#21 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

Hi Defiance, thanks for the kind words.

I have used the deluxe food saver for many years now, and it has never broken, it pulls the strongest vacuum I have ever had the pleasure of using, this thing kicks serious ass, great for use when using a buchner vacuum flask. I have no idea what the pull of it is though. It never struggles, just keeps on going, if it does shut down, you just re-hit the vacuum canister button and it continues on...plus it packs a mean steak.

-------
side by side

.6 grams perfect snow white / 2.10 grams pretty close

both have the consistency of talcum or baby powder, extremely fine and dense -- will disappear into the skin if rubbed on it, it is that super-fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• side by side.jpg

#22 anthonee

anthonee

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

Amazing. Great experiment.

Have you tried it yet? Let us know how it goes.. :]

#23 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

Sure, I'll let you know in dreams eventually.

This procedure will clean green, yellow, orange, and brown colored mescaline! So if you are concerned about impurities like I am, this works.

The reason why all of the 3 grams of mescaline did not come out perfect snow white was because I believe I added way too many water droplets after the MEK started boiling at 180 degrees F.

I added 80 drops of distilled water, when I should have added maybe 10 to 20 drops.

I will be doing this re-crystallization procedure again someday in dreams, but this time I will get the water drop ratio more on target, so I end up with a majority of perfect white product.

Here's the theory behind the MEK & water re-crystallization:

Tregar asked many years ago:

Can the sanchez just be added to boiling MEK on a hotplate outside, allowed to cool, then put in freezer for a while till xtals formed, then filtered off under vacuum? Or is there more to it than that, what is with the adding of distilled water to get out cloudiness...don't understand any of that.

Avalo responded:

No, that wouldn't work because mescaline.hcl is practically insoluble in MEK, but it is soluble in water. The MEK thing is a dual solvent recrystalisation: MEK and water. The impurities are soluble in both water and mescaline, but are slightly more soluble in MEK then the mescaline is. That's why the mescaline will drop out first.

This has to be done quite precisely because if you add too much water, then not all your mescaline will precipitate out. But if you don't add enough water, then the impurities stay stuck to mescaline powder instead of dissolving into the solution. So you have to use well dried MEK, and once it's boiling, you add 1 drop of water at a time, just until all the mescaline powder dissolves. This gets both the impurities and the mescaline dissolved in the MEK/water mix. And then the solution becomes clear instead of shimmery. It would help if you could stir the solution with a glass rod in between water drop additions, as this helps get everything mixed round well, and would help to avoid adding too much water.

After getting the mescaline powder to dissolve, you boiling the solution to drive off the water (along with some of the MEK) until the solution becomes saturated (shimmery again). The loss of some of the water is what makes some of the mescaline precipitates out as tiny seed crystals. When the solution is cooled down, the rest of the mescaline grows on those crystals, forming large ones. The impurities stay in the solution.

This procedure is definately an art and not a precise science...you have to be really good at determining how many drops to add (once the MEK starts boiling at 180 degrees) to go from "cloudy" to "clear".....after that you boil it down till it starts to "shimmy" or you see crystals start to precipitate out and cling to the inside of the flask, forming a sort of "ring" of very tiny crystals.

Then you turn off the hotplate and transfer to freezer or cool by going from hot-->room temp--->fridge--->freezer for super large cystals to form. I just put it straight into the freezer, and collected the crystals 8 hours later.

Please, if anyone has done this before in dreams and can help answer my question....

1) HOW MANY DROPS OF WATER DID YOU ADD to get your boiling solution to go from "cloudy" to "clear" ??? -- someone I know of in the past has gotten this process to work perfectly, can you add some input for us? please? thanks.

2) When your mek solution was boiling with the mescaline what color was it? It seems that if your solution is cloudy but "clear" that it's easier to determine how many drops of water you need to make it "clear". My solution was light orange/yellow colored, so this is what made it so hard to tell when I went from "cloudy" to "clear", hence my overshooting or even undershooting the amount of water drops to add.
  • Root likes this

#24 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

My genius friend contacted me and let me know that 1.5 dropper full (24 drops) would have been plenty for that amount.

