Rye casings in quart jars, with grass on top
Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:49 PM
I hydrated the verm to the same level as PF cakes (squeeze some, get a drop or two, no more), and sprayed a bunch of water once i had the casings built, to hydrate the grass seed.
Roughly 75% of the grass seeds germinated, the other 25% were eaten by the myc. before they could get going.
Some of the ones that germinated were growing AND being eaten, but you can't see it in the pics.
Post any questions and i'll answer the best i can.
Oh yeah, these were made on wensday or thursday last week, can't remember which.
EDIT: They are sitting under a 100 watt lightbulb,, with sandwich baggies over the top of the jars to control evaporation.
I take the baggies off every day/every other day for air exchange.
I probably should do it more often, but no contams yet, and grass seems to be VERY good at keeping them from popping up.
I suspect that it acts to clean and refresh the air, but no proof at all.
Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:52 PM
thx 4 sharing.
more details, plz
Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:59 PM
Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:17 PM
Here's the entire process, beginning to current:
Made the rye via the tek doobs told me, one cup DRY rye grain, 3/4 cup water in a quart jar and PC, no rinses, no soaks, none of it. double layer of housewrap tyvek for a lid.
I PC'd it for two hours, as i like to really nuke things, contams piss me off.
Let it cool overnight in the PC, then innoc'd with the last 1/2cc of a Z strain syringe i had, taped over 90% of the tyvek lid with duct tape (including the innoc hole, of course), spent some time shaking the hell out of it, as the rye on the bottem was quite wet, and the top was dry-ish, then incubated at room temp (varies wildly from 50-70), once it started showing some growth, i shook it up again (at probably 15-20% colonization, i'm impatient), and let it sit till 99% colonization. That last one % was from rye that was right next to the side of the jar, and had a little water pool held next to the grains by surface tension.
Then i grabbed my supplies, and sat down to make the casings.
Two brand new quart jars
one bag rye grass seed
one spoon, straight from the dishwasher, but not steril
big bag o verm
Hydrated the verm till i could squeeze a small handful and get a drip or two, but no more.
Then scraped out the top third of the quart jar of rye, poured it into one of the empty quart jars, and smacked the jar around a bit to level it out.
spooned in a layer of verm, which turned out between 1/4 and 1/2 inch deep.
Taped all around the bottem of the jar, so it wouldn't (hopefully) pin under the casing layer.
tossed in a thin layer of grass seed over the top of the verm, and gave it a good six or eight full sprays from a generic spray bottle.
did the same for the next jar.
The last one i just left the solid "cake" of rye in the bottem of it's origional jar, gave it the same verm layer, grass, and spraying.
Then i put a baggie over the top of each jar, and stuck 'em in a warm spot that gets direct light from the 100watt bulb in the room.
Thats about everything i can think of.
Any specific questions? Comments? Gifts? :P
I'm getting some more syringes from a fantastic member of this site (thanks! you know who you are :)), when i get them i'll do the entire process again, and take pictures of it.
Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:14 PM
#6 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*
Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:52 PM
"dont forget to mow it"
There's truth to that. If the grass gets tall, it will get moldy where the blades touch each other. Keep it as short as possible for best results.
Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:00 PM
I'm thinking that 2-3 inches will be about right, keep it from getting huge, but give it enough surface area to do it's job.
Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:25 AM
#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*
Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:39 AM
Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:30 AM
The mycelium is loving the grass seeds and roots and stuff, it's growing like crazy, pins ought to be following soon.
I have an issue though.
How the hell am i going to trim the grass?
Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:45 AM
Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:00 AM
Did so, worked great, plus i got to see the roots :)
Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:16 PM
and I agree it's a pretty coolio eco you got going there.
Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:25 PM
Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:44 PM
Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:56 PM
EDIT for final details, months afterwards:
I got a good flushe out of these, then a second half-flush, then a few random mushrooms, i never did anything but mist maybe once a week. The grand total was ~1/4oz dry all told, not that great for 2/3rds of a quart of rye, but not bad considering the amount of time i spent fanning and misting (not much).
The problem with this tek is getting the mushrooms out, they actually grow into the grass, just like if you leave a rope on a tree it grows around it.
Grass doesn't taste any worse then the mushrooms do, so it's not *that* much of an issue, but it looks kinda nasty.
The grass did indeed mold a bit up top, but what happened in the end was the grass started to die (not enough light i'm guessing, or the myc. ate the roots), and the myc colonized it.
All told i was happy with the results, as neglect casings (a rare thing!) they worked great, but if you don't mind setting aside a grow room/closet/bin and fanning often i'd recommend normal casings.
However, i think that the grass seed on those normal casings (rather then quart jar and ziplock casings) would be beneficial. It does require a solid light source though, no 2xAA pushbutton light.
Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:40 PM
Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:59 PM
Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:53 PM
Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:37 AM
Keep pics coming, this is pretty cool!