allergies and mushrooms
Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:39 PM
Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:47 PM
Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:27 AM
Depending on the severity of the reaction to edibles, I'd say proceed with caution. If the usual reaction is some flushing or something minor, then take a bit, take a chance. If the reaction to edibles is anaphylactic shock ending in a visit to the ER... it's just not worth it.
(I'm not a doctor- that's not medical advice!)
Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:34 AM
as they are concentrated, generally.
if by chance the particular allergen is
part of that concentrate,
the reaction could be more severe.
this person should, imo ,
ask their doctor the question
is he allergic to ALL mushrooms or
is he allergic to just a particular species ?
if he doesn't ask
but wants to test himself
leave out the alcohol,
take a very small dose
a pinch of ground shroom powder
and see if he has a reaction.
Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:54 PM
Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:10 PM
i'd sure hate to be the guy
his lips swelled up and also his throat and he had realy bad shits and was puking for a whole day when it happened,
who had to take
his buddy to the ER
and trying to explain
how he got the shrooms.
Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:14 PM
he said that his lips swelled up and also his throat
That is the definition of an anaphylactic reaction. Your friend should not do any mushrooms. These reaction tend to get worse with repeated exposures...The next one might kill him. That would be a BAD TRIP...for everyone involved. If I were his friend and he insisted, I would at the very least have an Epipen handy to give him a shot of epinephrin if he started to suffocate.
Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:17 AM
i got a friend that is allergic to edibal mushrooms would they be allergic to magic ones too, and if so would they be ok taking extracted shroomies extracted with everclear?
Well, that's an unfortunate allergy. Anaphylaxis is nothing to mess around with, but on the bright side there are plenty of other ways to look inside; cactus, spice, ayahuasca, etc.
Anybody know how an allergy to so many different species of fungi occurs? I'm very curious about this, and would like to know what aspect of fungal physiology is universal across Families and Species (even Orders?) to allow such an allergy? Or, is it some issue in your friend's physiology, such as a missing enzyme, that makes him allergic to lots and lots of things?
Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:12 PM
Anybody know how an allergy to so many different species of fungi occurs? ?
Typically, allergies involve proteins. Somebody allergic to all mushrooms is likely allergic to some protein specific to mushrooms. Wouldn't be surprising if the same person was allergic to say, mold.
But it's not always obvious like that. One risk factor for latex allergy is being allergic to bananas. The trees are in the same family, I guess.
Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:19 PM
Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:39 PM
Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:41 PM
Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:45 PM
Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:37 PM
Think he'd be safe if we dabbed a q tip of extract on his arm to test?
I'm sure we all have an opinion on that, but our opinions aren't really going to do you any good since we aren't doctors, and anonymous advice is about as credible as guessing. It's not our place to suggest to anyone that they do something that potentially risks a serious allergic reaction. An allergy specialist could probably tell you if mushroom extracts are safe, and it could be discussed in the context of medicinal tinctures if you don't want to talk about the magic ones.
Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:43 PM
really there are no 100% safe edible mushrooms.
-some people get sick from button mushrooms, some from oysters, portabella ect
-more often it happens with wild mushrooms, morels are one example
-some morels are actually poisonous when not yet cooked, and alcohol does not always mix well with them
not smart to mix alcohol with a good number of edibles, but some people are not effected by it
polypores and Medicinal mushrooms all seem to have very very low toxicity for everyone
i have never heard of any one ever being allergic to Psilocybe cubensis
like hip suggested, try a very small amount and see if there are any symptoms
-that goes with any new species of edibles a person trys to be perfectly safe
i think that i might have had a allergic reaction that was not too severe the first and only time i remember trying fresh but cooked King Boletes, maybe because i was hung over
others will eat a edible mushroom all of their lives and then all the sudden their body developes a sensitivity to the species and they get ill from consuming them
a lot more variables are present when consuming wild edible mushrooms, and alcohol is something a person might want to steer clear of with some edibles
Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:47 PM