I used about 5 dropper fulls (80 drops) which was too many drops.

Had I used 24 drops (1.5 dropper full) I would have had about 2.7 grams of all perfect snow white mescaline hcl in dreams.

Then it only takes a few minutes to boil it down to where it shimmys (or you start to see tiny seed cystals precipitate out) then you take it off the heat, this is correct, it only takes a few minutes of boiling after the drops of water are added to get it boiled down to the shimmy stage.

Now I know.

tregar out.

#25 IMonIT

IMonIT

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

Yet another fantastic post by our friend tregar ...keep em coming bro! :eusa_clap

#26 antimatt3r

antimatt3r

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

foodsaver for vaccum AWESOME

I have been looking into $50+ buchner setups with hand pumps and trying to justify spending that much but this is great!!!

what is that box in the middle a check valve?

#27 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Thanks IMonIT.

What I did was buy the $60.00 large buchner kit, throw away the hand pumps (they are virtually useless) and attach the hose to the deluxe food saver vacuum port, works great. Has worked for years. Use plumbers tape to mate the hose from the deluxe food saver to the hose coming off your glass buchner flask. Just check out the photo above and you'll see how to do it. No check valve needed. That thing you see inbetween the hoses is just a piece that comes mounted to the hose that comes with the deluxe food saver, it is a mating nipple.

------------

This is a GREAT LAST STEP! It really is very easy and takes up only an hour or so. Most of the waiting is just waiting for the water bath to get to temp...do this in a fumehood though, cause boiling MEK smells kinda strong.

No open flames, no cigarette smoking, no lit pilot lights, and you are good to go. Have fire extinguisher nearby just in case, but you will not need it.

Put 3 grams mesc in 125 mL of dry MEK, add stir bar...you will not need boiling stones if you have a stir bar.

Then heat up your water bath...when the temp of the water bath reaches 180 degrees, the MEK will boil.

Then add 16 to 22 drops of distilled water till it turns "clear".

Then just boil it down (takes only 5 minutes) tell you see tiny crystals start to fall out and gather in a ring.

Put in freezer, collect crystals 8 hours later, rinse with a small amount of acetone, dissolve crystals in hot water if you want and evaporate off the water in a pyrex brownie dish...scrape up your mescaline...it's ready now.

To get even better plates of crystals, let your flask cool down to room temp, move to fridge, then move to freezer.

If you start off with brown mescaline, when you add it to the 125 ml of MEK, it will turn a brownish or color similar to coca-cola. No matter what color your mescaline, or the amount of impurities, this process will work to get it clean.

#28 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

Eventually, I will in dreams be recrystallizing the 2.10 grams of mescaline that did not get a chance to re-crystallize the 1st time I did this, due to my using too many water drops.

So next time I will be recrystallizing 2.0 grams of mescaline in 100 mL of dry MEK, and once the MEK starts boiling at 180 degrees F, I will add about 11 drops of water (or around this amount till the solution goes from "cloudy" to "clear"), then boil it down till it starts to "shimmy" or until tiny crystals start to crash out of solution and collect on the inner flask walls.

Math:

This is what we know so far (given):

*** 3 grams mescaline in 150 ML dry MEK requires around 16 drops (1 dropperful water) added when boiling at 180 degrees F.

Set up a proportion.

*** 3 grams is to 150 ML dry MEK as 2 grams is to X mL of dry MEK.

So that means, if I want to re-crystallize just 2 grams, then...I should use about 100 ML of dry MEK.

*** 3 grams is to 16 drops of water (1 dropperfull) as 2 grams is to X drops.

So that means, if I want to re-crytallize just 2 grams in 100 ML dry MEK, then I will need to add only about 11 drops of water to the boiling MEK.

Conclusion: 2 grams is to 100 ML dry MEK will require about 11 drops of water added when boiling to yield good results in the freezer.

----------------

Update: The 2.10 grams of mescaline came out perfect snow-white color.

Will show pics soon.

