Photo
- - - - -

Straw & Horse Manure: Basic Questions

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

AS, when you see the size difference alone poo can give compared to straight casings you'll be like, why wasn't I playing in poop earlier? lol

Don't get me wrong, you can get nice size ones off of brfv cakes, or straight grains. I really like the poo shrooms though!

#22 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

A foaf got a ton of horse poo and is going to plant it out in a field and inoculate heap by heap with some syringes. What about using horse poo in jars? Has anyone ever used horse poo to colonize jars? Is there a specific ratio of water to manure? I just checked out the archives, but only saw bulk growing, and using brf or grain jars for spawn. Does anyone scoop horse poo in jars to pc, and then inoculate? Whats the pro's and con's compared to grains? The horse poo is free of course.

#23 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Not sure that you wanna PC poop

#24 Horus XCIII

Horus XCIII

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

Not sure that you wanna PC poop

\

LMAO! I just got friggin water all over the floor :lol: I need to stop reading the board stoned.

#25 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

So basically, the only good use for it is bulk substrate when pasturized? I read the vaults and saw the instructions for pasturizing the poop, I just wasn't sure if anyone ever tried to sterilize it.

#26 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Has anyone ever tried using spawn bags with the filter patch and fruiting them in the bag?

#27 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

Yup, works pretty well.

I've pasturized the poo, then added it to the bag of colonized grain. That way, you don't havet o handle the grain, less chance of contam. that way.

#28 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

So basically, the only good use for it is bulk substrate when pasturized?

are you trying to use it for something else, like a cake?

I read the vaults and saw the instructions for pasturizing the poop, I just wasn't sure if anyone ever tried to sterilize it.

wouldnt sterilzing poop to the max be like hydating it with a bit of h202 and PC'ing it? wouldnt that be nasty? i think as long as you just follow the standard pasteurizing practices and make sure its not too wet when you case it, you should be fine.

#29 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Here is what I was thinking.

1. Pasturize the poo
2. Bag it and preasure cook it for 45 minutes at 15 psi
3. Wait for it to cool and inoculate it with liquid culture
4. Set the bags in those long small trays that fit underneath beds.
5. When colonized, cut the bag open, dome the lid, and run a hose with a humidifier in it.

It is not possible to compost being that there isnt any yard available. Knocking up some jars for spawn is also not possible due to the lack of funds and time. You think that method will work? What has more nutrients, horse poo or brown rice?

#30 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

theres got to be a tek thats similar to this. this just sounds familar to me for some reason.

#31 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:13 PM

Yea, I would like to do something close to that, but I havent found a tek anywhere

#32 Outer

Outer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

here goes one im gonna give a go,after reading the whole thread its not quite what your looking for though.
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=10590

#33 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Here is what I was thinking.

1. Pasturize the poo
2. Bag it and preasure cook it for 45 minutes at 15 psi
3. Wait for it to cool and inoculate it with liquid culture
4. Set the bags in those long small trays that fit underneath beds.
5. When colonized, cut the bag open, dome the lid, and run a hose with a humidifier in it.

1. Pasteurization is for open-air spawning.
2. Sterlizing (pressure cooking) is not needed for bulk substrates.
only *sterilize* when the container is never being opened (like in waylit's pan. tek)
3. you need to spawn. with grain. a thick liquid culture could possibly work, but probably not.
4. bad idea. event ho things dont have to be super-sterile,
prevent airborne contams from germinating on your casing by keeping all projects raised
12"+ above the floor/carpet. as this is where the majority of household contams reside.
5. quit hiding under the bed :rasta:

It is not possible to compost being that there isnt any yard available.

you can compost in a rubbermaid if you had to, but you do not.

Knocking up some jars for spawn is also not possible due to the lack of funds and time. You think that method will work?

no.

What has more nutrients, horse poo or brown rice?

brown rice.

you do not need poo to make mushrooms. slow down and follow some beginner teks before you go trying experimental things like this. cutting corners is not going to yield you anything but headaches and wasted time.

A foaf got a ton of horse poo and is going to plant it out in a field and inoculate heap by heap with some syringes.

#34 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

If you have spawn bags and u want to use your LC to innoculate horse poo in those bags ,then the best results will be had if you add some whole grain flour to the manure for added nutrients ,maybe 10-15% flour.
Sterilize [PC] the bags for an hour...Then innoculate...
This way you can either fruit directly in the bags or use as spawn for more
H poo....The addition of some vermiculite is usefull if you do plan to fruit right in the bag - for its water holding quality....

#35 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

Thats sounds like a really good idea. 2lbs of brown rice flour per 10 lbs of manure sound good?

#36 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

That'll work, but you may want to try a slightly smaller test batch first, as you may find that you want to make adjustments to hydration levels or texture ect.

#37 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

Also, since the spawn bags we are talking about are going to have filter patches on them, would it be ok to seal them before they go into the pc? I read somewhere that the ends need to be folded while in the pc and then sealed afterwards, but with a breather patch, I dont know why?

#38 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

Changing pressure can expand the bags faster than the filter patch can vent air through, so with most bags its best to seal after PCing...

#39 infinity

infinity

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:27 PM

OK, right on. Thanks. On a side note, a foaf tried an experiment with taking 12 spore prints, putting them in a spray bottle, and spraying down some hore manure that was laid down outdoors to see what happens.

#40 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

Don't pre-seal the spawn bags unless you buy special pre-sealable spawn bags (Sporeworks.com has them - they are the SHIT). Regular spawn bags will explode if you seal them before the PC run.

You can get very good results with poo in spawn bags by puting a layer of grain on top, colonizing it and then mixing (spawning) with the poo layer without opening the bag. Done this way, you can sterilize poo without the severe contamination risks of open air spawning.

Here is a thread I wrote on layering poo and grain (worm castings and popcorn) and fruiting in a sealed spawn bag:
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=11576

Here is B+ fruiting in a pre-sealable spawn bag; the bag has never been opened (since being made). One cool thing is that all the fruit/spores inside are completely sterile.

http://mycotopia.net...91&d=1159716918

Please note, this B+ was isolated for the specific trait of fruiting invitro - others might not be as prolific.

Attached Thumbnails

• spawn bag invitro.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!