• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lovedinplaster

lovedinplaster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

i have been reading up on the mysterious kombucha tea. i have been planning to start a culture for a few months now, and i was wondering if mycotopia had any sponsors that sold the culture or the "mushroom" itself. not only that but i just bought the february special from TGS. it will be my first grow and examination.

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

Im not sure. I just did a quick search and it appears to be a bacteria and yeast, not a mushroom. Mushroom is the translation.

#3 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I remember that someone was offering a culture a while back in the free spore ring, i think. Maybe the edibles free spore ring. Take a look and maybe PM the person to work out a trade?

#4 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:06 PM

From what I understand, a new culture can be started from raw kombucha sold at the grocery store. Just make sure not to purchase the pasteurized kind.

Paul Stamets has a very interesting article on Kombucha

I was making it for awhile. Neat stuff.

The thing is, its an antibiotic, so drinking it every day would seem to reduce its effectiveness. That's not to say that it is worthless though.

#5 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

probiotic or antibiotic?

#6 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

Antibiotic, from the Stamets article, on a conversation between him and a pharmaceutical corp research group:

"Our tests show that this thing produces what could be a novel antibiotic, effective against methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus " (The common bacterium responsible for " Staph " infections. Due to the wide use of antibiotics, strains of S. aureus had evolved resistance to many antibiotics.)

A quick search for 'kombucha' produces the following results:

#7 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

Pick up a bottle at Whole foods and take some culture off the bottom and get started.

#8 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

oh, could be :thumbup:

#9 lovedinplaster

lovedinplaster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

i first read about the kombucha synergy through a book called "magical mushrooms mischevious molds". i recommend picking it up and reading it for anyone who is or will become interested in mushrooms. yea.. i don't have anything to trade atm but i hope i will beable to join the ring in the near future.

#10 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

BTW, its not a mushroom. Its a symbiotic matrix of some sort of mucus membrane created by two to four yeasts and bacteria.

#11 lovedinplaster

lovedinplaster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

yea actually just two yeasts and two bacteria, the yeast allows it to take te gellatinus shape.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!