• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

iv'e heard of mule, horse, and cow. but has anyone used sheep, goat, or something your foaf got from the zoo?? would be cool to hear some stories and suggestions!

#2 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:15 AM

Have used bison/American Buffalo poo with good success. Foster

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

Shameless self promotion on the Goat poo

http://mycotopia.net...ts-growlog.html

:thumbup:

#4 drtask

drtask

funguy.of.caps

• Expired Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:21 AM

my foaf is *hopefully* getting some elephant dung real soon, will post pics and log of expirements with it.

#5 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

Ive done wild hare, worked well!

http://mycotopia.net...ek-hungary.html

#6 mediciano

mediciano

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

would imagine as long as they are herbavores.. should be a ok

#7 Mr. Alien

Mr. Alien

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Í think Elephant poo is the best... with greate results :D

#8 silver.assasin

silver.assasin

mycogoddess

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

one year i had carrots as big as my forearm, but the manure had tons of unprocessed hay seed. If you can get it free, go for it and let us know.
*i predict enormous fruits in your future*

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,972 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Shameless self promotion on the Goat poo

http://mycotopia.net...ts-growlog.html

So Hyphae,
How did you break up that goat poo? All those little jellybeans! LOL!

Reason I'm asking is because I have ready access to some and I've been wondering how to break it up. Run through a leaf blower/ vac?

Also have ready access to deer, elk, alpaca, and elephant dung. Thus far, I prefer to use cow or horse dung.

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

After soaking and pasturizing the goat dookie is fluffed up and breaks apart easily, like horse manure. When I use the pillowcase method of pasturizing I like to stand on the sack after and even put a board on it and stand on it. This ends up pulverizing the soaked/pastured poo.

To run manure through the leaf blower it would need to be quite dry, not so hard on a stretch of sunny days or with a fan blowing on it. If used damp the unit gums up and must be cleaned between bag loads. Using wet material can screw up the machine to by getting electronics wet. In either case I use straw to clean the machine. After scooting out the clumps of wet manure the straw totally polish cleans it inside. I guess it scrapes the gunk off everywhere.

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,972 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

Thanks man!

I use the blower/ vac on horse and cow poo but my supply is usually nice and dry. The goat poo is pretty recent so I'll be using your method. I usually shred the poo prior to pasteurization but, if you aren't having problems......that's good enough for me.

#12 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

thanks for everyone telling about there experiences...i have a ready supply for most if not more!! i happen to have a exotic game reserve/park within 30 min.. and a friend that works there part time.. strictly herbivore is the only way to go, other than that is there anything i should stay away from? also has anyone done a side by side comparison.. i'm sure ya have let me know.. keep em coming:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

#13 truth=peace

truth=peace

drapes and curtains

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

betcha zebra poo would work well

#14 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

i posted this thread intending to try different poo's.. so i went and got some free product from a friend that has had a well established farm and mules living on the pastures for many yrs.. i used some without any success due to my moisture content being off. haven't got the field capacity quite figured out yet.. well to my amazement today i look into the bag that has been sitting for a few weeks.. i thought i saw some growth but chalked it up to bacteria or mold.. all natural growth i didn't add anything to this poo..

#15 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

i forgot to add the pics...:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 391.jpg
  • Picture 390.jpg
  • Picture 389.jpg

#16 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

Those are inky caps - coprinunus (sp?) something or other. I just call em inky's because the caps will turn to black goo very quickly.

They are common in dung substrates taken right from the outdoors.

#17 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Main Entry: cop·roph·i·lous Posted Image Pronunciation: \kə-ˈprä-fə-ləs\ Function: adjective Date: circa 1900 growing or living on dung <coprophilous fungi>

i always love to learn something different

Psilocybe cubensis is a species of psychedelic mushroom whose principle active compounds are psilocybin and psilocin. Psilocybe cubensis belongs to the Strophariaceae family of fungi and was previously known as Stropharia cubensis. The mushroom's cap is reddish-cinnamon brown to golden brown in color with white to yellowish stipe and will turn bluish/greenish when bruised.[1]

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

The inky cap mycelium is clearly visible. By having it in garbage bags you are giving near perfect conditions for its spread. Even if you kill it via pasteurization its corpse will be a contam vector. Best bet is to lay that out in the hot sun on a dark tarp. Bust it up the best you can and sun bake it dry.

Soon you will have 100 % colonized coprinus plus more spores on the way.

Bake it danno...

:rasta:

#19 gtieken

gtieken

MycoManiac

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

when i wake and bake so will the poo! lol.:rasta:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!