Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Recession or Not? Are we in the next great depression?

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#21 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

i thought it was bullshit, to be honest.
lots of big assertions and no evidence.
he wasn't trying seriously to persuade
rather preaching to a sympathetic choir,
he knows which buttons to hit,
which keywords to toss out.
the banks, the zionists-
next come the illuminati.
:lol:

what we are seeing
is the cycle of nature
extended to human economics.
the strong will eat the weak.
or the smart will eat the not-so-smart,
works out the same.

those with money
set out the bait [their money]
as 'loans' to those who
want more than they can pay.
the gullible take the bait,
at interest,
in a form of gambling known as prosperity.

the poorer are, in essence, betting that
they can use the wealthy's money to make enough
to pay it back, with interest,
and still have a leftover profit to keep for themselves.

now the wealthy are content with that, getting interest.
but when the economy takes a dive
the trap is sprung-
that bait is now due and it's gone,
devoured, tied up in 30 year notes.
so the wealthy foreclose,
grabbing off the down-payment and all mortgage payments
as their profits,
plus the real estate/assets.

a massive consolidation of wealth,
back to whence it came.
financial evolution,
the strong get stronger.

but don't blame the lion for eating the lamb,
it's natural.
the real culprit is stupid greedy people who take the bait.

ah well said.

#22 BlacHaze

BlacHaze

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

Even though I grow fruit trees and veggies, if I don't pay the mortgage, I won't be able to eat the fruit.

What about stoners during a depression? What do you do for munchies? :amazed:

#23 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:17 AM

Well..I been hearing alot about this on the news..thought i give this a bump.

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Even though I grow fruit trees and veggies, if I don't pay the mortgage, I won't be able to eat the fruit.

What about stoners during a depression? What do you do for munchies? :amazed:

ever heard of share-cropping ?
their land + your work = split crop between

#25 ShroomShaman

ShroomShaman

Chat Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hey guys this is my first post believe it or not. been so out of it i wasnt able to figure out how to work the site. Anyway. The Recession I''m at a loss for words on this one. I have only worked 4 days so far in the year of 08. Thats right & they were all before the 8th. I got severely sick & hospitalized for a half a week & when I got out of the hospital I basically was on lay off status. have been living off my Amsterdam vacation fund basically. I am wondering already where the light @ the end of the tunnel is. As I am about out of money & have just about enough to pick up something to try & @ least make rent so I am not homeless.:horse:

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

get 3 hots and a cot in jail eh.

#27 ShroomShaman

ShroomShaman

Chat Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yeah that would suck wouldn't it. I take pride in saying that I have been able to stay out of lock up since I got released in 2000. Not planning on going back. But who ever does right? I just seem to get a little more bold about things when the pressure is up due to societies way of running a perfectly good thing into the ground & then pummeling it some more with complete beaurocratic BS to cover up the fact that they fucked up in the first place.

#28 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

well well well..the govt has set up processes to avoid it but america is in a virtual recession already and it will only become worst and worst...invest ur money in euros ppl as this currency is based on 30% gold which is better than nothing!!:eusa_clap

usd dollar and canadian dollar is based on the confidence that ppl have in the economy so in fact,these currencies are based on the confidence of ppl and there is no real value to the money..only ppaper..euro is 30% real at least and in the beginning of its life cycle.

all fiat currency is made to crumble and weaken in its life cycle...usd is at that point unfortunately.

the petroleum recycling doallar days r also over so dont count on usd for a few decades or until they change it to the"amero"

federal reserve is your enemy my american friends,ur currency is privately owned..the reserve is as federal as federal express..dont fall for this scam:horse:

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

the world better hope the USD doesn't collapse-
who do you think owns all our debt ?
what will all those nations holding vast amounts of dollars
do ?
mexico and canada would share our misery
almost immediately,
then china, india, europe, OPEC
stock markets from tokyo to sydney to cairo
would pass our losses along to the whole planet.
but that's won't be allowed to happen-
china and OPEC will buy up our debt.

