mycelial jar. no measurements, just poured quickly. the lid was left off during pouring, but the grain jar lids were lifted and closed right after each pour.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4483.JPG
  • IMG_4482.JPG

#62 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,097 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

i got overzealous and thought the pooling water in the bottom was contams or wetspot. however, it seemed the mycelia was colonizing from the inside out. so it was a bit decieving looking.

I know exactly what you mean!

...at first, I thought every single jar I inoculated with this method had contaminated.

:lol:

It's really cool to see y'all trying this, and even cooler to see it working like it's supposed to! :amazed:

Which reminds me...

Last night I did all the above with a king trumpet oyster cake and made a nice slurry. I used the slurry to inoculate jars of WBS. To compensate for the extra moisture I put a good layer of verm on the bottom of each jar.

Did it work for you? Even if not, inquiring minds want to know!

#63 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

The best results were with the blended rye grain. This had PF albino mycelium on it. It really took off in lots of places after a shake. My problem is at the moment I have poor quality birdseed and it even has peanuts in it. One case of a dozen KTO oyster did,'t take off due to over-wettness.

Heeding good advice in this thread and trying again tonight. I'm off to town to load up on some bonifide good clean grains. Thinking of getting some millet. I'll get pictures asap.

#64 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

this whole tek has given me an idea. something different was tried with 9er tek this time. usually 9er tek is just sucked up into syringes and injected into pf jars. well, this time the leftover solution was poured into grain jars like the above tek and it is about 30% colonised in the time that these jars are 100%. not bad. str8 from clone material.

so leaving out a step and pouring makes things quick and easy. this is awesome tv!

"laziness can sometimes benefit humanity in a positive way"

so ideally, this would be the easiest method one would think. anyone can disagree but it makes things simple by pouring directly into your grain quarts. if you do it quickly, you won't contam anything. even using lc's. the lc's that are being used is just distilled water and mushroom tissue. quickness, leaves no room for contams. if you play your cards right and have no airflow and a clean area, you can get away open air. this is very very useful.

1)you prep all your jars so they are ready to knock up when you take your clone.

2) you follow 9er tek cloning method and you transfer mushroom stem tissue into this jar and blend it like above.

3) you then pour that directly into your quarts, and walla, you have enough live lc's to fill probably close to 50 quarts of a clone. you can't beat that speed. this is using enough liquid to fill half of a 1/2 pint of water and stem tissue. its directly off fruit. so you could extend your time between doing spore work and such tenfold and quickly. when you have a flush, you clone. after around 3 clones, you might want to start from spores again or start back from your first generation clone that you took your first flush. or whatever the situation is. this may even work if you just break up some corn grain spawn and just g2g it directly into the blender jar. then blend, pouring the lc afterward.

anyway....o2

so in roughly 5 days you can have 50 jars if you only have a 10 quart pc. this is due to one pc that can fit 10 jars. so one a day for 5 days is 50 jars. 3-3.5 days after that you will have full colonization. freakin rad!!!!!!!

MARK MY WORDS. THIS THREAD IS THE FUTURE!

there was a bit of wetspot on the bottoms of a few jars. this is easy to isolate. but, just to take warning, using a bit too much water will have pooling water at the bottom and may cause wetspot.

#65 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

this whole tek has given me an idea. something different was tried with 9er tek this time. usually 9er tek is just sucked up into syringes and injected into pf jars. well, this time the leftover solution was poured into grain jars like the above tek and it is about 30% colonised in the time that these jars are 100%. not bad. str8 from clone material.

so leaving out a step and pouring makes things quick and easy. this is awesome tv!

"laziness can sometimes benefit humanity in a positive way"

so ideally, this would be the easiest method one would think. anyone can disagree but it makes things simple by pouring directly into your grain quarts. if you do it quickly, you won't contam anything. even using lc's. the lc's that are being used is just distilled water and mushroom tissue. quickness, leaves no room for contams. if you play your cards right and have no airflow and a clean area, you can get away open air. this is very very useful.

1)you prep all your jars so they are ready to knock up when you take your clone.

2) you follow 9er tek cloning method and you transfer mushroom stem tissue into this jar and blend it like above.

3) you then pour that directly into your quarts, and walla, you have enough live lc's to fill probably close to 50 quarts of a clone. you can't beat that speed. this is using enough liquid to fill half of a 1/2 pint of water and stem tissue. its directly off fruit. so you could extend your time between doing spore work and such tenfold and quickly. when you have a flush, you clone. after around 3 clones, you might want to start from spores again or start back from your first generation clone that you took your first flush. or whatever the situation is. this may even work if you just break up some corn grain spawn and just g2g it directly into the blender jar. then blend, pouring the lc afterward.

anyway....o2

so in roughly 5 days you can have 50 jars if you only have a 10 quart pc. this is due to one pc that can fit 10 jars. so one a day for 5 days is 50 jars. 3-3.5 days after that you will have full colonization. freakin rad!!!!!!!

