• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:56 AM

Evening! After an invitro harvest, I mixed 8 500ml popcorn jars with an equal volume of moistened coir, for a total volume of 6.4 litres, mwa ha! I left the lid loose for some air exchange. To be honest I originally intended to case it, but what the hey, you don't smoke hash every day! :)

I didn't mark the date this was mixed, but I think it was around two weeks ago. Today I switched the lid for saran wrap as the mushies would have forced off the lid and dried out the brave dudes. There is pinning all around and even a couple growing on the bottom; next time I'll put something transparent under the tupperware to get light underneath.

The first pic is around noon today, the second ten hours later. I love neglectfulness... :p I will repeat and grow! Mwa Ha haaa! :D

aaaarrrgh! Sorry folks, my format is invalid and a bmp conversion gives a massive file size. I'll try again tommorrow with a dif prog. Sorry for the anti-climatic moment folks!

#2 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:02 AM

what pic????:)

#3 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:40 PM

Nice to forget about stuff and then have shroomies. :)

Hope we get to see em.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

this sounds great,
looking forward to the pix
more folks need to start moving in this direction,
i.e. grain-coir mixtures, e.g. rez-effect cakes/casings
tell us your experience here in great detail, plz.

#5 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

OK, let's try that again.

First pic yesterday at noon, second last night, third this morning. I've switched the saran wrap again to give space; taped two lengths together, then taped that to the tupperware in spots. There's many spaces for air exchange.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_three.jpg
  • sm_two.jpg
  • sm_one.jpg

#6 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

Lookin nice!

#7 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

OK, that worked, whahoo! FYI, I went to Download.com for STGthumb to get the thumbnail program. I had to convert a low-res digital photo to BMP format, then used this program to create the thumbnail.

Not many other details to add to this beauty...I didn't sterilize the coir before use or use any additives. I harvested the flush of each 500ml popcorn jar, then crumbed the popcorn into the container. I estimated each jar at 400ml of substrate, so 400ml*8 jars=3.2 of coir to match. After I harvest this mass I intend to bleach dunk and repeat exactly like the first time.

I did have some popcorn-verm plus popcorn-coir cakes going, but the difference in ventilation may have proven fatal; I had them upside-down with small holes in the lid. Given this result, I've got five popcorn-verm units sitting right-side-up with their tops loose as well, mixed Feb 20. Hopefully they'll pin soon.

In the next few days I'll birth some wbs and mix some with verm/coir...one 500ml jar making two 500ml jar mixes in a 2:1:1 wbs:verm:coir ratio. I'm wondering if I should do a couple jars with just wbs/verm and wbs/coir...I'll decide when I get there.

In other news, with the use of bleach dunking I've managed to reach second flush on popcorn pies, ALSO wrapped in saran wrap, Mwa ha!

Pics included are the pie in second flush, a pop-verm mix of one jar + 400 ml moistened verm, and my new posters that I hope to properly look at when I can get the time. Can someone work for me so I can go mushing..?

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_fractal.jpg
  • sm_magic valley.jpg
  • sm_pop-verm.jpg
  • sm_crystal flower.jpg
  • sm_pie.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

i'd use more coir and less verm.

#9 disturbed

disturbed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

i'd use more coir and less verm.

I've had problems with full colonization when using verm for the rez effect, but problem was cured when i switched to coir... The myc rips right through the coir

#10 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

Whahoo! I'm immortalized!

Interesting. I'll try doing some more popcorn units with the 2:1:1 popcorn:verm:coir ratio soon. I did a 2L popcorn/verm mix that did start growing a mushroom, but then aborted for unknown reasons...that was one upside-down...perhaps that was part of the problem. The set of single-jar popcorn/verm units I have running now right-side-up may address if that was the case.

What's also pleasing me is seing 2nd flush popcorn pies with my saranwrap method. While half have died of trich, it is improving. A contributing factor to the problems of the 2nd flush making it may have been excessive casing; I was putting on a good half-inch and I realize a quarter-inch would be better.

I'm curious just how big I could make a mix like this. The popcorn/coir mix is a total 6.4 litres... I've got a similar plastic tub roughly four times it's size... maybe I'll give it a shot when I've got more spawn than means to grow. Not in the next couple months, tho.

I'll start a series of neglectful verm/coir mixes in the next week, some with popcorn and others with wbs, and post the results.

Thanks folks!

#11 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:24 AM

Here again this evening...

Looks like harvest next day, need to decide on printing some of these. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_1.jpg

#12 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

Just prior to harvest time! I took two prints. I'll post the dry weight in 24hrs.

Almost forgot; Mwa Ha haaa! :) :D

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_final.jpg

#13 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

Ended up very nice, good to see. :)

Congrats.

#14 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

I'd recommend laying a sheet of wax paper over the casing instead of saran wrap.

#15 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

looks purty. This really is the way to get the most out of grain. I do the same thing with whole brown rice and coir and get similar results. Rez effect rocks, its the way to go if you're too lazy to go bulk just yet like me :)

#16 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:54 PM

Heh. Dry harvest is just over two ounces! I did notice that droplets had fallen, and a few kernels became loose. I removed any loose or suspect.

Wax paper...at the moment I know nothing of it; I'm guessing it will allow some air exchange? The issue for me is how much humidity will be lost, as I'm in a low-humidity locale. Do you think it would do well for both issues?

In other news, all five of my popcorn-verm mixes are pinning! Methinks I'll have to do sets of mixes: verm, verm/coir & coir, and try to see which is more productive & reliable.

For the glory of the mush! Foorwaaard!!

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_popcorn-verm.jpg

#17 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:39 AM

looks great , i like how you had mushies growing all over, even on the sides and bottom area.

not bad for something you forgot about.!!

#18 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:58 AM

Thanks. Next time I'll have the container sitting up a few inches so the whole bottom gets light.

#19 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:34 AM

Death has come. Within only a couple days after bleach dunking I've got trich on my baby. It may have come from a pie a few feet away, though that was wrapped in saran-wrap. I'll have to look at a cleaner setup...

All that lives dies. At least these popcorn kernels lived well in their time. A martyr for the rest!

#20 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:09 AM

Bummer. At least it spit out some monsters before killing over. ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!