Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PC'ed Mycelium Survives! wait, that's trich !

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

The 106F thermal death is saying that if your incubation temps reach this point for an extended period - your mycelium will croak...
The Hot agar method allows for a window of opportunity where the myc can grow up thru the new fresh layer b4 the contam does and then be transferred cleanly to a new plate..

#42 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Hip Coyote,

That's interesting and I understand the process and idea now. However, I do have some questions rolling around in my head. Like how does the Cubensis Mycelium survive? Is Staments wrong again in saying that the thermal death is 106f for cubensis? If you see a contamination like mold then most likely by that point it has already given off it's spores. Pasteurization is about 99.9% efficient. The thermal death points for most bacteria, molds and spores during pasteurization are as follows, 212F - to 185 F, when heated for a few seconds; 180 F for 2 minutes; 170 F for 5 minutes; 140 F for 20 minutes. Even some thermolphilic fungi and it's spores can only survive up to about 145f.

Seems like it would just be easier to section and isolate but I have some colonized plates that I think will get some heat play.

Question for Lazlo. What temp (approx) are you pouring at?

Near boiling point.

Sometimes (for me anyways) it's easier to do this method rather than trying to shave a very small amount of growth off of the top of the inoculation. Sometimes bacteria just explodes on an inoculation and all you're left with is a tiny bit of mycelial growth on the surface. With my shaky hands it's easier to just do this method and acquire a bacterial free mushroom mycelium on the new layer. Then you can transfer that new growth to a fresh plate a lot easier. It's actually the same amount of steps, but with the hot agar pour you're almost guaranteed to have a bacteria free culture when it grows through. With a shady transfer, you're not.

#43 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

pic of the contam.Picture 105.jpg

#44 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Trichodermia :puke:

#45 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

ah, i thought it might be trich,
from the very first photo.
just wasn't sporulating [green] yet.

#46 AlterdImage

AlterdImage

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

trich is friggen persistent huh? I had bacteria survive the PC a couple times and have bought 1/2 gallons of rye that were contaminated with baccilus from a non-mycotopia vendor. It is really frustrating when you PC and it isn't enough. It happens to me with wbs more than anything...well actually I have never been successful with popcorn either....

I have a compost bag that had a small spot of trich forming, I cut it off but another small patch appeared, so I cut it off too, trying to not disturb it as much as possible. I have read on some sites that they put 1 tspn or tblspn of bleach in a gallon of dunkwater, does that hurt the myc? Any suggestions? The bag started pinning tons but I noticed side-pinning cuz I blacked it out with blue tape instead of black and apparently it got too much light anyway, so I was thinking maybe cuz it took so long to colonize that maybe it needs a dunk. It is wierd cuz only a few turned black like a usual abort, the rest just are less than an inch and been that size for a week or so.

#47 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

I was doing some experiments with ziplocks that contained actively growing Trichoderma.
Trying to see what pasteurization temps would effectively kill the mold..

The result was that even after 212F for 2 hours, the mold rapidly regenerated on the compost , even though initially, it looked pretty well fried...

#48 norcal21

norcal21

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

1 tspn or tblspn of bleach in a gallon of dunkwater, does that hurt the myc? Any suggestions?

i have done this and it didnt hurt the myc at all.

i also have this "maxicrop" liquid seaweed that i by mistake dunked a cake in after the first flush thinking it was plain water and it was a mix for my seedlings.....didnt kill the myc yet but its back in the FC so we will see what happens

take care
norcal21

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!