• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

When germinating seeds its best to sow them in petri dishes on sand or soil and then transplant them very carefully to rockwool or soil with a tweezers. They should be allowed to germinate and plump a little before transplanting. Maybe 2-3 weeks. Once transplanted its best to have them in a dish that can be covered with a plastic lid to trap the moisture. The lid Swim uses is 1/8 thick plastic with holes drilled in it for it to breath.. If you trap all the moisture it will rot the seedlings out..
When transplanting you can graft some of the more plump seedlings easily.. Its possible to get 90% or better.. The rest can sit a while longer to plump for grafting or left to mature naturally..
Another way to grow them is on agar.. Add fertilizer to half strength or less and sow on agar gels like in the photo...:cacti:
Picture 002.jpg

Picture 039.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

s10.JPG

article020-01.jpg

STP62245.JPG
  • ucsforce, pastyoureyes and ScreamingEagle like this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

on agar ?
news to me,
:cool:

#3 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

Posted Image

fucking cool

#4 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

I was gonna say that too, way fucking cool! Could you please elaborate on the agar recepie you use?

#5 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

woaaaaaaaaaah thats way fuckin cool! whats that blue stuff?

#6 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Nunya, That is the sweetest thing I have seen in a while! How did you discover this method of germination?:bow:

#7 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Awesome. :bow:

#8 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

Oh ya the blue stuff is aquarium sand.. Sterilized in petri dishes..

The agar thing is kind of an improvisation to tissue culture.. Tissue culture is something Swim plans to try but hasnt gotten to that yet. With tissue culture you can puree a cactus so long as its sterile and spread patte across a gel with the correct hormones and whallaa.. a million cacti..

One attempt was with a dilute hydrogen peroxide gel to ward off any contaminants but it burns the roots.. So Swim found that if sterilized they would stay good for a while.. Never have to water them.. Just water and half strength fert, agar... The roots search as needed..

#9 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

i WILL BE DOING THAT, cool aasss shit man.

#10 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

those seedlings growing in the agar is awesome :bow:

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Been looking @ tissue culture myself based upon a post by a fellow named HepacatBioclass100 (sp?)........whatever happened to that guy anyway? Huh.

4th post in this thread lead me on a little search into tissue culture books.....
http://mycotopia.net...ed-vendors.html

Could you please post a specific "tek" style write-up for those of us who aren't yet proficient with agar work? I would genuinely appreciate the effort.

You must have a full-time job just keeping up your garden there! Very nice!!

#12 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

i work on a farm that has a tc lab. I've been VERY interested in tissue culture since starting my mushroom obsession. A guy at work grows flytraps on the windowsill....i keep telling him we should use the lab and tc them....now i'm thinking maybe cactii is the way to go! Any cell can be grown in tissue culture with the right combination of hormones and nutrients. I'll write my professor and see if he has a recipe for cactii ;)

#13 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

llamabox and I were discussing this about a year and a half ago.He and I were discussing something like growing lophs like this. He had some links to some TC sites doing it. I said why grow the cacti at all? Just keep the
tissue liquid and have th cells reproduce until you get like a gallon or
so of green loph goo. Then just do the extraction on that. Whaddya think?

#14 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

Interesting. :meditate:

#15 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

i think you should find that link ;)

#16 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

amazing shit.

:bow:

im gonna try it with some antibiotic type plates an organic chemist buddy 'aquired' :reb: from his school
and recently gave me knowing i like to fuck around with medicinal mushies n clean up wild cultures..... :lol:

i havent got a sterile/clean setup here, though, or ability to do so anytime in the coming mth or three, so hey! might as well put the dishes to good use! :amazed: was about to sow some magical :cacti: beans anyway! wo0t!!!! :D:D

lab-supply sealed sleeves of prepoured agar dishes wont really last unrefridgerated that long,
eh? :teeth: anyone have experience? ETA on them goin to the nasty herd, perhaps? :eusa_sile

thanks in advance for any help on that question hehehehe keep in mind theyve got preservatives/antibiotics added. he says they shoulda been put on ice, tho, according to he; 'its not that big a deal,' that i didnt.....?.... :confused:

again, big ole TIA to any1 with some sage advice for me :) :heart:

and also, wanna thank ya'gain for teh heads up on this tek! awesome idea! is it your own? or did you learn it elsewhere? its the first im hearing of such a bizzare method! shit! might be bizzare, but the pics speak for themselves :)

if those seeds in the 1st pic were in shallow soiless mix (or maybe petris?)
the root system would not be anywhere near as complex/large.
hence the plants would take longer to grow. id imagine? those taproots vetically growin in the beaker show the potential of the plants to be manipulated in non-traditional ways. the potential is there! im curious what other things we are doin the long/wrong way without even realizing it!

really really great thread. thank you again :heart: :bow:

be weLL :)

#17 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:53 AM

llamabox and I were discussing this about a year and a half ago.He and I were discussing something like growing lophs like this. He had some links to some TC sites doing it. I said why grow the cacti at all? Just keep the
tissue liquid and have th cells reproduce until you get like a gallon or
so of green loph goo. Then just do the extraction on that. Whaddya think?

well...

#1 afaik cacti (like most other plants of interest discussed here at topia) are purported to
achieve peak (if not worthwhile) levels of active alkaloids when exposed/grown under uv light.
the sun, in other words.

a lil offtopic-ishy food for thought factoidness that may catalyze some useful discussion:
cannabis has been known to contain T.H.C., et al within the plant tissue itself, despite the highest and most useful amounts being contained within the trichome heads themselves. like 99.9% :lol: but big pharma has shown that whole-plant extracts, down to the base of the trunk, of pot plants, yields decent enough to be worth the time in the production of marinol or whatever the stuff is called. i believe its called marinol,. its a full-plant concentrate of cannabis in pill-form prescribed to patients for certain ailments. not too widely, unfortunately, however. ive spoke to many who have used the stuff and ttbomk they have all had to basically try every other hardcore narcotic and med in the book (literally! :lol: the majority of physicians pda's likely dont cover this MJ medicine, yet, and id bet money on it bein true, despite it bein FDA approved for YEARS now :mistrust:.no, theyd rather use ADDICTIVE med$.....:evil:...well...anyway...back at the ranch....) if anyone here has the know how, time, equiptment, and wherewithall otherwise to use chromatography etc to find out what if any alkaloids are present in the tissue of immature/invitro cacti cultures, andin what amounts, then by allmeans, please experiemnt and let us know. this could indeed revolutionize the way mescaline is extracted but to be honest, its a popcicles chance in hell anyone here is both a botanist and an organic chemist with peyote and a multi-thousand dollar lab on hand. oh, and years and years of college to boot :crazy1:

so i think synthesizing mesc. and extracting from mature specimens, outside the lab environment will continue to be the route of production for the forseeable future, howveer, with the means and will of the right peep(s), anythings possible :eusa_danc

:) take care

PS- zap i need you to call me man. i lost yer number 'gain :lol: be well

#18 trich1022

trich1022

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

anyone know the composition of the agar. i.e. IAA, cyto's, GA etc. Or can it be done with just plain old agar?

#19 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

Im not sure of the best solution but plain agar will support life/germination of the seeds. With the addition of some mild nute solution in the agar and Id wage that the seedlings would be content til transplant time. You just have to find a happy medium from high humidity and the agar drying out.

I used a tsp of bat guano in one cup of agar and the seeds germinated, sprouted and then died as the neglected agar dried out. I was trying to prevent the condensation that was pooling at the bottom of the agar but went too far with fae. They were torch seeds.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!