• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 elainefaerie

elainefaerie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

OK, so it's my first attempt at growing, and I probably chose a more complicated method than is recommended for a beginner, but that's just me. I'm a little concerned about the way it's looking after the PC, and wanted to ask a few questions..

First, the bird seed I used did had milo, millet, cracked corn and black sunflower seeds. I pulled out the sunflower seeds, but is the cracked corn going to present a problem? My mixture seems kind of starchy and is sticking together more than it looks like it should.

Second, and this may be the problem more than the cracked corn, is after I put them in for a soak, I took a brief trip to the hospital, and so did not get to re-rinse, put into jars, and PC for two and a half days -- perhaps they got too hydrated?

They're cooling now, but I don't want to innoculate bad jars -- any insight? Should I just start over? Thanks in advance for the quick replies! -e

Attached Thumbnails

• wbs pic.jpg
  • wbs pic 2.jpg

#2 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

shake them so the moist bottom seeds are mixed with the more dry top seeds. then nocc it up ;)

#3 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

IMO

those look wrong.

I would prolly knock em up anyway, but in the future you want to see no smooshed wet seeds at all. Just good hydrated WBS with no moisture in the bottom. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but jars that look like that never seem to colonize for me.

Others may disagree.

Gluck!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01345.JPG

#4 kjeeks

kjeeks

stranger with candy

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

I skipped pf tek and went straight to WBS also with great success so far i think you encountered the main problem with that which is getting the water content right. WBS can be pretty dirty. did you do a 24 hour soak before to germinate contamination spores ? this step can be skipped with success but i dont recommend it. endo spores can sometimes survive the pc process and when germinated first they are killed much easier.

I recommend a 24 hour soak. then simmer you wbs to get the right water content this IME makes it easier than adding water to jars and pcing. i simmer for 20 - 30 mins and periodically check the wbs by crushing a small amount in my fingers. You want the seed soft all the way trough but not burst open like u see in the bottom of the jar in your pic. once u have simmered to the right water content u will want to rinse it well a couple times then drain ALL the water off well then load your jars. this should get the WBS perfect for a 90 min pc run

I have successfully colonized jars that look mushy in the bottom like yours in the pic. it will take much longer to colonize and may give u problems. unless u got a lot of spores to burn i would recommend trying another round and getting the water content lower.

as far as corn being you problem i cant help you. i never used wbs with it.

Good luck

KG

#5 elainefaerie

elainefaerie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

i *have* shaken them up, several times in fact, but they keep wanting to create this dense jar-shaped clump in the bottom.. even though i get it to separate when i shake it, it ends up doing the same thing again. you really think i should still innoculate? -e

#6 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

I would just dump it and start over. But if you have some LC or lots of spores, go for it. You can learn why it doesn't work and make some more with the right h20 content ASAP.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

No. Those are WAY wet. Start anew.

#8 elainefaerie

elainefaerie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

since i followed the other instructions pretty much to a T, it must have been soaking them for two and a half days? or could it have been the cracked corn? i'm just wondering if i should just run out and try to get different birdseed.. thanks! -e

#9 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Looks to me that they were not drained well enuff after hydration. Give em a good strain after you wash em good with some cold H20 after you simmer. Drain them for 45min-hr untill they are no longer drippin:rasta:

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

2.5 days is WAY too long. That seed you have there is fine, as well as the sunflower seeds. Follow this technique to the tee and you'll be fine.

http://mycotopia.net...-technique.html

#11 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Like Laz said. I've made the same mistake, got a nice crop of mold.

Also, about 1/4 to 1/3-jar headspace is nice; allows shaking during colonization if you're into that, and I've had generally better results that way.

#12 vitae1234

vitae1234

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

A quick tip other than moisture balance advice...

Shaking the jars while they're still hot is a great way to avoid starchy clumps.

Open the PC soon after it's depressurized, grab a couple pot holders, and shake the heck out of the jars.

Jars as gooey as yours have given FOAF nothing but bacterial problems, I'd empty them and try again. WBS is cheap.

FOAF cold soaks for 24 hours maximum, rinses, then drains in a colander for a few hours. Some cracked corn in the mix is not a problem.

#13 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Good tip!!:bow::bow:

#14 Nzo

Nzo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

yeah looks like they burst and
that much starch is bound to fail.

becareful if you simmer your WBS i can burst them

#15 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

you burster of WBS you!!

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

cracked corn is part of the problem here.
the real culprit for that mess
is starch
that wasn't rinsed off well enough.
burst grain releases starch
which is why we avoid bursting the kernels open.
but with cracked corn
every kernel is already burst, broken open
and dumping all that starch in the mix.

#17 elainefaerie

elainefaerie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

for your great input. i'm a smidge of a perfectionist, so i'm about to make 45 minute trek to a feed store to buy the individual ingredients to make my OWN birdseed, without cracked corn. oy! this is going to be a long day...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!