• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 weepwoop

weepwoop

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

I have a whole bunch of sassafras bark, what can be done with it? Can it be extracted like MHRB? Does anyone have any ideas.
thanks,
Steve

#2 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

its usually steam distilled to produce sassafras oil

#3 AmBe

AmBe

ubuntu

• Free Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

i googled it and read a few things

What side effects should I watch for?

Major Side Effects
Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. In humans, liver damage can take years to develop and it may not have obvious signs. Your . A doctor may have to test an individual’s liver function to diagnose it. A doctor should be notified immediately by individuals who take or use any sassafras product and who experience:
  • Excessive fatigue
  • Extreme widespread itchiness
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Pain or swelling in the upper right part of the abdomen
  • Yellowing of the skin or the white parts of the eyes
Sassafras oil ingestion by adults has been reported to cause:
  • Dangerously fast heartbeat
  • Hallucinations that may persist for several days or weeks
  • Miscarriage
  • Paralysis
  • Death
Less Severe Side Effects
Adults who took sassafras oil by mouth have experienced:
  • Drowsiness
  • Excessive sweating
  • Extreme confusion
  • Fatigue
  • High blood pressure
  • Vomiting

#4 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

most of the time it would be done to yield reasonable amounts, and then something like mda would be extracted from that.

i believe there is a native american tribe that used calamus although i'm not sure of its preperation.

#5 weepwoop

weepwoop

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

So I know that it can be used to produce mda but how, any books that will tell me or any info available.
thanks,
Steve

#6 Dan21

Dan21

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

i googled it and read a few things

What side effects should I watch for?

Major Side Effects
who experience:

• Excessive fatigue
  • Extreme widespread itchiness
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Pain or swelling in the upper right part of the abdomen
  • Yellowing of the skin or the white parts of the eyes
Sassafras oil ingestion by adults has been reported to cause:
  • Dangerously fast heartbeat
  • Hallucinations that may persist for several days or weeks
  • Miscarriage
  • Paralysis
  • Death
Less Severe Side Effects
Adults who took sassafras oil by mouth have experienced:
  • Drowsiness
  • Excessive sweating
  • Extreme confusion
  • Fatigue
  • High blood pressure
  • Vomiting

Wow when im almost dead this is how i wnt to go out hallucinations that last a whole week ect. guess there are a few things i could live without..:eusa_snoo

#7 Delafonze19

Delafonze19

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

Safrol oil is an MDMA precusor

In my area some younger people were marketing pills they called sassafras. The made people halucinate but in a weird delerious way. I am not sure exactlly what they were. Any ideas? MDME or some other analog

#8 AcidBassist

AcidBassist

phenethylamaniac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

Sassafras root bark is typically steam distilled to yield sassafras oil. This essential oil is then used for making soap or other useful products. Be careful though, I believe sassy oil is a watched chem in the US.

#9 abaca

abaca

jerk of all trades

• VIP
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

IMHO that sounds like scare tactics. There are much better substances to hallucinate on. But as a herb, it can be used constructively and safe. The following text comes from 'Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers' by Stephen Harrod Buhner. A great read BTW, there is a chapter titled 'Psychotropic and Highly Inebriating Beers'. The section on Sassafras is in the 'Beers and Ales from Sacred and Medicinal Plants' chapter.

"The sassafras tree has been used for healing by American Indians for hundreds if not thousands of years, being one of the primary remedies of the continent. . . Though all parts of the have been used in herbal practice, the most effective (in American Practice) was considered to be the bark of the root. . . The root was used primarily as a 'spring tonic and blood purifier.' Like many herb classified as such, it helps liver function, helps cleanse the bloodstream of accumulated toxins from a monotonous winter diet, and provides a warming stimulation to all parts of the body. . . The root contains about 9% volatile oil. . . In the latter part of the twentieth century, the FDA determined that the dominate chemical in the volatile oil, safrole (which comprises about 80% of the volatile oil), was carcinogenic and banned its use in the USA. . . However, the tribes in whose region sassafras grows used it extensively, and there are few if any historical accounts of cancer among them. Cancer is a disease of industrialized man and is rarely present in indigenous cultures. . . 'the safrol in a 12oz can of old fashion root beer is not as carcinogenic as the alcohol in the can of beer.' The FDA ban is thus, like many FDA bans, absurd. . . Oil of sassafras Ha been found to be antiseptic, stimulant, diuretic, carminative, alterative and diaphoretic. Due to the FDA ban, little research can occur on sassafras, and no practicing herbalist can legally use it clinically. Both these conditions preclude its being a part of the current herbal renewal. I use it personally and find it a delightful herb. . . Throughout the range of its growth it was used for colds and flu, as a tonic, as a blood purifier, for circulatory conditions such as high blood pressure, as a vermifuge, for fevers, and for rheumatic and arthritic aches and pains. . . Finally, the leaves of the plant highly mucilaginous and are excellent as poultice. It is my belief that all parts of the plant posses antibacterial and antifungal properties."
As you can see opinions very greatly. I actually have some on order from BBB and will be brewing with it soon.

#10 Delafonze19

Delafonze19

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

safrol causes cancer and ephedrine causes strokes. DEA can't ban everything they need the FDA to help too.
I almost forgot MDMA will eat a hole in your brain like a tapeworm(or was that an 8 ball of meth we were feeding the rats, oh well its poison ban it)

#11 witchdr11

witchdr11

Shamanic Vibes

• Free Member
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

It' still a bit unclear how much true damage MDMA will do. It's clear that it effects serotonin pathways, but it's not clear what behavior changes these cause. It has been shown that where serotonin pathways are damaged, they sprout robustly almost like a plant that has been pruned. It could be that the damage is temporary at worst.

