• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 AndyLandy420

AndyLandy420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

lol thanks, i chose the word combat to convey how i felt about fungus messin with my boys.
thanks everyone, wish me luck, i will try to get a photolog going, ill keep ya informed

#22 Kadass

Kadass

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:24 AM

you should no thave any problems with fungus. the one thing many people run into (caused by having arganic debris in a too wet environment) is cobweb type molds. it will still grow under lights, but airing it out more will get rid of it. i have never seen a mold attack a healthy cactus....instead too wet conditions make the cacti rot and the fungus moves in on the dead/dieing parts of the cactus. just keep the *humidity* high and the medium slightly moist at all times and you will be rocking!

#23 AndyLandy420

AndyLandy420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

what is the best way to go about sterilizing or pasturizing the soil?
it seems to me that since both methods (microwave and oven) heat the soil, its gunna stink, but oven cooking can be done dry so i think i'll go with that, i've heard you cook it for one hour but at what temp?
thanks

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

I don't sterilize the soil. Probably a waste of time.
The most efficient way to do it is to pre-hydrate your soil and load it into quart jars. Sterilize for 60-90 min. @ 15psi in a pressure cooker.

The same could be accomplished by bringing your soil up to a temp of 250*F and holding it there for 60-90 min. I believe pre-hydration is key to achieving uniform temperatures.

Or follow Spacecake's tek. The beauty part of his idea is that sand, perlite, and vermiculite lack any nutritional value on their own and, therefore, cannot support molds, fungus, and the like. I'm trying it out myself just for experimental sake.

#25 Kadass

Kadass

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

mold doesn't grow on sand unless there is something for it to eat, which is another reason to use it for the surface layer. i don't sterilize my soils either and have yet to have any problems. just dont use bad mixes with decomposing crap in it :)

#26 AndyLandy420

AndyLandy420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

thanks fellas, ill let you know how it goes.

whats the best kind of light to use for peyote?
i am guessing flouros won't cut it with adult cactus, so what do cactus prefer? MH or HPS?

#27 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:18 PM

Flouros will work fine for seedlings. For adults, put them outside in a shady spot. It seems that in the wild they grow in the shade of various shrubs and bushes. Never culivated adult cacti indoors before so I can't offer an opinion on lighting. My guess would be MH since HPS represents the Fall season color spectrum (used to induce flowering in certain.......ehem...herbs). :weedpoke:

#28 slaphappyjacko

slaphappyjacko

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Don't over think it. You are just growing cacti.

IMO you should get them out of the high humidity stage asap.

These things are geared for a harsh environment. They like hot, dry, and bright. Babying them is more likely to lead to their demise than neglecting them.

SWIM started seeds long ago. One seed somehow (fell) ended up on a solitary pot (one of those VERY little clay flower pots) all that was in the pot was straight peat. This seedling grew much faster than those in the trays. It was the size of one of the smaller 2 yr olds shown above after six months, while the others were eraser sized and smaller. SWIM gave it two a friend who tried to graft it (but didn't know what he was doing) and it died.

I am not recommending you go straight peat, but it illustrates that there is no need to over think it.

BTW- They grow surprisingly fast when they are young. It can be very rewarding to watch. Grafting is even more rewarding. It seems like age plays more of a role in potency than size though.

As an entheogen, I think peyote is low on the list. It is too rare and takes too long to grow. By the time it is ready, you will notice it comes up missing because your teenager has figured out what it is.

Also, when people eat peyote, they often consume more than 10g of material. What would 10g of mushrooms do?:headbang: It has a reputation as being a big bad psychedelic, but at the end of the day...

As a house plant, it is fun to stare at :weedpoke:

The novelty wears off quick though.

#29 AndyLandy420

AndyLandy420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

i am an overthinker sometimes, what can i say :teeth:

would a dilute solution of distilled water and hydrogen peroxide (1 cap ful to 20oz water) be harmfull to germinating seeds?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!