11 replies to this topic

#1 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi,

Swim recently began his second mesc extraction using FOAF's tek.

After approximately 60 hours of waiting for the layers to separate, he removed a solvent sample (Toluene) from the carboy.

The first thing he notices was the VERY green color instead of the yellowish color from his previous extraction.
There also seems to be quite a few particles remaining in the solvent ...even after more than the recommended 48 hours of waiting.

Is this normal?
If not, what can be done to further clean-up the solvent?

NOTE:Swim used identical quantities as stated in FOAF's tek (1kg Green Icaro).
The only thing he changed was that he used
27 ounces of KOH instead of NaOH and 48 ounces of Toluene instead of Xylene.

Left pic is after 48 hours of waiting.
Right pic is Toluene sample removed after 60 hours

Attached Thumbnails

• Sample.jpg
  • 48 Hours Later.jpg

#2 real_psily

real_psily

electron pusher

• Expired Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

did you add any KOH before the second pull? Also did you defat at all?

#3 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

did you add any KOH before the second pull? Also did you defat at all?

Swim hasn't pulled anything yet as he wanted to wait for the layers to separate completely.
He only extracted a sample to see if what he was seeing in the carboy was really as green as it seemed.

Swim used dried Green Icaro as stated in FOAF's tek, (No defat is mentioned in the tek.)

Swim is contemplating putting the whole carboy in a hot water bath in an attempt to accelerate the separation and help dissolve the remaining particles.
What are your thoughts on that?

#4 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

NIce pics, I like your carboy, looks just like mine, I love glass carboys...never had a problem with them ever.

I have used xylene and sodium hydroxide, and the xylene always has looked yellow....never seen it green before.

We will need some more input on this one, someone who has used KOH here can help?

Your cactus is all good....no need to worry about that one, and no a defat is never needed with foaf's tek.

Hang in there, Im trying to get some help for you on this one...

I've asked some dreamers for help...give it a day or two and will have some replies hopefully.

Foaf's tek is the easiest and best tek imho, so long as you have a glass carboy, the tek rules for getting the hcl salt.

It looks to me as if the "chlorophyll" from the cactus has "dyed" the toluene, possibly due to using KOH? I don't know...I'm asking for help on this one.

I know if you soak cactus in everclear, it turns the everclear a dark green color like in your pics, due to the chlorophyll in the cactus.

If I'm not mistaken, toluene may give you green color, while xylene gives you yellow color, I remember a former member who used to use toluene too, and his was green colored. I don't think you have anything to worry about...but I'm not the expert on using KOH, just checking with everyone else.

I know that when you gas, the color washes away (whether it be yellow or green looking chlorophyll) very easily and quickly (within a few minutes) when you rinse your green or yellow pile of mescaline with acetone, I had a pile of "bright yellow goop" after gassing then filtering over a #103 filter and then just rinsed it with acetone, then had white mescaline left on top the filter.

It seems strange, but the bright yellow color or green looking goop color will rinse away to leave white mescaline, which I then rinsed several more times with acetone....then add the white mescaline to a small amount of boiling hot water in a pyrex dish to "drive off" the remaining acetone fumes...then when the water has all evaporated, you should be left with white mescaline at the bottom of the pyrex waiting to be scraped up.

#5 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

NIce pics, I like your carboy, looks just like mine, I love glass carboys...never had a problem with them ever.

Thanks.
Swim prefers the glass carboy to the HDPE gallon jug he used in his first attempt ...big time!

Hang in there, Im trying to get some help for you on this one...

I've asked some dreamers for help...give it a day or two and will have some replies hopefully.

Thanks for asking around, swim appreciates it.

Meanwhile, swim did a quick mini-salting (I'm guessing that "Salting" is the correct terminology for adding acidified water to the solvent in order to extract the goodies) with what he had in the sample bottle and some goodies are very much present with barely any green contaminants.

More than likely, if he would have waited a bit more for the water and Toluene to separate more, none would have been present at all.

If I'm not mistaken, toluene may give you green color, while xylene gives you yellow color, I remember a former member who used to use toluene too, and his was green colored. I don't think you have anything to worry about...but I'm not the expert on using KOH, just checking with everyone else.

Actually, swim's first extraction was done using Toluene and his solvent came out yellowish.
He did, however, use NaOH and a different kind of cactus, so who knows.

Patiently waiting for further input tregar
Thanks for your help!

#6 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

Here's what came out of the sample, straight from the evap dish (No wash).
I'm posting this for color evaluation purposes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sample Yield.JPG

#7 real_psily

real_psily

electron pusher

• Expired Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Here's what came out of the sample, straight from the evap dish (No wash).

looks damn fine to me :cacti:

#8 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

S. Dali said:

I dont know how much heat he used, or how long he let it set around but...

Sometimes, when you do a very fast first extraction and there is no heat involved, a green pigment will be extracted. My hypothesis is it is just our yellow/caramel impurity that has not had enough time in the basic aqueous phase to loose its green color. When dried the NP will yield green colored mesc that gets less green with acetone washes.

Wow, that's some nice looking mesc there!!!

#9 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly tregar

I dont know how much heat he used, or how long he let it set around but...

I'm not sure which part of the extraction usually requires heat, but in my case, the only time swim applied heat was to help get rid of a small emulsion that formed after mixing the acidified water with the NP.

I'm guessing it may have also helped get rid of the green since, according to comments received, his mesc turned out pretty clean. (Just a newbie guess of course)
By the way, thanks for your encouraging comments guys. :)

Sometimes, when you do a very fast first extraction and there is no heat involved, a green pigment will be extracted

My first extraction (the sample) was done after 60 hours of waiting with no heat.
Should swim have put it in a hot water bath?

I know swim's asking a lot of questions, but after his first try failed miserably he doesn't want to take any chances.

Swim will post the results of the first real pull as soon as the evap process has completed.

#10 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

Nope, no hot water bath ever needed, if an emulsion ever forms, then it would be of value to help break it up of course, but that's the only time it would be needed.

Congrats, looks very nice indeed!

#11 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

"Here's what came out of the sample, straight from the evap dish (No wash)."

werd. i wouldnt even go any further with that stuff. looks incredible edible from here my man. good work. peace

#12 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

yeah, that mesc looks fuckin clean! damn :amazed: envyyy

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!