• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Sweetness

Sweetness

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

Someone mentioned why not avoid cluttering up with more software when you can pay for a proxy for about $7 p/mo, assuming you can afford it.

#22 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

Someone mentioned why not avoid cluttering up with more software when you can pay for a proxy

Well, with Tor+Privoxy, you get a chain of proxies free.
It adds extra layers of security over a single proxy, and Tor also allows you to anonymously host web & net services.

#23 Sweetness

Sweetness

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

You dl Privoxy from the list of 'Latest File Releases' ? What if your op isn't on the list?

#24 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

You dl Privoxy from the list of 'Latest File Releases' ? What if your op isn't on the list?

Then you probably have something odd :D
What's is it? :confused:

#25 whitedeath

whitedeath

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:26 AM

A site I've used is https://www.proxify.com. I don't think it works as well unless you're subscribed, but I've still found it helpful :)

#26 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

I set up my computer to use TOR as described above and now animated gifs will not display properly. Anyone know how to fix that?

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:33 AM

archive material to the vaults [security]

#28 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Has to do with privoxy... I saw someone ask on there forums but it wasn't answered yet... It only blocks like banner ads and stuff, the links too em still work though I believe... The lil checkerboards don't bother me, I know all the vendors ads here, and I don't care about anywhere else, LOL.. ;)

#29 pacingthecage

pacingthecage

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:21 AM

I set up my computer to use TOR as described above and now animated gifs will not display properly. Anyone know how to fix that?

This is because of Privoxy's filtering. Privoxy's filter kills HTML and Javascript cookies (from ads), thus enhancing PC security and anonymity.

from Privoxy's FAQ's site (http://www.privoxy.o...isc.html#AEN636):

**4.11. I have large empty spaces / a checkerboard pattern now where ads used to be. Why?

It would be technically possible eliminate the banners in a way that frees their screen estate in many cases, by doing all banner blocking with filters, i.e. eliminating the whole image references from the HTML pages instead of letting them stay in, and blocking the resulting requests for the banners themselves.

But this would consume considerable CPU resources, would likely destroy the layout of many web pages which rely on the banners consuming a certain amount of screen space, and would fail in other cases, where the screen space is reserved e.g. by tables anyway. Also, making the banners disappear without a visual trace complicates troubleshooting.

So we won't support this in the default configuration, but you can of course define appropriate filters yourself.**

You can access and modify Privoxy's filters (Start>All Programs>Privoxy>Edit Config>Filters), but that requires some programming language that is a little beyond my knowledge. Further, I think it is an acceptable trade-off as Privoxy is filtering unwanted cookie-crap from my PC. If you're really determined on wanting to see those animated cookie-infested ads while using Tor/Privoxy, I suggest this link for contacting Privoxy Support (I believe there is also a support forum listed here):

CONTACT SUPPORT -
http://www.privoxy.o...CONTACT-SUPPORT

#30 alienprimate

alienprimate

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

Here is a link to free proxy surfers, etc. I have found webwarper to be the fastest.

http://www.freeproxy...y/cgi-proxy.htm

[ed. note
active thread = here

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!