#29 cactuswren

cactuswren

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

tregar, that is amazing! Where do you live; I'd sell almost anything [not my soul, just got it back] to try some of that wonderful looking Mescaline. Actually, I've never tried pure Mescaline, just crude plant extractions, but it still my favorite psychedelic. My best experiences have been with dried peyote; hard to get down but worth it if you can eat enough. 6 buttons was the most I could ever eat, but it was always a wonder filled experience. I know pure mescaline would be quite different not having the cornucopia of chemicals in peyote. Still, I'd love to try it before I get too old to enjoy it [is that possible?]. I turn 50 on Monday. I am impressed with your knowledge and the beautiful results. Peace, Love, and Mescaline.

#30 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

Cactuswren, I have found that if you gas your xylene which contains the mescaline freebase (and other alkaloids) you will capture ALL of the alkaloids in the cactus, not just the mescaline, so your end product will be a mix of all the alkaloids in the cactus (full-spectrum), not just the mescaline. I have seperated the other alkaloids from the mescaline, and they are very sedating, will actually put you to sleep if you take 100 to 300mg of these "other alkaloids". The gassed product (all white still) is very similar to injesting cactus tea. See the gassing thread for more info. Gassing leaves nothing behind, it gets it all. Glad you enjoyed the thread. Yes I agree that chocking down the cactus in raw form or injesting cactus tea is one of the hardest things to do. It will NEVER be popular and serves as a deterrent to casual experimentation, recreational use etc.

#31 stochastic

stochastic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

Excellent post tregar! I'm going to try your methods as soon as I'm able.

Could you tell us how you separated the pure mescaline from the rest of the alkaloids?

#32 cactuswren

cactuswren

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Cactuswren, I have found that if you gas your xylene which contains the mescaline freebase (and other alkaloids) you will capture ALL of the alkaloids in the cactus, not just the mescaline, so your end product will be a mix of all the alkaloids in the cactus (full-spectrum), not just the mescaline. I have seperated the other alkaloids from the mescaline, and they are very sedating, will actually put you to sleep if you take 100 to 300mg of these "other alkaloids". The gassed product (all white still) is very similar to injesting cactus tea. See the gassing thread for more info. Gassing leaves nothing behind, it gets it all. Glad you enjoyed the thread. Yes I agree that chocking down the cactus in raw form or injesting cactus tea is one of the hardest things to do. It will NEVER be popular and serves as a deterrent to casual experimentation, recreational use etc.

Thanks for the info. That's what I'd like; gassed, full spectrum, Peyote or San Pedro powder. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable trying this without some direct guidance/supervision. I know you think it is relatively easy to do, but I just don't think it's as simple as baking a cake. Maybe I should put up a want add in the chemistry Dept. at the Univ. "Wanted: knowledgeable chemist to assist and teach full spectrum extraction of psychotropic cactus". :lol:

#33 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Yes Cactuswren, I would spend a few years getting comfortable with the process, this is not something that just happened, it took years of reading and research, experimentation/extraction before I was comfortable with it. You start by doing easy stuff then graduate to the more advanced stuff, just like everything else. I have no chemistry degree but did have 2 semesters of chemistry in college. Read "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual" by Zubrick and you will be good to go. There is a chapter on Re-crystallization in the book.

Cactuswren said:

Maybe I should put up a want add in the chemistry Dept. at the Univ. "Wanted: knowledgeable chemist to assist and teach full spectrum extraction of psychotropic cactus".

:headbang:

stochastic said:

Could you tell us how you separated the pure Mescaline from the rest of the alkaloids?

Hi stochatic. Yes, it's very easy to do...I go over how to do this in the gassing thread.
I'll post it again here, but in a shortened more easily understood form:

If there is any thread that should be starred, it should be this one, as the culmination of all the work I posted is easily explained here in a shortened more easily understood form.

#34 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks to me! (former member of another forum) for coming up with the original novel idea of gassing mescaline. All I did was make it easier, cheaper, safer, and handheld. All kudos go to me! He is sorely missed and truly way ahead of his time. The reason I like mescaline so much is because I've taken LSD over 200 times (just like me!) back in the mid 90's over a period of many years in low, mid and high doses...never had a bad trip, and I find mescaline very much to my liking. To me, it is "natural acid". Here's a quote or two from our old friend me!:

Mescaline is the finest psychoactive substance SWIM knows of... all the power of LSD but none of the freak out of shrooms... beautiful multicolored visuals surpassing either Psilocin or LSD... yet it is characterised by an extreme feeling of peace and well being and connectedness to Everything That Is... SWIM has never heard of anyone ever having a bad trip on the stuff... never, ever, ever... it is very, very kind...