#30 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

the world better hope the USD doesn't collapse-
who do you think owns all our debt ?
what will all those nations holding vast amounts of dollars
do ?
mexico and canada would share our misery
almost immediately,
then china, india, europe, OPEC
stock markets from tokyo to sydney to cairo
would pass our losses along to the whole planet.
but that's won't be allowed to happen-
china and OPEC will buy up our debt.

well thats the plan hippie haha..thats why they will bring on the amero..and btw ppl all over the world r already.
china and saudi fuxing arabia already owns all ur debt..but how do you pay them back when the money is worth only a % of what it was worth a few years ago:)

it used to be that everyone in this world had to buy oil and gas products in usd which was just like magic for the us economy(example.japan wants petrol and they need to pay in usd..they only have yens so how do they pay?send hondas to the us,get paid in us dollars and buy petrol)the euro will take this place in the near future as this is the most iable option for oil producing countries:pirate:

the debt is the problem friends...

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

well well well..the govt has set up processes to avoid it but america is in a virtual recession already and it will only become worst and worst...invest ur money in euros ppl as this currency is based on 30% gold which is better than nothing!!

We're not in a recession yet, although it isn't looking good. Investing ones money in a currency has to do with a lot more than what you're implying. They are far more factors that affect currency positions.

usd dollar and canadian dollar is based on the confidence that ppl have in the economy so in fact,these currencies are based on the confidence of ppl and there is no real value to the money..only ppaper..euro is 30% real at least and in the beginning of its life cycle.

Not entirely. The dollar's strength is based upon other things like oil and gold's prices. For example, Canada and Australia are 2 of the world's largest producers and exporters of gold. With the price of gold hitting all time highs as it is now and expected to increase, the dollar strengthens and continues to do so.

Now with an oil dependent country like the U.S., higher oil prices do have a negative effect on their currency. Lower oil prices mean higher profits for companies and more money in the consumer's pocket that can be spent helping the economy.

Interest rates are another factor that effect the U.S.'s dollar strength, or any currency for that matter. Higher interest rates and belief that they will continue to rise will attract foreign investment. Again, strengthening their currencies.

#32 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

We're not in a recession yet, although it isn't looking good. Investing ones money in a currency has to do with a lot more than what you're implying. They are far more factors that affect currency positions.

Not entirely. The dollar's strength is based upon other things like oil and gold's prices. For example, Canada and Australia are 2 of the world's largest producers and exporters of gold. With the price of gold hitting all time highs as it is now and expected to increase, the dollar strengthens and continues to do so.

Now with an oil dependent country like the U.S., higher oil prices do have a negative effect on their currency. Lower oil prices mean higher profits for companies and more money in the consumer's pocket that can be spent helping the economy.

Interest rates are another factor that effect the U.S.'s dollar strength, or any currency for that matter. Higher interest rates and belief that they will continue to rise will attract foreign investment. Again, strengthening their currencies.

true and true! everything u say is true mate but as u might have noticed,the usd still goes down even if oil and gold prices r up thru the roof.also,notice that the euro was at 75 cents to the us$ a few years ago and now its 75 cents us for 1 euro:loveeyes:even if the oil and gold prices soared

second point is yes the value of the dollar is based 100% on the confidence of the ppl as u highlight in ur post with this statement"Higher interest rates and belief that they will continue to rise will attract foreign investment"
in a normal economy yes higher interest rates attract foreign $ but between me and you..who will believe that the usd will go up?the price of gold and oil goes up but the usd goes down and the 30% gold based euro still goes up:eusa_snoo and imagine the worst..lets say that the us goes into recessionor worst it goes into depression...you cant bring back ur usd to the bank and request any real value for it..but if u bring back euros,u still have 30% of ur hard earned cash in ur pocket.

