Fisana

- - - - -

Floppy Peter Bulk Substrate Tek

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:45 AM

For floppypeters bulk sub tek you will need to start with a large tub for mixing. floppypeter suggests using a 41qt/39lt. sterlite container. The container measures 34 1/2 x 16 1/2 x 6. The container was lightly sandpapered on the outside and spray painted black underneath and 3/4 up the sides leaving room fpr light ot get in the last third. These containers are available at any and all dept stores for about 7 bucks.

q1.JPG

One brick of coir is put in the tub and 1.33 gallons of 170-boiling degree water is added.

q2.JPG

while the coir is expanding it takes about a half hour, I toss in my additives now. IMO they are not neccesary. Im not sure they make a good gdamn bit o difference but I add them anyway.

they are shamelessly appropriated from hippiew supercake thread

1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast,
1 tablespoon bee pollen,
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 tablespoon shredded coconut meat/flour
1 tablespoon blue corn meal
1 tablespoon coarse yellow corn meal
1 tablespoon of powdered/ground kelp meal
1 tablespoon of cottonseed meal

As a nod to TV Casualty I also add Quinoa flour to each sub

q4.JPG

now with rubber gloves and dust mask break up the coir so that all pieces are nice and moist get your hands in there and mix it all around add air to the mix.

q5.JPG

now put in a ziplock bag full of med grade verm. I don't pasteurize the verm.

q6.JPG

Mix in a one gallon bag of pasteurized poo. I use dehydrated composed poo.

IMO the way I pasteurize is the best, y'all else suck donkey balls, there I said it (fp flings birds all around ) LOL JK, but seriously my ways the best

I pasteurize it right in the bag, sealed. I make sure the bag is 7/9 full of fluffy poo then I fold over the opening of the bag, partially close the ziploc seal, and force all the air out of the bag pressing it between my hands and a hard surface. This will drive all the air out of the bag. At this point, with pressure still on the bag, seal the bag making it air tight. When you PC it it wont burst due to heat expansion because you were smart and account for the heat expansion prior to pasteurization by pushing enough air out and leaving room for expansion.

IMO this method stops all that wet poo mess that gets all over with traditional wet sub pasteurization. Since only one container is used theres no mess from transferring and who wants poo in their bathtub right ?

so submerge the gallon ziploc in your pressure cooker at 150-170 degree water. I can fit four gallon bags of poo at once in the PC I fridge the ones that dont get use. Use the PC top to keep the bags submerged.

Mix the whole thing together and test the water consistency, I usually hydrate well beyond "field capacity without a problem. Its up to u.

If you need to add a little water do that now or add some vem to adjust the water content to your liking. I use tap water.

q7.JPG

Mix in 4 or 5 quarts of spawn. In this case 5 quarts of WBS spawn were used. The WBS was crumbled into tiny individual kernels and mixed in with the sub for maximum speed of colonization and consistent pin set.

q8.JPG

Level it out cover it up with the top the container came with. Breath it out twice a day and wipe the condensation from the top of the container. This is important to leep the watrer and oxygen moving along the surface of the substrate. Air holes arnt necessary ime.

q12.JPG

Once it pins, take a twin container that has not been spray painted and place it on top of the fruiting casing. This will act as a terrarium and basically all you need to do is pick fruit.

q11.JPG

q9.JPG

when you see the first pin case with 70 30 verm/coir

q10.JPG

I like this tek because the tub you mix in is the tub you grow in. Your not transferring from different containers etc. It keeps the mess way down, contams etc.

It's good for all your dung loving mushrooms, for wood lovers add 1 gallon bag of sawdust. As you can see, the loolk alike cubes in the pics above love this shit. Success IMO is based on high spawn/sub ratio. FAE is overrated imo as these projects go days without FAE and still have great results. The strain above is PESA with the "magic" genetically bred out of it. Ihate to brake the law and dont want to offend any body with this hobby.so I figured Id use harmless lookalikes for example.

my
.o2

Attached Thumbnails

• q3.JPG

#2 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Nice floppy, hey what strain is that? i add quinoa to my grain. tis good stuff. usually only at the end it soaks up water very easily.

#3 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

:eusa_clap

#4 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Strain is pesa thanks for lookin !!!