What kind of crazy wonderful jar lids do you use, filter discs and injection ports and all.. where can I get them?

I'm looking for a blender!

#66 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

bear, those are just the pcable lids you get from the canning company they make them. they have self healing injection ports available at mushroom supply places and at smallpartsinc.com. you can also order the whatman filters that is the white thing sticking out. they are awesome! i believe 6tango was doing this years ago. he actually sent me some of these back in the day that i would use for lc's and such.

Tv

1) don't shake the jars, it takes longer to colonize and..it leaves room for contams

2) the jars were used to spawn. the questionable areas near the bottoms of the jars that had too much liquid and a bit of wetspot were just left in the jars. everything else was spooned out and used as spawn. this is running two large substrates now for a test. using plantasia mystery cubensis strain. the next round is going to be the yellow cap tex clone which should be done soon.:loveeyes:

read two posts above.

with the clone material being poured directly into grain jars from the blending, it was done in about 6 days with one shake. now a clone directly on grain being poured directly from your blender jars! woohoo!

#67 sic

sic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

Props to TV for the work on this tek!

My friend has a Hamilton Beach Blender and the blade setup will work with the mentioned jars. The only thing in question is figuring out a way to sterilize the blade setup. It is plastic and might melt when PC'd. Would dunking it in bleach, peroxide, or alcohol prior to use be a solution to sterilize it?

Posted Image

#68 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,097 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

If it can stand to be boiled, then putting together a blender jar and sterilizing it in a steam canner like can be done with PF Tek jars might work, but chances are the plastic won't hold up well (but it's a good sign if it's dishwasher-safe). Since it's only filled with plain water, it doesn't need 15 psi of steam to sterilize it (just like LC's).

The trouble with bleach would be rinsing it off while maintaining sterility, since you don't really want to blend up a cake in a strong bleach solution.

If the blades can't take boiling I'd try using the Iodophor sanitizing rinse stuff used by restaurants and homebrewers. It is neutralized by warm temperatures, so you could add some at the recommended dilution rate to the water you'd normally put in the blender jar, then put the blades on, secure the lid, and shake it up to sterilize the inside. After a short time, put the jar in a pan of hot water. When the reddish-orange color of the water (caused by the Iodophor) disappears and it's clear again, the sanitizer is neutralized and you can blend a cake in it. You can rinse the outside of the jar with it as well, or just wipe it with alcohol before using it (either way, don't forget to clean the outside too).

Hmm, to tell you the truth, that might be a preferable (easy!) way to do it even if the blades are PCable... I think I'll try some side-by-side comparisons. I just KNOW that somehow it's possible to grow large amounts of mushrooms indoors without a HEPA filter or a pressure cooker. I have both tools, but love a challenge, and combining the PF Tek, airports, LC's, some slurry in a hurry, the reverend's antibacterial grain soak, hot water pasteurization of bulk subs, and whatever else that works might just do it. If yields can approach those of grows using the conventional tools, it would mean shaving hundreds of dollars off the startup cost of producing a lot of fungi. You might then only need those expensive tools if you we're going to do it commercially. My philosophy about mushroom growing methods is Cheaper + Easier + Faster = More people doing it (something I wish to promote). That bumps up against the reality that anyone who builds stuff is aware of: You can only pick two of these for any project- Cheap, Fast, or High-Quality. Eventually, though, I believe we can do it.

#69 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,097 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

Man, I'm really enjoying reading your posts about what you've been doing with this. :headbang:

Putting it out here has resulted in some impressive brainstorming of ideas to improve it; 'Topia is like one big open-source R&D department that never ceases to amaze. :bow:

That's great to hear! I mean, what with all the stock I bought in blender manufacturing companies recently, I sure hope it is! :eusa_pray
  • BallinMYLF likes this

#70 sooshane

sooshane

Hi!

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

Good write up. Though there is nothing really new or original here but lots of added parts and unnecessary complications... 9ner tek is easy. I don't see anything new here. And easier...Throw a cake into a zip-bag with sterile water and crumble it into a slurry and pour into a grain. I was doing that about eight years ago. I am not trying to dis you but, aside from a good pix and write up there is nothing new here.

#71 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,097 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

Good write up. Though there is nothing really new or original here but lots of added parts and unnecessary complications... 9ner tek is easy. I don't see anything new here. And easier...Throw a cake into a zip-bag with sterile water and crumble it into a slurry and pour into a grain. I was doing that about eight years ago. I am not trying to dis you but, aside from a good pix and write up there is nothing new here.

