• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Fan dry shrooms for a day or two, and get them cracker dry with dessicant. Pack into ziplock bags, suck out air and seal, and put inside a glass canning jar w/ lid and rubber side down. No dessicant or anything added to the jar. Will they be good for long term like this?

Thanks!

#2 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

Sounds good. I use just a food dehydrator with no heating elemnet and in 2 - 4 days they are perfect and no need for desicant......it really hasnt done anything noticeable for me.....but I cant every keep them long enough for long term storage.

#3 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

Ok great thanks. Also, will room temperature be ok for long storing? Refrigerator is not an option.

#4 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

I would put them in the freezer, i don't trust storing at room temps for more than a couple weeks, but I think it is ok for up to 3-4 months, but the freezer can keep them good for awhile.

#5 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:38 PM

Space Ghost...should be ok for a while. Have read that the two main enemies are Oxygen and Light. Getting most of the air out of the bag is a good start. You might look into a foodsaver vacuum bagger too. Not just for the bags (which are an excellent upgrade to the ziplock), but there is an $8US attachment that lets you vacuum seal fresh or dried in a widemouth jar. I use it all the time and the metal lids can be reused indefinately if you are careful with popping the vacuum with a spoon at the edge when you want into the contents. Anyway, the entire vacuum bag sealer can be had for under $100 for the fancy ones and less for some of the smaller ones...many models out there...they have them at Walmart, as well as the special vacuum jars (kinda spendy but very nice) and the jar top attachment. I don't care for the Black and Decker version and would suggest the best Foodsaver brand you can afford if you go this route.

Otherwise, do what you are doing but keep them hidden in a dark place (good idea to stealthify your stash anyway.)

Good luck. :D

Oh heck...here let me get some pix...

Pic 1: This is a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. The black lines are rubber seals for the vacuum channel. The greyish white line under it is the impulse heat strip that will warm up just enough to "melt" or weld two pieces of foodsaver bag together. Also will reseal potato chip bags if done carefully...;)

Pic 2: Here is the same unit closed, and with the vacuum hose attachment. It will fit the special vacuum jar (shown) and the normal wide mouth canning jars (also shown) with the attachment that goes over the widemouth jar...as shown in...

Pic 3: Just use a normal metal lid and this baby will suck the extra air out of the jar.

Pic 4: And when you wanna get into the contents...say some freshies that have been keeping nicely for a couple weeks...just put some pressure with a spoon on the lid. Be gentle and they are reusable many many times.

Attached Thumbnails

• foodsaver 03.jpg
  • foodsaver 04.jpg
  • foodsaver 02.jpg
  • foodsaver 01.jpg

#6 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:09 PM

Nice write up, thanks! That looks like a great device.

Hmm lots of conflicting feedback from different people. Some folks at the shroomery said they can last potent for 5+ years at room temperature, is that possible?

#7 int

int

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to vaccuum seal mushroms simply in a vac bag? I have a vac. sealer but not that jar attatchment, and I was worried about it maybe smashing the shrooms when it sucks the air out? Also if you vac. sealed some fresh mushrooms and kept them in the fridge away from light how long would they will keep?

#8 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:24 PM

I use the back edge of a butter knife to open the widemouth lids I seal with my foodsaver.
Doesn't a spoon bend the lid since you are lifting with a real thin edge?

#9 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:06 AM

Spaceghost...dunno...heard conflicting reports myself. But the Shroomery is very hard place to get real info from so maybe someone here will know. Stephen Peele has posted that Psilly in alcohol extraction can last for 5+ years...but dried should start losing potency within a few months? Anyone got any real data? I do know that if you take the Psilly to dry crystals they lose potency in days.

Int...the bag for freshies is kind of a waste of bag. Likely needs to be used within three weeks or it starts getting a bit slimey. At least it does in the jar. I wouldn't worry about crushing as that should not matter at all.

Shobi...knife, spoon, whatever...i've not had any trouble with it. Seems to pop the vacuum easy enough and haven't had any problem resealing, even after bending it with super-monkey force one time by accident.

#10 psilomed

psilomed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:34 AM

storing fresh mushies under a vacuum leads to problems - this was discussed in a previous thread a short while ago which offered a link which warned that certain strains of botulism will grow under a vacuum with fresh mushies. can somebody help find that link? unable to find it.

#11 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:09 AM

IME....dry powdered mush lost about 25% potency stored in a glass jar at room temp for 3 months at normal air pressure...Now i pack tight into 1/4pint jars and freeze...I'm sure that removing the O2 would extend their life considerably at room temp...there are oxeygen absorbing capsules out there but never tried em...

#12 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:30 AM

IME....dry powdered mush lost about 25% potency stored in a glass jar at room temp for 3 months at normal air pressure...Now i pack tight into 1/4pint jars and freeze...I'm sure that removing the O2 would extend their life considerably at room temp...there are oxeygen absorbing capsules out there but never tried em...

I am curious how you quantified the loss at 25%

:)

#13 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

I am curious how you quantified the loss at 25%

:)

#14 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

If you get the air and water out, they will last at room temperature for years. I dry with dessicant, then vacume seal in bags with a silica gel food grade dessicant pak in every bag. Last week on vacation we opened up a few bags that had been stored for over three years. There was zero loss of potency. I'm sure jars would work just as well for long term storage. Keep a bit of dessicant or at least some uncooked rice in the jar.
RR

#15 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

That's what I wanted to hear. Wouldn't the dessicant draw moisture from the shrooms through the ziplock bag though?

Thanks Rodger!

#16 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

storing fresh mushies under a vacuum leads to problems - this was discussed in a previous thread a short while ago which offered a link which warned that certain strains of botulism will grow under a vacuum with fresh mushies. can somebody help find that link? unable to find it.

Yes here is the thread
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=2531

link to pdf explaining why you shouldn't vacuum pack fresh mushrooms
http://www.nysaes.co...df/fall2001.pdf

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

Never store fresh mushrooms. A cracker dry mushroom will last for a while vacuum sealed.

#18 alienprimate

alienprimate

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

I think the two key factors others have hit on are-

1) They must stay dry, and

2) Don't let them get too hot

A buddy of mine took some capsulated ones that had been stored at room temp for over a year, and they had no noticable loss in potency.

#19 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

Never store fresh mushrooms. A cracker dry mushroom will last for a while vacuum sealed.

The only reason I ever (and rarely) save freshies in a vacuum jar...is if I want to have enough from a slow flush for a fresh trip for me and whoever else is journeying. And never for more than two weeks, for safety sake. I said three weeks above but really two is a better idea, in the fridge, in a vacuum sealed jar.

#20 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:48 PM

Joey - i determined the gradual loss of potency thru regular 2gram dose,prepared the same way every weekend from 1 pint jar of powder.. By the time i'm nearing the bottom of the jar it takes closer to 3 grams to reach the same level trip...Everytime the jar is opened fresh O2 gets in and slowly degrades the goods which r kept at room temp...Thats why now i store in quarter pints in freezer....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!