Poet & Writer Junger wrote this after tripping on psilocybin with Dr. Hoffman (from "LSD, my problem child"):

More light was hidden in the dark grain that burst from the ear, more yet in the green juice of the succulents on the glowing slopes of Mexico...[Translator's note: Junger is referring to LSD, a derivative of Ergot , and Mescaline , derived from the Mexican peyotyl cactus.]

This is the ghetto handheld gasser -- requires no sulfuric acid, no glass, no epoxy, no jb weld, no plumbers tape, no multiple jars or anything that will leak, and it's disposable. All 3 parts screw together or fit together perfectly real fast.

The gassing was unevenful--I was scared to death to do this because I've never made a gasser before...but my fears were layed to rest after I put it together and used it--possibly the easiest way to salt mesc I've ever used.

I've used it 3 times since...easy and safe.

Materials needed for the handheld ghetto gasser:
#1 91% isopropyl alcohol HDPE 32 fl oz (946mL) bottle from w******.
#2 Watts A-300A i.d. barb to mip adapter 3/8" by 1/2" from h*** d****.
#3 25' roll of watts polyethylene 1/2" by 3/8" tubing used for food/water uses from h*** d****. cut off a short piece.
#4 box of d*** r** (calcium chloride) from w******.
#5 jug of 31.45% muriatic acid
#6 measuring cup
#7 gloves
#8 gas mask
#9 safety glasses
#10 home made fume hood
#11 funnel (for pouring the CaCL & muriatic into the bottle)

Before beginning, make sure your fume hood is turned on and the fans are pumping air to the outside through the window. Make sure you are wearing jeans, safety glasses, gloves, and gas mask. Have 2 of your 1000mL or so foaf xylene pull jars (pull #1 and pull #2 jars) sitting in the fume hood with the lids off.

#1) Add 500mL (2 cups) of calcium chloride to the empty alcohol bottle, then add 120 mL (1/2 cup) of muriatic acid to the bottle...you will see it bubble a tiny bit...screw on the barb adapter attachment. The barb adapter should have hose allready attached to it--no glue necessary--they fit perfectly together and will be extremely difficult to pull apart when together. The barb threads into the top of the bottle, perfect fit.

Now just put the hand held gasser in the fume hood and let it sit for 2 minutes (wait for the cacl to do its thing and suck the water from the muriatic, leaving pure concentrated gas in the bottle). Now just pick up the gasser and press on it a little bit and you will see a "puff" of pure hcl gas exit the wand...do this a few times in the fume hood so you can make sure the fume hood is working really good...my fume hood has 6 brushless fans and immediately sucks any fumes in the hood and exits them out to the outside right away. There is no "front" to my fumehood, it just has sides, top, bottom & back so I'm able to work freely by just putting my arms & hands into it.

#2) Now insert the wand into the jar #1 --1000mL or so of 1st xylene pull -- make absolutely sure you have dried the non-polar with mescaline freebase with dried epson salts first to capture any water from the non-polar--it needs to be dry, dry, dry to be gassed and leave us with sparkly white mescaline right away. To do this, just add 2 hanfulls of "dried" epsom salts to your jar(s) with xylene. Let it soak for 1 to 3 hours...every 10 minutes shake the jar to let the epsom salts mix. Then when you are ready 1 to 3 hours later, just decant off the xylene from the epsom salts at the bottom....filter the xylene through a #103 filter disc in a buchner flask...this will clean all the epsom salt particles from the xylene. Your xylene is now "dry" and ready to be gassed.

Squeeze on the bottle while the wand is submerged in the non-polar, it will bubble about 10 to 15 medium sized gas bubbles, then pull wand out while still holding the "squeeze" on the bottle....Repeat this about 5 to 10 more times...this only takes a minute or two....you will immediately see a "snow" of mescaline crystals form in the dried non-polar and they will sink to the bottom.

