• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

This must be what, week 2 of colonization....and it is like 95% there but still remaining are patches of uncolonized substrate. It really seems like colonization completely stalled.

The reason it may have taken so long to colonize was excessive moisture.
Now, it stalled though.

So what's up with this?
The tub was just opened and new air was circulated in there in hopes to rejuvenate the mycelium.

It seems as though co2 buildup was so high the mycelium stopped growing.

Was it stupid to introduce fresh air in the tub, or a good idea given the situation?

It is now going to be placed in dark at 70F or so to finish up.

What do you think?

#2 scoutmaster

scoutmaster

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

pics would be nice. If you don't notice anymore growth over the next couple days I would say just introduce to light. Maybe try to remove uncolonized portions.

#3 tomstevens

tomstevens

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

you may have some bacteria in there...stalling is not a good sign that is for sure and is usually a contam issue....but with no pics thats just an educated guess.

#4 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

you may have some bacteria in there...stalling is not a good sign that is for sure and is usually a contam issue....but with no pics thats just an educated guess.

There are no visible signs of contams....I didn't think I needed pics, I mean, it's all white & fluffy, not trich, but mycelium, and is like 95% done..doesn't smell...Still want a pic I bet huh ;)

#5 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Ok here we go!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG

#6 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

Soo..not sure if this will be another failed, caseless, dooble-doo...or what.

Who says uncased?

#7 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

nobody ??

#8 gypsyleif

gypsyleif

gypsyleif.001webs.com

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

your ok. You will not get 100% colonization 100% of the time. Sometimes there is just a couple areas that dont grow. Your best bet is to induce fruiting, expose to light all day and give air exchange 2 times a day (only needs a couple seconds). This way you will start to fruit and those patches may or may not get covered - it does not matter. You could also case it if you want, you will have better results that way.

By the way...from the pic it looks like it is very wet. If it is get some of that moisture out or it will sour.

#9 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

Agreed. ^^^

Fruit it, air it out, don't let it be quite so wet. Plastic wrap seems like a good idea- but don't let it do too good of a job. Let it breathe a little.

#10 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,645 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

The reason it did not colonize 100% is because you have absolutely no fresh air coming in. You need slits in that plastic every two inches or so during the entire colonization phase. I bet if you poke holes in htere the myc will take back off again.

#11 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

Once you do what d8 said you'll be ok I'll bet. It looks fine don't panic. If you plan to case go ahead and case it. U can let the casing colonize for a couple days or go ahead and start the fruiting conditions once cased...Drop the temps(around 70F), give it a good FAE cycle(3-5 times daily) put some light on it(indirect sunlight or artificial light will do) and go with it.

You will be fine. Doesn't look like contams to me..and so long as you still have that nice earthy smell your all good. Won't be too long now and you will have some pins.

#12 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

See, the reason it was sealed was because @ shroomery, Agar the "guru" or one of them showed colonizing substrate in trays (dishpans) that were saran wrapped and had 5 holes, with micropore tape over the holes. the saran wrap was 1.5" away from the mycelium

So this is why the monotub got the same treatment but I guess the method with the saran wrap (and holes/micropore tape) directly over the mycelium gives the mycelium more air? While the monotub just lets co2 sink to the very bottom and the micrpore tape holes are so far away they become useless? That's my theory.

Also @ shroomery it was said many a time that light is very important in pinsets, intense flouros are good, and better than indirect sunlight from a window, although that will work..Just relaying what I was told...although it makes sense...

#13 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,645 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Really no need for tape over holes during this phase. Quick colonization is the key to avoiding contams, and there are just not enough holes in that pic. I do see the tape now and it looks like its in maybe 4 places. I use aluminum foil as a cover with slits cut in it (simply poke it with a nife) every two inches or so.

Light is very important for pinsets and unless you just want to spend the money indirect sunlight works just fine. I've used both, although my lights were a little on the cheap side, and, honestly, I got better pinsets with indirect sunlight. That is just my experience.

#14 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Ok, cool. Throwing it into light now. Have never heard that it's common to get uncolonized spots. It's def. due to the shitty moisture content + lack of gas exchange

What is lame is this: It's dry enough by the squeeze test yet the coco coir seems to hold excess moisture even when the squeeze test passes. Weird..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!