Single and low dose MDMA seem to have very little negative impact if any on people. It looks like the major damage is done in the all night 10 pill binges where the stress on the system is sustained.

Though definitely not a great thing to abuse, I know plenty of people that have eaten tons of MDMA and they still seem well adjusted and having all their faculties intact.

I have personally indulged in enough MDMA to have fried every brain on Topia if it's something that is going to fry brains, but I'm still just fine, or at least I'm not feeling any dumber or broken for having eaten all those pills.

I'm not advocating it for anyone, I just wanted to point out that not all the facts are in to conclude that the damage is as serious as reported.

Anyway, unless you are an excelent chemist, I don't think there is much you will get out of safrole oil. MDMA synth is serious business and serious time.

#12 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

so you get piperonylacetone, or safrole from the rootbark of Sassafras albidum?

#13 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

yes.

#14 fender1212

fender1212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:54 AM

ok, let me do some bullshit clearing. a recent study done by a german scientist showed that the "brain damage" caused by mdma "regrew" after 3 months. That is that after 3 months the patients brain cells that they originally that were "dead" were back. In other words mdma damages brain cells but does not completely kill them. Within a 3 month time period they will have completely come back into full use (that is if you do continue repeated use). Now, aside from brain cell damage, lets talk about seratonin receptor damage. If you take mdma within a 2 week time span (that is, if you don't wait at least a full 2 weeks in-between taking the drug to take it again) you are permanently damaging your seratonin receptors. So if you don't give a shit about your brain cells AT LEAST take 2 weeks in-between dosage if you care anything about your general happiness and well-being. Now, onto Sassafras. pills being sold as sassafras are MDA that is extracted from sassafras oil. I'm told some of the pills are a combination of both MDA and MDMA. now here's the real kicker. Sassafras essential oil (as sold in health stores and hippy shops) is....essentially, 90% Sassafras oil.

#15 Delafonze19

Delafonze19

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

OK, maybe my sarcasm didn't come through as clearly as I would have liked it to. But thanks for the info fender.

#16 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

sassafras essential oil is nearly non-existent nowadays, and a purchase of it in quantities large enough for mdma manufacture will almost certainly arouse dea suspicions.

sassafras root bark still walks the line of legality however. and if you're equipped enough (and skilled enough) to do an mdma synth, then getting the oil out of the rootbark is child's play.

IF you want to continue down this path, a good way to collect the oil would be a steam distillation followed by extraction with chloroform, then distill off the chloroform under vacuum, leaving you with a sweet smelling liquid that is ~85% safrole. From there you can set up a fractional distillation under high vacuum to distill to around 98-99% which is what you must have to continue from there. If any of that is over your head, then I'd suggest just leaving it be, or gifting it to someone who knows what they are doing. If you must continue (purely hypothetically, in a search for knowledge, of course) a copy of the rhodium archives if they are still floating around somewhere is an excellent place to start.

#17 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

wow, i just noticed you said "bark" not "root bark". the bark itself is next to useless ime, very hard to process, with little oil in return.

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• VIP
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

Safrole can be turned into MDA which can then make MDMA, and everybody I know who's had pure MDA said they liked it a lot more than pharmaceutical MDMA. It was the original "hug drug," so why bother taking the extra step to make MDMA at all? (well, ok, there's the weight thing, but if making it for personal use and not to sell I'd save myself the trouble and stick with the MDA).

Anybody know how much root bark is needed to make it worthwhile? I have access to many acres of woods that are covered in sassafras. I guess the next question is How hard is it to do the initial steam extraction?

#19 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

Safrole can be turned into MDA which can then make MDMA, and everybody I know who's had pure MDA said they liked it a lot more than pharmaceutical MDMA. It was the original "hug drug," so why bother taking the extra step to make MDMA at all? (well, ok, there's the weight thing, but if making it for personal use and not to sell I'd save myself the trouble and stick with the MDA).

Anybody know how much root bark is needed to make it worthwhile? I have access to many acres of woods that are covered in sassafras. I guess the next question is How hard is it to do the initial steam extraction?

Funny enough, I've never actually weighed the bark before processing, mainly because its still wet and messy. But I'd say you'd need at least a five gallon bucket full of decent sized roots to be worthwhile for a synth.

However, the question you should really be asking is, "how hard is it to harvest ROOTS." And the answer is, pretty hard. Big trees are a no go for the most part without some form of a trench digger maybe, although they do have a lateral root system, so i suppose it could be done. Your best bet is to look for lots of saplings or anything under 10 ft which you can dig around and pull out with a truck or possibly four wheeler. It's a lot of fucking work no matter how you do it, unless you have access to some blasting supplies...:reb:

As for the steam distillation, it's easy enough if you have the proper equipment. (2L round bottom, hotplate/stirrer, condenser, distillation head, lab thermometer, receiving flask and stands/clamps to support it all) Basically just grind the bark as fine as possible (the bark is really easy to work with wet, you can peel it with your hands on big roots), then cover it with distilled water in the round bottom and distill. You'll get a cloudy, sweet smelling water which can then be extracted with a nonpolar (chloroform works best, although you need to take it off afterwards under vacuum) I guess you could probably just evap off the water, although I've never tried that, and I have a feeling it would take quite a while.

#20 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Or a person could use the steam from a pressure cooker to pass through an amount of ground bark between two screens in a pipe or tube, bucket or similar. You'd get a hydrosol then you could either extract as stated above - or use an oil separator as is common for standard steam distillation apparati

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sassafras

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!