Newness isn't one of the claims I'm making about this, but better precision metering of inoculant for a specific purpose and a possibility for expanding it's capabilities are. You can't quite pour the same amount of slurry into each jar from a bag, but that's only important if you are inoculating a lot of jars or spawn bags. It's a pain in the ass to have a lot of jars at varying degrees of colonization as it just spreads the work over a longer period and staggers harvests, which can screw up a quick turnaround of the fruiting setup (easier to clean it all out at once than a few trays/bins here, a few there; depends on how one is growing). Also, it insures you don't run out of slurry by adding too much to the first hundred or so quarts and running out with a dozen or two still uninoculated. Basically, it's just a durable management tool for economies of scale.

I've tried to point out as clearly as I could that this is not the best method (or even a very good one) for casual growing of a tray or two, or a few bins. If someone is growing in way that can benefit from this method, they will recognize it when they see it. If someone reads it and thinks "WTF??" then they probably don't need it... yet. ;)

#72 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

Iv'e never seen

nothing new here

used so many times in a few sentences.Was it claimed anywhere that this was new, I may have missed something.

What I see is people hybridizing ideas and getting excited about adapaptions. Like the nozzle lid that meters out a good shot of slurry every time.

I'm grateful TV took the time.

Thanks a lot !

H

#73 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

ive always used 9er tek and it is easy. but never thought to blend up a pf cake and use it as an lc like this. don't know why, but its very useful. and wow yes 3 days coloniztion.

this is the best if you use masters in pf jars from clones and such. you can then just shoot an entire syringe of clone material in your pf jar. it will colonize in just about 3-4 days. then you can blend it like so, and have 24 quarts in 3 days. this rocks for speed!

#74 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Props to TV for the work on this tek!

My friend has a Hamilton Beach Blender and the blade setup will work with the mentioned jars. The only thing in question is figuring out a way to sterilize the blade setup. It is plastic and might melt when PC'd. Would dunking it in bleach, peroxide, or alcohol prior to use be a solution to sterilize it?

Posted Image

if that base is plastic its going to pose your biggest problem it will melt to your jar. that is why you want a metal blade assembly namely an osterizer blender. it fits perfectly to a small mouth 1/2 pint lid or quart lid.

#75 sooshane

sooshane

Hi!

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

I in no way meant for that to sound rude and I apologize if it does. It is a good tek and I appreciate the time and effort that when into writing such a complete, thorough and in depth tek. Again, sorry if I sounded like a prick.

#76 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

Its all good.

I see this thread as a kind of hybridization of a few different methods, including the blender method that is in the archives. The things I like about is the sterilizability of the jar and lid set up as well as the blender blade assembly.

The nozzle idea works stellar. I do my pouring in my ghetto glovebox and its easy to do.

One thing I will say is that whole grains like rye seem to be hard to blend with this setup. At first I thought that was a bad thing until I actually looked at the water in the jar after blending. Although the rye kernels stayed whole , the water was absolutely filled with mycelium.

Until now I have been lifting the lid and shaking in splurts of the liquid via the brass nozzle.I have some large 60 CC syringes and was considering sucking up the water layer . A larger gauge tip helps against getting plugged.

With BRF cakes and even WBS it seems that they are pulverized into a true slurry which is quite thick. This would be much to thick for a syringe tip. For this mix the nozzle is excellent.

It gets the wheels rolling around in the head. I have jars of pan mycelium that are overdue to be dealt with as well as , albinos, P. cyans etc. One jar of overlooked LGFLCY mycelium could turn instantly to many , many jars of slurry or insta-LC.

#77 sic

sic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

if that base is plastic its going to pose your biggest problem it will melt to your jar. that is why you want a metal blade assembly namely an osterizer blender. it fits perfectly to a small mouth 1/2 pint lid or quart lid.

There is more than one way to skin a cat! I read all the posts... you did not. TV already made a valid suggestion to the issue if you were paying attention!

:weedpoke:

#78 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

I in no way meant for that to sound rude and I apologize if it does. It is a good tek and I appreciate the time and effort that when into writing such a complete, thorough and in depth tek. Again, sorry if I sounded like a prick.

i didn't find it rude soosh. your cool in my book bro!

There is more than one way to skin a cat! I read all the posts... you did not. TV already made a valid suggestion to the issue if you were paying attention!

hey now, calm down. i was only trying to help you and maybe i missed something. it looked plastic, i didn't want you to face the same problems ive had. sorry for being considerate.

One thing I will say is that whole grains like rye seem to be hard to blend with this setup. At first I thought that was a bad thing until I actually looked at the water in the jar after blending. Although the rye kernels stayed whole , the water was absolutely filled with mycelium.

im thinking the exposed inner grain could cause contams or pose problems. the brf is colonized throughout. so its all mycelia you blend.

#79 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

im thinking the exposed inner grain could cause contams or pose problems. the brf is colonized throughout. so its all mycelia you blend.

Its hard to explain but when you try it with colonized grain you'll see what I mean.

#80 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

oh hyph, did it work? i thought you had it contam when you tried it on the grain before. misunderstood you.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!