• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

personaly have failed to cultivate the semilanceata but realy never gave much attention,
as far as i have seen it grows mainly on grass but not always tall,

"You can find it in North-western U.S. Great Britain, Scandinavia, and west Europe."
only there?
:)

#22 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

Recent ecological studies have shown that Psilocybe semilanceata mycelium
does not form symbiotic mutualisms with grass roots; rather, hyphae invade
and consume already dying root cortices in a nutritional strategy edging
towards parasitism. This behaviour may explain some of the difficulties
encountered in the artificial culture of liberty caps, as well as their habitat
preferences. They enjoy dung-enriched soils of various concentrations but
also have clear adaptations for exploiting grass root systems.
Pics from Astraalialma

I KNEW IT!!! .................Well no not really.............but this is a great thread as usual WLJ! ;)

#23 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:14 PM

So, theoretically, if one was to attempt the cultivation of these, it would be necessary to have an established bed of some specific sort of grass, growing on well manured soil, but mature enough that there are dying roots? or perhaps dead from dry summer season, and as wettened by fall rains the myc kicks in and grows up the roots to the soil to fruit?

Is there a specific sort of grass these grow in? This would be handy to know even for hunting purposes.

Iding magic mushrooms in the wild is currently mystifying to me as there are soooo many 'lbm's out there... look even at the shapes shown to be present in the above pics, some with a sort of nipple, ... eh I just looked again, looks like they all have the nipple, I guess that's the main thing to look for when examining fields of lbms? mycenas and paneolus foenesciis drive me crazy cuz I think that's all I ever find...

#24 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

Workman is the only one I know of, who has cultivated semi's indoors.
This is some info from his outdoor plot...

Outdoor temperatures have been in the high 60's to low 70's F. Normally this species appears around October-November when temperatures start to dip below 45F with heavy rains. This odd specimen apparently can tolerate a wider range of temperatures. The outdoor patch was composed of a 5 pound bag of sterilized horse manure inoculated with a quart jar of grass seed spawn. Most of the fully colonized mass was buried shallowly in a shady area. A small amount of the colonized manure was placed in a microbox with peat/lime casing for the indoor fruiting attempt at 58F.

The mushrooms are growing in dense grass that grew over the patch during the spring. They were difficult to see and photograph so the grass was carefully pressed down to expose the mushrooms. They would have never been seen if the patch area wasn't known.

Artificial beds fruiting outside of the normal season has been observed with other species . The unnaturally large masses of mycelium tend to spontaneously produce mushrooms at the slightest change in the weather. Unfortunately the weather rarely stays ideal and the mushrooms tend to dry out or stop growing when the weather returns to normal.

I've determined that the bluish green coloration of the caps is only present in mushrooms not exposed to direct light. This is a color variant of Psilocybe semilanceata that I have only seen once before in some British specimens. Other wild specimens collected in the same area are of the normal brown color.

Attached Thumbnails

• 085346550-semi02.jpg
  • 085324151-semi01.jpg

• Black_Swan likes this

#25 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

cool lookin little guys...
their so cute...i just wanna
bite their heads off...:grin:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!