• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi guys! I've finally got some fruiting pics for y'all! It seems like I've been playing with myc for so long, that's all i'd ever do, but here I am with my first fruits in about two years. I took a break from cultivation a while back due to some roommate issues, but now I'm going strong, and more dedicated than ever before. So anyway, this is an 11" foodsaver tube, stuffed with straw and 4 quarts of Hillbilly WBS (multispore). I went kind of heavy on the spawn, because I didn't realize how much the straw would compress as I was stuffing the log. But hell, it colonized in about 4 days! The log ended up being about 12" long, and about 7" in diameter. Pins started at 13 days, and these pics are at day 16. To prep the straw, I soaked it in hot tap water with a 1/4 cup of lime and 1/4 cup bleach for about an hour, then loaded it into a cooler and added 180 degree water (which cooled to about 160 as soon as it hit the straw). I let that soak for about an hour and a half, then drained, waited until cool and started stuffing. As you can see in the pics, there's a couple spots of green :( - at first I thought it was just bluing from accidental bruising, but it's looking pretty green now. So this might be a one flush wonder. I might try to cut it out after harvest and dunk, just to see what happens. All in all, I'm sold on the straw log tek. Now I've just got to buy a big ass roll of poly tubing and I'll be set for life :teeth:

Oh, and I almost forgot:
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1061.JPG
  • IMG_1059.JPG
  • IMG_1060.JPG
  • IMG_1058.JPG
  • IMG_1057.JPG

#2 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

:headbang:

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

Yeah that looks pretty damn good. You might try salting those trich spots. Could help. If you do plan on keeping em through the first flush then you really need to clean the hell out of your grow room with a bleach/water mix before you start you next grow.

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

:dance::dance::dance:

reminds me of the old saying,
if she had as many sticking out her
as she has had in her she would look like
a Hillbilly straw log :teeth:

#5 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

I love seeing pins :)

:cacti::dance::cacti:

#6 circumsizzle

circumsizzle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Looking REAL nice. Keep it up. May the schwartz be with you.:eusa_clap

#7 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

thx guys. i'll keep ya posted!

#8 res

res

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Nice looking log man. For some reason every strawlog I've ever done ended up with trich.

a Hillbilly straw log

LMFAO

#9 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

well, here they are a couple days later. sadly, the trich is growing apace with the shrooms, so i'm just gonna toss this after picking and make a new one. i love how quickly shrooms grow after pinning. Every time I check on them I'm startled by how much bigger they've gotten in only a few hours. can someone tell me the best time to pick for print-making? do you want to catch them before the veil tears, or just after? never made prints before, and would like to have a few to spread around. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1068.JPG
  • IMG_1069.JPG
  • IMG_1067.JPG
  • IMG_1066.JPG

#10 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

A fine job, man!

I'm glad you intend to print some, as I want to swap for some Hillbilly real bad.

I'm relatively new at this, but I get my darkest prints if I wait until just after the veil breaks and WATCH for the cap to spread out. Somewhere from the veil break to full unfold the spores will drop- for me usually near full unfold.

Although I heard some are dropping as the veil tears!

Nice Job!

Catdaddy

#11 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

If you do plan on keeping em through the first flush then you really need to clean the hell out of your grow room with a bleach/water mix before you start you next grow.

Might be a good instance to add some vinegar to you bleach water to get some extra potent spore killing power.

http://mycotopia.net...gar-bleach.html

#12 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

cool. thanks for the responses guys. i didn't know that about the pH of bleach; i've got some pH down I could use instead of vinegar, as Hippie says vinegar makes trich grow faster. my growroom is getting a massive cleaning as soon as the harvests are done. I'm kind of busy processing some greenery atm:
http://mycotopia.net...87&d=1203372328
I totally let my herb thread die, but only cause I was busy saving the plants! One died anyway due to a failed airstone, but the rest pulled through like champs. So far I've chopped half the harvest and it's hanging up to dry. Trimming that half took forever, at least eight hours. :rasta:now it's time to pick some more... :teeth:

Attached Thumbnails

• yummy!.jpg

#13 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

well, here they are a couple days later. sadly, the trich is growing apace with the shrooms, so i'm just gonna toss this after picking and make a new one. i love how quickly shrooms grow after Pinning . Every time I check on them I'm startled by how much bigger they've gotten in only a few hours. can someone tell me the best time to pick for print-making? do you want to catch them before the veil tears, or just after? never made prints before, and would like to have a few to spread around.

That is a great flush on that log, congrats!

I would wait to take prints from a future grow that doesn't have trich growing on it. There's a good chance you'll be spreading around contaminated prints if you do. Really sucks getting one of those.

#14 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:05 PM

good advice rev. i've got enough spawn for a few more projects, plus another syringe, so i'm not hurting for spores personally. and for sharing, i'd rather make sure they're clean than have them quick. i think i might pick em tomorrow; several have opened up and started dropping spores already, but there's a couple lagging behind. i'm so excited! it's been too long since i had freshies!

#15 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

i've got enough spawn for a few more projects, plus another syringe, so i'm not hurting for spores personally

:thumbup:

#16 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

perty!

#17 Hillbilly

Hillbilly

redneck

• Expired Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

:dance::dance::dance:

a Hillbilly straw log :teeth:

:lol:

#18 GordianHyphae

GordianHyphae

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

hey guys. i picked these a few days ago; ended up with 253 grams wet. :teeth: somewhere there's a pic, but I can't find my damn camera right now. tomorrows project: eat up!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!