• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

There have been some folks asking about my fruiting chamber setup for Pan Cyans, I thought I would go ahead and write up the details of the chamber. Before I get started I would like to thank the Topia for all the knowledge I’ve sucked up here.

Item List

(1) 64 Qt Sterilite Snap-Lid Container
(1) Tropic-Aire Reptile Air Exchanger / Humidifier
(1) 60 Gallon Aquarium Pump
(1) Grocery Bag or so full of Perlite
(1) Air Line 8ft
(2) Air Line Coupler
(1) Bottle of h202
-A Drill and a 11/64 drill bit

Maintenance Items

- Perlite
- Air Line
- Air Stones

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1199656206

• Making sure to stay below the Perlite level; I start with drilling 6 small holes along each side, and 10 or so on the bottom of the Sterilite container. Once the holes are drilled I rinse out the container to remove the plastic pieces from drilling.
http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72654&stc=1&d=1199655936

• I measure the airline by matching it up to a bit before I drill a hole on the top of the lid to one side, this hole will allow us to run the airline into the FC. Then I rinse the lid off to remove the plastic pieces.
http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72652&stc=1&d=1199655936

• I run the airline (supplied with the Tropic-Aire) through the hole in the top about 10 inches and leave the rest hanging out the top.

• Get the bottom portion of the container and put it in your shower, Wet the Perlite with the shower before pouring into the container. Once the Perlite is in the container I let the shower rinse it out for a couple minutes, letting it drain through the holes we created earlier.
(shows Perlite depth)
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1199655936

• Once the Draining is finished I set my FC on a towel on top of a cardboard box in my closet. This keeps the FC about 16 inches off the ground. I suggest keeping a FC of this design elevated. I cut the air line about 2 feet from where it goes into the FC and put a coupler there. The coupler is there to test airflow by disconnecting and putting is next to your ear. If you get a tickle its working :thumbup: .
http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72651&stc=1&d=1199655936

• I run the line to the discharge portion of the Tropic-Aire, then I rig up the Air Distribution Bar with the provided suction cups on the inside of the FC lid.
http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72653&stc=1&d=1199655936

• I fill the Tropic-Aire with water and add a little h202 with it. I run the intake line from the Tropic-Aire into the reducer suplied with the pump. I cut the line between the air pump and the Tropic-Aire to insert a coupler for another serviceable point.
http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72650&stc=1&d=1199655936

• I also prefer to run a heating mat below my FC under the towel, I use a cheap heating pad on the low setting. Although I highly recommend a dry/moist pad, heating cables or a seedling mat instead. Target temps are 78-82f.

*The Pump runs 24/7 due to its low draw

Thoughts:

When building this I wanted to most effective way for removing Co2, which is why I chose to place holes at the bottom of the FC. The slight positive pressure generated by the air pump should help to alleviate contams. Most of our nasties seem to be anaerobic.

By having the Perlite at the bottom this controls pooling and also helps raise RH when the heating pad is on due to evaporation. By raising the temp you allow the air to carry more moisture as well.

Cheers

-feds

P.S. Please feel free to suggest improvements

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2986.JPG
  • IMG_.JPG
  • IMG_2979.JPG
  • IMG_2977.JPG
  • IMG_2976.JPG
  • IMG_2975.JPG
  • IMG_2974.JPG
  • IMG_2973.JPG
  • Tek 006.jpg

• eatyualive and like this

#2 Nzo

Nzo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

w0ot pan cyan!! cant wait to see your results..
lol i love that smiley face next to "lots of pans"
G00D LUCK

#3 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

Easy as 1,2,3... Nice write up feds.

#4 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

Are pan cyans that much differnt to grow than cubes?

#5 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks CM :thumbup:

Are pan cyans that much differnt to grow than cubes?

They are different in that they more fae for maximum yield and keeping the RH high at the same time. Not difficult, just different.

The results have been documented as this is the same FC design Ive used for a while.

http://mycotopia.net...n-cyan-fun.html

http://mycotopia.net...goliath-go.html

http://mycotopia.net...tjim-style.html

Cheers,

-feds

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thank you sir !

:bow:

#7 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

thanks for sharing your methods :bow:
why are your holes by the perlite? any reason for that?
no other holes at the top?

#8 abbr.

abbr.

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

feds, would you mind telling roughly what the
tropic aire and pump cost.
This looks like a nice addition to the FC I just made.
Nice write up, thanks

#9 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

When building this I wanted to most effective way for removing Co2, which is why I chose to place holes at the bottom of the FC.

no holes at the top :)

-feds

#10 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

:bow:

#11 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

feds, would you mind telling roughly what the
tropic aire and pump cost.
This looks like a nice addition to the FC I just made.
Nice write up, thanks

Sorry I didnt see this earlier bro,

The Tropic-Aire is around 22 bucks at Petco, the Pump if I recall correctly was around 15 bucks at Walmart.

