• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

hello mycos, i thought i'd take a minute to share my progress with agar. At first I tried germinating plates from syringes and got no success. Then i found myself with a B+ print (:bow:), which i cut a tiny corner off of with some alcohol rubbed scissors and placed spores-down on a plate. This grew out in about a week, though there were two spots of contamination. I didn't get any pics of this first plate, and now it's been tossed, but the contaminated spots were small and pretty far from the myc. I transfered to two new plates, and both looked clean and healthy. I'm now on the third transfer, and finally took a minute to get some pics. So, here they are:

I think i'm starting to be able to see some sectoring in the third xfer dishes, though it's kind of hard to tell where the sector boundaries are. Any tips on that would be sweet. The dish with three cultures is neat, as you can clearly see the zones of inhibition, where incompatible strains meet. The idea is to take a small piece from the center of each strain, at the edge of the myc so as to get the most vigorous growth. Right? Put each on its own dish and grow out, repeat until there's no more sectoring. Then transfer to grain and fruit each isolate until i get a keeper.

I have decided that agar is really fun! I like being able to watch the cultures spread and interact, and I feel like I'm developing a more intimate understanding of the mycelium. I'll try to keep this thread updated as things develop.

- peace

Attached Thumbnails

• 2xfer - 3 points.JPG
  • 3 innoc points - from above.JPG
  • 2xfer - big.JPG
  • 3 innoc points - from below.JPG
  • big blob.JPG
  • small blob.JPG
  • culture borders.JPG

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 August 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#2 tecnikal

tecnikal

dos3d

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

awesome pics bro, I am also currently exploring agar methods

#3 donpuro

donpuro

rorororo

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

nice pics....my potato flake / honey / water agar failed :[ ... ill have to get another batch going.

#4 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

beautiful agar pics.. howd you take it? lol

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

Still really new to agar myself so I'll be watching your results with interest.
Did my first transfers yesterday. I just selected the most dense, aggressive growth and didn't really pay attention to where it was in relation to the germination point.
Also attempted some more tissue cloning which has been really fun.
Agar definately adds another facet to this fascinating hobby.

How did you take pics of your plates?

#6 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

very nice!

#7 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

From what I understand, The most vigorus ( fast growing ) and rhizomorphic ( large ropey strands of mych) sectors are what you want to transfer to grian or other suitable spawn.

[See] Sharkie Jones thread on Agar

There is more here

Hope this helps

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 August 2015 - 10:48 AM.
Fixed links

#8 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

I like the two 'arms' at the bottom.

Nice job GH

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

There appears to be another fungal culture growing in this plate as well. See the line? That happens when a particular species runs into another one.

post-8821-138185730862.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 August 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#10 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

thanks for the replies, guys! floppypeter, that pic is really helpful, i knew i'd seen something like that here before, but couldn't find it when i was looking. vinz: i took these pics by setting the plates on top of the plexiglass lid of my germicidal hepa desk and shining a desklamp up through them, like this:

desk.JPG

and lazlo: the dish in that pic has three pieces of myc in it, but all from the same species and strain. you can see the little agar peices i transfered from at the center of each culture. i just figured i'd save on plates if i used more than one innoc point per plate, at least while i'm still isolating and transfering. the isolates will get one culture per dish. so the line is a substrain boundary? that's what i assumed it was. i hope there's not another species in there lol.

also, the plates were homemade PDY agar made with instant potato flakes, nutritional yeast and homebrewer's dextrose (priming sugar). i forget the exact numbers, and my harddrive crashed, taking my notes with it. hopefully i'll be able to recreate it later.

thanks again for the kind words, y'all.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

After looking at the third transfer plates, I don't see any evidence to support what I mentioned. It does look like it though. I guess it was just the picture darkness enhancing the thick mycelium.

Sorry about that.

#12 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

it's cool, thanks for looking out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!