• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PoS3IDoN

PoS3IDoN

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

ok don't know if this is the right forum. but it needs to be put some where (may already be here ) any ways so i was boiling some lc mix in the micro the other day 7stage filter water, crystiline fructose, hickory water. so i put the mix in the mic for 1 min 30 secs. come back see a few bubbles so i was going to take it out and put the lid on and put it back. so i pull her out ( there was no lid on it ) and take 1 step. then fucking Boooom the hot sugar mix exploded out of the baby bottle, shot right in to my face and a 20 ft blast radius in my house. so i sit here now telling you watch the F out i had sugar water hit me at the point of my nose both orbitals and up to my hairline. needless to say i couldnt open my eyes for a hour had very bad water/steam burns (not bad enuff for hosp maybe cause i got coolness on it so quick. but 3 days now and the skin is scabbing and the pain subsided after the first night. so any way why the F did this happen out of the many times this was done b4, maybe the hickory nute water. maybe. but talked to a buddy of mine and it came up how sugar/glucose water can explode, say really hot sweet soup put your spoon in it then bam. he did some exp in grade school on it, and it raises/lowers(can't remember) the surface tension of water and can explode becasue steam traped in it. but i knoiw this is a long post but i do not want any one to have this happen to them i could have easily lost my eyes if i did not close them at the time i did (thank god i could not find scurvy*green) so as i sit with scabs on my eyelids telling you this, mix the sugar after its hot or you risk serious pain since microwave steam burns are 1 of the worst and 2ndary infection is a problem as well. BE SAFE

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

another good reason not to use microwaves as a substitute for a PC .
those bubbles were a warning sign of superheating .
cf. Superheating and microwave ovens

#3 PoS3IDoN

PoS3IDoN

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

GD you hippy your quicky. thanks for the post good info, my face hurt to much to look.

#4 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

never underestimate this thing they call nature. being the heat.

ive had a microwave catch fire. wait till it cools drastically before you ever touch anything. even if it is only for 1.5 mins. you can seriously burn yourself.

#5 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

well i'm glad your ok man, stay safe :)

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

You have to be extremely careful when using a microwave for sterilizing liquids. I use one for my agar, but have to be very cautious while doing so. Be careful and don't forget to leave ample air space in the top of the jar, so boiling liquids can't get the filter material wet. If it gets wet, then pressure starts to rise inside of the jar or whatever canister you're using. Upping the chances of explosion.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Ah yes, super heating. I re-read your post and that happens quite often as well when I pull the agar out of the micro and take the lid off. Soon as the hot agar hits the cool air while I go to pour it, it boils up on me some. You have to be very careful indeed.

#8 johnnyG

johnnyG

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

just let it cool in the micro for a few before taking it out

that would solve the problem right?

#9 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

did the glass explode or did it blow out the opining?

they had a thing on good eats that explains what happens when heating water in a bottle with a lack of imperfections there is nothing there to start a bubble on like scratches or bumps and a restrictive opining so the water just gets hotter until it makes 1 big bubble and it all blows out.

using a jar with a a large opining helps keep this from happening or make multiple filter vents .

#10 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Either can blow, usually the cap comes off. I have had the microwave door blow open due to a cap coming off. You can get serious pressure in the jar, the surface tension acts as a pressure cooker. The problem happens when you boil, cool, and reboil. You have driven all the oxygen out and have no where for bubbles to form. You can float a little polyfil in the jar which breaks the surface tension.

#11 wajiguqu0223

wajiguqu0223

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

"It was pretty demented. I never realized how fantastical people really are," Bechard said. "They are smelly and they maple story mesos tog up strange. It makes me worried for the hominid move."

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!