#3) the recipe given above will produce enough gas imho to gas all four of the xylene pulls from foaf's tek. I only gassed the 1st two 40 to 44oz pulls from foaf's tek because I still have to pull the 3rd & 4rth pull. But it was still puffing out plenty of gas when I squeezed on the bottle after I finished up gassing the 1st two pull jars.

#4) hook up the end of an aquarium bubbler to the narrow end of a long glass pippette and insert the pippette into each of the jars for 15 minutes to bubble air through the non-polar to "bleed" off any excess hcl gas that might be trapped in the non-polar--this will aid in case you decide you want to extract your mesc hcl off with water from the non-polar. It will keep your mescaline pure white and not discolored by any excess hcl in the non-polar.

IMPORTANT: when done gassing, screw the barb off the bottle, put the bottle under a sink faucet, and fill it up to the top with cold water to stop the reaction from producing gas inside the bottle. Then dispose of it properly. The bottle will be slightly hot from the reaction and the water will also serve to cool it down.

#35 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

The handheld ghetto gasser. Use it to gas xylene containing mescaline freebase (from foaf's tek for example) to get mescaline hcl.

Attached Thumbnails

• gasser1.jpg

#36 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

Some results so you can see that it works beautifully.

1) After you gas your jar(s), the mescaline "rains" out immediately and falls to the bottom of the jar.

2) Then bubble air through each jar(s) for a few minutes to bleed off the excess hcl gas trapped in the water.
Attach end of aquarium tubing to the narrow end of a long glass pipette.

3) Then you pour the solution thru a buchner funnel with a #103 filter disc. The mescaline will collect on top the filter. So long as you dried your xylene containing mescaline freebase properly, you will end up with some white stuff. If you did not dry your xylene properly, you will end up with brown mescaline...because then the gassing turns into "just a messy time-wasting sort of titration" instead of near-perfect looking product. The gasser is 100% anahydrous, it creates VERY DRY gas. When gas is made using aluminum foil dropped into muriatic acid, the gas is VERY WET as well as somewhat dangerous. View the idiots making hcl gas with aluminum foil & muriatic to create explosions for kicks on youtube for example. That's some dumbass shit. This procedure/process is very safe and effective though.

Then you clean the mescaline at least 3 times with liberal amounts of acetone, wash and rinse it real good. Then you can either add the now rinsed mescaline to a brownie dish with a small amount of boiling distilled water to "drive off" any remaining solvent fumes. Put a fan over the brownie pyrex dish on the "high" setting. When all the water has evaporated off, then you can scrape up the mescaline hcl, it's now clean. Or you can re-crystallize the mescaline (see thread in the "advanced lab procedures" sub-forum.)

Something my friend and I have discovered, is that the pure mescaline hcl will collect ON TOP the #103 filter disc with heavy vacuum applied, but all of the non-mescaline alkaloids (very sedating) will fall thru the filter and re-collect back in the xylene in your collection jar. We found that if you are extracting trichocereus macrogonus you will end up with a pile of "highly sedating alkaloids" in the collection jar mixed in with the xylene. To collect those alkaloids, you simply pour the xylene into a sep funnel, add 1/4 cup of boiling hot water, drain off the bottom water layer within 10 to 20 seconds, and then evaporate off the water -- you will be left with all sorts of non-mescaline alkaloids. As persona mentioned, the mescaline hcl tends to "stay with its own kind". He helped me to better understand why this occurs.

This is the first time on the internet that this has been accidentaly discovered--ie. the seperation of mescaline hcl from the other alkaloids using a simple 2.5 micron filter disc. The dosing was also accidental in the beginning, when we sampled the alkaloids that fell through the filter, we thought we would be taking mescaline too, but NOT TRUE! The other alkaloids have entirely different effects on the brain, as we soon discovered.

These alkaloids can either be re-added back to your "pure mescaline hcl pile" that you collected ON TOP the #103 (2.5 micron) filter disc, like a tossed salad, for the "full spectrum alkaloid effect" which is similar to ingesting cactus tea or you can simply sample it all by itself. You will end up with about 1/4 of your extract being these non-mescaline alkaloids and about 3/4 of your extract being pure mescaline. This is all highly dependent on what variety you are extracting. I would love to see what someone ends up with when they extract from bridgesii.

