• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bigjohnny91

Bigjohnny91

Big Pun

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

I snapped a few photos the other night while I was making up some quart popcorn jars. I heard problems about the kernals cracking from some of our friends on-site here but my method here has not shown any problems with the cracking. So I thought I'd share with my fellow topiats.
:bow:

I started off with a 24 hour pre-soak of a 2 LB jar of popcorn kernals.

After the 24 hour period, the kernals were engorged to just about half its original size and they could be easily bitten in half with my teeth.

I strained out the kernals into a strainer and wash/spray down very well to remove the starch that has been extracted from the kernals.

Let drain VERY well.
The kernals are to dried out to be bone dry for fear of contamenents so I layed out towel and dumped kernals into towel, roll around, exchange with new towel, and roll around more untill (can't say this enough) bone dry.

The quart jars have been loaded with a spoonful of vermiculite to collect any excess water that was missed in the drying out process and to collect any unusual amout of water being released from the engorged kernals during the sterilization process.

Jars also have the 1/2 inch hole filled with polyfill and 1/16 inch hole for the innoculatin.

Load up jars with the popcorn and left 1 1/2" from top of jars for space to shake if needed in future.

I put Johnson and Johnson waterproof tape over nocc hole, wrapped top with tin foil and loaded into cooker.

Verrrry controversal here.....
My jars were not PC'd but were steam sterilized.

The jars were elevated off the bottom of the cooker with 2 plates and the water was filled to the bottom of the jars. Sterilized for 2- 2 1/2 hours keeping close eye on water level as the water evaporates very quick.

After sterilized, cooled and removed tape and foil, I knocced up with PESA and Combodian.

I will post up pics soon with the mycelium pics....surprisingly fast for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_1022.JPG
  • 101_1027.JPG
  • 101_1017.JPG
  • 101_1018.JPG
  • 101_1014.JPG
  • 101_1013.JPG
  • 101_1016.JPG
  • 101_1012.JPG
  • 101_1011.JPG
  • 101_1015.JPG

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:12 AM

Nice write up. I like the "verrrry..." part. :teeth:

You think it could be the 24 hour soak, wash, and "bone-dryness" that helps in your case? I take it you are having full time success with this.

#3 Bigjohnny91

Bigjohnny91

Big Pun

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

Thx, dial8, for the kind words!
:hippie:

This is actually my frist time using the popcorn but I am hoping for it to lead the way for my future in mycology

#4 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

hey bigJ
those jars look nice but next time i think you should leave space for shaking..

#5 Bigjohnny91

Bigjohnny91

Big Pun

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

I have about an 1 1/2" of room for shaking in them currently....

...hows 2" sound?

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

about right
2/3s full is what most do.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!