Thanks again,

feds

#12 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

We Got A Saxophone, Cuz We Got A Band....

Saxaphone is Grand!!!

Nice Fed!!:bow::bow::bow:

#13 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

tropic-aire easy build right?

Attached Thumbnails

• ttopic aire terrarium humidifier.jpg

#14 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

You could, but right now online at Petsmart they are on sale for 15 bucks :)

Probaly spend more than that in materials and labor anyway. But if you can make replacement sponges that would be really cool.

We Got A Saxophone, Cuz We Got A Band....

Saxaphone is Grand!!!

Nice Fed!!:bow::bow::bow:

Simples are Grand :thumbup:

-feds

#15 Seee

Seee

Corn Commander

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

i like the smiley face LULZ

#16 MycoViator

MycoViator

Wall growing ninja

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Instead of sponges, try perlite. I have a background in reptile enclosure installation and maintenance , and IMHO, the tropicaire is a rather inefficient design. A really ghetto tropic-Aire can be rigged with a old soda bottle or milk jug, a section of hard airline (think tiny clear pvc pipe) and polyfill/perlite/hydroton . MS PAINT here I come!

#17 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

that is a badass FC feds :D
nice thread :thumbup:

#18 MycoViator

MycoViator

Wall growing ninja

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

This is intended as a simple 'drop-in' replacement to the tropic-aire. This design is pretty basic, I have some crazy ideas for a ghetto-engineering marvel.

Hope my idea is conveyed adequately via such high tech glossy computar grapicks. :rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1199763407

- Take a suitable container, this one is a empty 3-liter soda bottle and wash it out really well. We're not trying to make a flat soda LC here!

- Drill 2 holes for the hard airline, if you make the holes perfectly round and just slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the airline it will make a seal on its on. A dab of silicone, hot glue, epoxy, old gum or whatever will seal it if you botch this delicate operation.

- Measuring is for the Well-Adjusted... there will be none of that PeteTankyery here! This design uses 2 lengths of hard airline. One goes from top down to the bottom of the container. The other just stick in about an inch into the top. These hard airlines can be bent like glass rods by adding heat to the intended bend point. They are plastic, so go easy on the flames, pyro! I stick my regular air hose onto the ends of the hard airline, instant nozzle

- Optional gear... If you used the 3 liter bottle, you can add a T-connector to the bottom of the long line to help diffuse the airflow through the perlite. I also added an airstone to the end of the short line to keep perlite from clogging the airhose.

- Fill the container with a humidifying medium of your choice. You rinsed the medium out before using, right?! Allow room to get your hard airline pieces down in there. I have filled until laying the bottle on it's side clears a path to the bottom. I used perlite, but polyfill, open pore sponges, hydroton (round lava pellets), and hundreds of other materials would work here. Even a few inches of water in a otherwise empty container might work ok for smaller FC's with a lighter airflow.

- Assemble the assembly. Don't screw the cap on yet, there is no H2O yet!
Leaving enough of a gap with the unscrewed cap, fill with about 2 inches of water . The water should be high enough to get bubblage from the bottom when air flows though. Just like perlite in a FC, too much water is bad news. Screw the cap on tight and swish the water around to saturate the medium. Might need to top up the water after this step.

- Make sure everything is hooked up, tight and good to go. Turn on the air and enjoy!

I made 2 of these I used in a Poison Dart Frog enclosure to supplement a ultrasonic fogger. I ran one at a time, swapping as they dried out. I would fill the dried one with a mild bleach solution for about an hour to sterilize. I made a small drain hole with a thumbtack on the very bottom of the bottle to drain the bleach. Cover that hole with a small piece of duct tape when filled. Adding horizontal baffles to the vertical column can help increase humidity by maximizing contact if the airflow rate is high, but makes assembly 10x harder.

These kinds of devices can be a huge breeding pit for contams, so be ever vigilant.

Attached Thumbnails

• tropicaire.jpg

#19 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

thanks for putting this up feds. foaf needs to add perlite the tropic aire alone is posing problems. foaf is only seeing about 80% rh alone. with only one tube directed into one chamber.

#20 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

in this picture the red part where the air stone is would this work correctly. i know for a air stone to work properly you must submerse in the water hr. would the rh level be enough for it not to dry out? im about to try this.

edit: nevermind that i just figured it out.

http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72774&stc=1&d=1199763407

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!