My friend and I sampled these "non-mescaline" alkaloids three seperate times, in varying dosages from 100 to 300mg, and found that they will kick in within 1 hour and quickly lull you to sleep or put you in a heavy hypnagogic state. It makes a great natural sleeping pill. Refer to this paper by Dr. Heffter to learn more about the sedating alkaloids in cactus (this paper only examines peyote alkaloids however): http://www.heffter.o...view2/chap2.pdf

Attached Thumbnails

• gasser bubbler.JPG
  • gasser2.JPG

#37 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

This is what the mescaline looked like that collected ON TOP the #103 filter disc after pouring the gassed xylene through it. That's the yellow xylene that likes to "kling" to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• goo.JPG

• witchdr11 likes this

#38 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

The "goo" you see in the picture above is then just rinsed with acetone--it only takes a few minutes. Since we gassed, the yellow xylene will rinse off very quickly...then you will be left with pretty nice looking mescaline (seen below). Be sure to clean this mescaline with liberal amounts of acetone (at least 3 times) then dissolve it in a minimal amount of boiling water and evaporate the water off in a pyrex brownie dish...this will serve to drive off any remaining solvent fumes...you can then use the mescaline as is or re-crystallize it. I prefer to re-crystallize.

You MUST clean the mescaline from the gassing with lots of acetone...smell the crystals, you will sense it smells of xylene...if you put some on your tongue, it will burn because of the xylene trapped around the crystals...it has to be washed/rinsed properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• white.JPG

#39 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Don't forget to wear a gas mask...do this both when you add the cacl and muriatic acid to the container and when gassing. I found a cheap great mask at h*** d**** in the paint section. It filters out muriatic gas fumes. So since you are using both a fumehood and a gas mask, you are double protected from the dangerous gas which can kill if you breathe it. The ghetto gasser only puts out tiny amounts of the gas, and only "on demand" when you squeeze on it--so that's added protection. Be sure to add water from a faucet or nearby gallon of water to the gasser when your done. Add the water till it fills the container all the way to the top. This will stop the reaction. Screw the cap back on. Then you can dispose of it in a garbage bag inside another garbage bag. Or you can wait and then just pour out the contents after quenching it with water. Dispose of muriatic water in a proper manner. Two side filters not shown attached to the mask. These come with the mask, be sure to attach them! The first time I gassed, I forgot to attach the side filters, just goes to show you how well my fumehood worked!

Attached Thumbnails

• gassser5.jpg

#40 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

This fume hood works great when you are re-crystallizing (gets rid of boiling MEK fumes) or when you are gassing (pulls out muriatic hcl gas). It backs up to an open back window...I like to have a curtain (that lets air-thru) inbetween the window and the back of the fume hood...that way, no one can see your fume hood. Be sure to buy the largest size computer fans you can find from Radio Shack...I think they are around $25 a piece...you can find them cheaper on ebay or somwhere else I'm sure though. The fans are brushless so they cannot "spark". I LOVE my fumehood!

You can find all the parts you need at Radio Shack (the 4 to 6 fans), the plastic box at Target, and the bolts and nuts at your local hardware section or store. You can find the drill circle tool with blade on ebay for cheap (less than $9).

Construction of the fume hood:
Materials needed:

#1) 110 Liter sterlite or rubbermaid container
#2) six 115VAC 65CFM brushless computer cooling fans (4.7 x 4.7 x 1.5")
#3) AC cord
#4) soldering iron and solder & electrical tape or screw nuts
#5) 6-32 or 8-32 bolts, nuts & washers for mounting the fans
#6) drill circle tool with blade
#7) ruler and marker
#8) drill & drill bits

TIP: Forward and reverse the drill when you are using the drill circle cutting tool to quickly cut out a circle section for each motor--when you fwd & reverse the drill, I found it cuts through the plastic faster.

Attached Thumbnails

• fumehood 1.JPG
  • fumehood2.JPG
  • fumehood3.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!