• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

The thread has been tagged already by TV.

I had these mites in grain spawn one time. I looked around in my room and there were mites all over a bail of straw I had stored in leaf bag. Man, they were everywhere! I wiped every single thing down in that room with bleach water and bombed it. If i'm not mistaken, I still had problems even after that. I can't remember.

#22 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

They kind of look like aphids.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I was really surprised they had gotten' into my grain jars. I almost croaked when I saw them all over the black leaf bag.

#24 nrthlndr27

nrthlndr27

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

Since you all liked the picks so much I found two more that came out alright. I'm using an 8 mega pixel set on macro from about a cm or so away, so you can get an idea of how small these critters are.

It's really interesting that you mention the straw in a garbage bag. That's how I'd been keeping my straw bale outside (standing upright to repel rain covered in a black plastic bag). Didn't think to check for massive fungus mite infestations before use! :eek: The batch with the bad infection was from straw treated with steam (wallpaper steamer method) and I'm almost certain it did not get pasteurized well enough. A second batch from the same straw (more thorough steaming) is fruiting pretty nicely. The batches co-mingled in the same FC for a bit so I'm keeping my eye (and magnifying glass handy)...

Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• MushieMites3.jpg
  • MushieMites2.jpg

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

:kewl:
thx for sharing
:bow:

#26 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

are they mainly on the caps?? i didnt notice any on the stems......

#27 nrthlndr27

nrthlndr27

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Not sure since they blend in colorwise. I did notice them crawling all over on and in the coir casing in the first tray I threw out, if thats any help. Just looked them up in TMC... Per Stamets "Mites are known to eat mushrooms and their mycelia. Additionally they devalue the crop and crawl onto pickers, causing temporary discomfort. Their presence is an indication of unsatisfactory substrate preparation and insufficient pasteurization times and/or temperatures."

I cleaned out my FC as a precaution, but I think they came in with the under-pasteurized straw I was using rather than migrating in by some other means.

#28 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

diatomaceous earth might be of use here---it is non toxic if food grade is used--some links with info are below

Diatomaceous Earth

Perma-Guard, Diatomaceous Earth Natural Products

BulkFoods.com Fruits & Nuts, Chocolates & Candy, Spices & Seasonings, Gifts & Snack Mixes.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth - For Human and Animal Consumption - Buy Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and read the Testimonials!!! - Fossil Shell Flour Diatomaceous Earth is used for internal and external use. The popularity of Diatomaceous Earth is t

"Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heat and chemically treated and will poison an animal or human who ingests it, so it is always of utmost importance to only obtain food grade DE to use in and around your household."

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!