• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 freestar

freestar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

my WBS is colonized,is it ok to let it set for a few days before i use it?Ive orderd my poo from Hippie3,it should be here hopefully in the next 4 or so days.I have some horse poo,but my wife isnt to pleased with me when i started to talk about what i had to do with it.so i figured i would just wait til i receive my order of poo.

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

It will be fine.

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Yeah your good.

IF the little lady has a problem with it tell her that she will not smell a thing and the kitchen will be tidier than it was before you began. I clean the hell out of the kitchen before and after my pasteurizing excursions. Now she loves it when I say I am going to cook some h-poo.

#4 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

Worm castings that are put into jars 2/3 full and placed in a pressure cooker or other large cooking device, which is filled with water to about 3/4 of the jars and heated to 160 degrees for 1 gto 1 1/2 hrs, will work just as good as any horse poo. Plus there is very little stink, and the yeild is always great. Shroom on.

#5 freestar

freestar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

wife is going to take our daughter to take her pitcures today.so ill have a few hours to play.can anyone link me to a tek that i can do in that amount of time.i only have a little PC and a big black pan,the kind you use for canning.this will be my first time using poo.

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

This tek shows what you need:
Mycotopia Web Archive: Pastuerization: hot water baths and Steamers

No need for a PC to pasteurize. Watch the temperatures. Very important. Temps. should stay as close to 160*F as possible.

The wife won't be bummed as long as you clean up. The smell is very mild and is easily dissipated by opening a window or door when you're done.

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,099 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

One hot plate - corn roasting tub - an hour in the garage and everyone is happy!

#8 freestar

freestar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

im going to spawn my WBS to the horse poo.talked wife into letting me do it without her griping.before i transfer the WBS to the poo,should i shake the jar first?or should i just put it on it then mix?

#9 freestar

freestar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

heres a few pics of my WBS spawned to straight horse poo.they was both done on 2-18.they dont look quit done yet to me.But yet they are starting to pin.If ya could look at the pics an let me know what you think,an any advice would be highly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• TROY 028.jpg
  • TROY 029.jpg
  • TROY 019.jpg
  • TROY 016.jpg
  • TROY 015.jpg

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Those look great!! Good job! :cool:

I usually case mine at this point.
Fahtster has a late casing experiment you might check out since you already have pins.

#11 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

maybe you could pop the 100% colonized horse poo out of the bowl in one piece, dunk it for 12 hours, put it on a clean plate, on top of one or two beer cans cut in thirds and used as risers now cover the plate with the bowl, the bowl will act like a terrarium. Let it get some indirect light. It will most likely fruit well.

You could also cover the bowl with saran wrap air it out 2 times a day and wait for pins. You don't need to case. IMO, projects that are not clones or isolates in a proper enviorment, need a casing to help the baby shrooms, primordia grow.

gluck youll be trippin balls in no time:headbang:

#12 freestar

freestar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

just got back from buying some coir.should i top my casings off with a 60/40 verm./coir?and if i use coir do i need to use lime?i thought coir didnt need no lime.am i right on this?thank you in advanced:headbang:

#13 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

IME you dont need lime, and you could go with less verm if you want.

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

my WBS is colonized,is it ok to let it set for a few days before i use it?

My approach might be a bit obsessive-compulsive, but it works great for me. I believe it's best to use the grain to spawn a bulk sub the moment it is fully colonized. I notice a huge difference in terms of the difficulty of breaking up the grains if I wait as few as 8 hours after it's fully colonized, but that's partly due to the mycelial momentum of achieving full colonization of quart jars in 3 days.

Holding on to it for awhile will still work ok, but the longer you wait, the more two things happen: 1) The WBS clumps get harder and harder to break up, though some people use sterile spoons to get them out if that happens and 2) The mycelium switches gears (so to speak) when it can't find any new food to colonize, so it slows down and begins to turn the substrate into CO2, metabolic wastes, and heat until it's used as spawn or fruiting is initiated. The longer you wait, the less energy it will have available for whatever the next step is.

As for me, I don't stick a spoon or anything into the jars to break up grain clumps, so I really want to avoid #1 above. Some people use a spoon like that all the time, with great results, but I've encouraged more contamination than I can tolerate by doing that, so I don't.

One last tip I'd recommend is shaking up the spawn (whether in quarts or bags) the night before spawning to bulk. That way, you have 12 hours or so of mycelial recovery, and any jars on the brink of contamination will likely become obvious (they will stink and/or not recover at all). That will save you from subsequently contaminating a tub or two of poo. Also, sometimes it takes a long time to break up solid grain clumps, so doing all that work the night before helps make things easier, and by morning the grain hasn't recovered enough to be a solid chunk again.

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

a recovery period is good

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!