#5 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

heres the newest pinset using this tek.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• q12.JPG

#6 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

About 6 or so hours later, imo this pinset is due to genetics, and secondly at least a 25% spawn to sub ratio. No special fae except fresh air once or twice a day by opening the lid. I never get trich and I am a dirty-ass mother fucker just ask my wife. TO give you an Idea triming of my beard is monthly at best and if I hav eto shower more than once every two days I feel like a pansy.

this whole project cost very little

2x sterilite tubs ~ $ 20
1 brick coir ~ $ 2.33
1 Gal. bag vrm ~ $ 3
1 Gal. bag poo ~ $ 1
5 quart jars ~ $ (free i use old prego and delmonte glass jars)
various addtivs ~ $ 3
5 quarts WBS ~ .77
Print from topia member ~ free
Topia archives ~ priceless

TOTAL $ 30.10

Re use the containers -$ 20

Net cost for the tray $ 10.10

Now if I use some of the materials again like the sterlite containers my cost defers to $10.10 per casing. That's very cheap. I dont feel bad throwing out these poison mushies into the compost pile at these prices. They sure are fun to grow. Im sure that compost will produce some more powerful mushies the more I add to the pile. I must confess that I like to eat one or two of the largest fresh ones form time to time. If I wante to be super cheap I could easily get some horse poo and straw and my only cost would be the WBS. Any body know of a good free spawn material like rye or WBS ?

I't make me happy to do this at no cost just like the earth

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1202147295

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000361.JPG

#7 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

WOW, looking good bro.

#8 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Nice tek ..Thanks for explaining the steps also.:eusa_clap

#9 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

forgot to mention that pastuerisation time is 4-6 hours for 4 sealed ziploc bags of poo at around150-170 degrees.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

And if you actually read it instead of skimming thanks again.

FP

#10 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

niiice! :thumbup: awesome pin set. Thats going to be a good one. :) nice write up!

fahtster

#11 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

Should I let em get mature or pull em before the viel tears ?

What do you think n' why ?

#12 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

12 hours later

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1202240353

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000365.jpg
  • IM000364.jpg

#13 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

damn dude. :thumbup: personally, I would wait until I see spores start developing on the most mature ones before I consider what to do as far as picking.. when about 80 % of the bin is past or close to the veil breaking "stage" I pick the entire thing.. you could pick as you go, but I can already see that's going to be a bitch with all those amazing clusters. nice job! is that the first time you used the grain (psuedo) isolation? did you do the "one drop" dealio?

p.s.- if you take another pic, could you toss a bic or something familiar in thur.. :D I'm pretty horrible at judging size :)

fahtster

#14 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

time for the picker

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1202259644

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1202259644

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg
  • Picture 002.jpg

#15 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

wow. beautimus! :) well done good sir.

edit: I was wondering if you think the reason that you don't need any holes was because of the small gap all around the containers where the two meet? you don't have a fan or anything, correct? interesting.. when I did a half double tub like that, my sub dried out and I think that was the reason.. I had a fan in my room and maybe that was overkill.. would be nice to know that it can be done, but without a fan running.. would make sense I guess. lol

fahtster

#16 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:33 AM

Fhaster,

they incubate with a blue colored top that came with the sterlite tote. I don't put the other unpainted "terrarium"tote on top until its started to knot up.

Incubating in these with the original tops allows them to be stacked on one another and put out of the way. I don't use a fan. The tote should be opened twice a day and have the condensation wiped off the lids.

When knots occur the clear terrarium top is put on. When the first pin is noticed. It's lightly cased with 70/30 coir/verm. I sprinkle it on and fill in the gaps using zero pressure from my fingertips. When casing late, it should be applied delicately imho; don't want to hurt the baby shrooms.

I agree with you about the imperfect fit. IMO FAE, is from the imperfect seal between the tub and cover & later between the two tubs.it would follow, the air would move a little bit due to the slightly hotter than ambient air substrate and the movement of the water to the lid in trasperation.

#17 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

so are you saying that you want to leave that gap for FAE? i bought some door seal weatherstripping stuff and had planned on putting that between the two pieces of the terrarium

#18 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

I leave the gap. it works for me

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

well those additives sure didn't hurt eh.
well done, nice flush.
:bow:

#20 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

i concur :bow:
anxious to see flush II !

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!