that was my main argument but everything u say is true sir

chokdeemax

#33 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

unfortunately the federal reserve usees a fractional system in which for every 1$ deposit it can lend or "produce"
10 dollars out of that 1 dollar deposit:eusa_clapcreating debt from the start

also... u always hear mr greenspan(retired now) and various financial authorities talking about "injecting" money into the economy.well every dollar that is injected into the us economy brings down the value of the dollar(supply and demand) and to add to this mess..every dollar newly created claims an interest rate.

who pays?america ppl..i am canadian by the way and we might be amongst the worlds biggest gold exporter but we will never be on top of the world economy until we base our money on real value and assets

canada is the largest producer of petroleum after saudi arabia believe it or not:bow:with our petroleum sands..just more expensive to extract it than the regular method so we r just starting to exploit this.

i am against the upcomming "amero" coz it will spread us debt to Canada and Mexico in a fraudulent way

i wish my version was as optimistic as urs mate:loveeyes:

the sad truth is that the us dollar is in an unstoppable decline

Lord have mercy on us

#34 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Trust me, i'm barely optimistic. I know what's a commin', as do most American's. But to say the recession has already started isn't true as of yet.

"the sad truth is that the us dollar is in an unstoppable decline"

It certainly doesn't look good at the moment, nor in the future either.

#35 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

"as u might have noticed,the usd still goes down even if oil and gold prices r up thru the roof"

That's the point i'm making with oil. The higher the oil price/barrel, the more the U.S. dollar's worth declines. High oil prices put a massive strain on the U.S.'s economy because of the obvious, lower industrial profits, mass transit profits, airline profits, company profits and right down to plastics and rubber manufacturing profits. Then the snowball effect occurs from there. The U.S. is the most oil dependent country in the world. Oil prices put a massive strain on our economy. There has never been a need for an oil alternative as there is now.

#36 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

"as u might have noticed,the usd still goes down even if oil and gold prices r up thru the roof"

That's the point i'm making with oil. The higher the oil price/barrel, the more the U.S. dollar's worth declines. High oil prices put a massive strain on the U.S.'s economy because of the obvious, lower industrial profits, mass transit profits, airline profits, company profits and right down to plastics and rubber manufacturing profits. Then the snowball effect occurs from there. The U.S. is the most oil dependent country in the world. Oil prices put a massive strain on our economy. There has never been a need for an oil alternative as there is now.

absolutely...:bow:

a new energy source would be sooooo good for the world and i personally believe that it is already available but kept under the "rug" by the social elite....just look at nicholas tesla's work..especially the patents that he has that are not available to the general public!( if i recall correctly,he has more than 200 approved patents registered in the usa and internationally...most of the tech related to electricity is thx to him!!!

Thx you Mr Tesla

#37 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

I say get yourself a good food storage and water as well, because after all you can't eat gold.

:thumbup:This might seem a bit over the top to some but i did get my one year supply of provisions:rasta:...just in case.You cannot eat gold but for the price that it is worth these days (and it will keep going up for the foreseeable future)you could easily walk around with the weight in gold of a house in a backpack:headbang:i would recommend "collector" coins of some kind as this is easier to transport and to exchange for goods and services...maybe think of silver also

Imagine the number of bread loafs and bottled water that you can get:amazed:
You could even afford to get urself shitloads of straw and a wonderful collection of the most exotic and potent spores for the possibly hard times ahead.:eusa_danc

Good thinking imo Mr ken

#38 AlterdImage

AlterdImage

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

I am not sure what to think. 6 years ago I was too broke to afford those things at their cheapest prices. Now I make several times more than I was making then for 2-3x the cost inflation...so I personally think things are looking up. They do need to be careful and work on stimulating the economy but I think real estate is gonna get good in a year or so again. I work with a lot of realtors and that seems to be the common opinion, that house flippers will have a perfect market soon...a yr or 2

#39 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

Not looking good. Wachovia and Bank of America reporting a near 95% loss in earnings this quarter. Eeek.

#40 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

glad i live on a farm.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!