• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys this is my 3rd grow and my first try at a popcorn grow. I started it 3/3 ... I made 3 PFR , 3 PFC, and 3 coprinus comatus the first shot shows the 3 PFC jars, the second shot is the coprinus comatus(shaggy mane) , And the last shot is PFR which I didnt expect much out of cause I didnt see much in the syringe but it appears to be doin the best just goes to show you that you cant judge a book by its cover. over all I am already happier with the speed of popcorn over pf cakes and I like that there is only one ingredient also I used peat moss water instead of tap or spring acctually i take that back I used natural spring water from near my home and added some left over water from some peat moss pellets I had to rehydrate for another project also I know I should shake them once therepartially colonized is it far enough along now or should I wait a bit longer?

Attached Thumbnails

• popcorn006.jpg
  • popcorn004.jpg
  • popcorn002.jpg

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

Looks like they're doing well..It's close to the time where u can shake the Cubes ,although there doesn't seem to be much room to really mix em up..
I would wait on the Shaggy's till the myc is more established or just let em run without...

#3 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

I left about an inch at the top for shaking not much but it should work I hope

#4 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

well I shook my jars today should be only a matter of time before I can spawn them .... I am planning on spwning them to some straw and I plan on bleach pasteurization this is where my first question comes into play the tek I read said 1 cup bleach to 10 gallons water my questin is should the water be hot ? if so how hot? next question which is a big jump ......I read some where that marble dust contains gypsum and calcium carbonate would there be any advantages to adding marble dust to the bleach bath?

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

I just eyeball some bleach in the soak water but I keep it minimal. Your assesment sounds fine. No heat for bleach soak required, just at least overnight, preferably 24 hours.

You can add gypsum from drywall in a small quantity. Its cheap to buy by itself in a bag. Mix both with the well chopped straw and soak. Then rinse well in a collander (I use bucket with screen over) and do your pasturizing. Two hours at 165 F and then drain well and cool before mixing with spawn.

#6 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

oh I have to soak in bleach bath for 24 hours
and then in 165 degree water for 2 hours?

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Back to school with yah...

Mycotopia Web Archive: Sterilization & Pasturization Methods.

LOL just kidding

Yah you soak at least overnight in bleached water with some lime.

Next day drain and rinse that in a bucket with a screen over it or similar.

Place in pillow case (as you will read) or not and simmer at 165 F for at least 2 hours or more, fully submerged.

After the time take straw out of waterbath and drain well till it drips no more.

Let it cool and when it is mix with the popcorn , or whatever spawn you are using.

This is the summary. Nothing beats reading each of the threads in order, and their sub-directories. Then you will be off to the races.

Hope this helps

H

#8 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks so much and back to school goes the HUMBLE STUDENT

#9 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

well I guess I'm not ready for popcorn just yet all of my jars except one are showing trich.:gah: so back to brf cakes for me till I perfect it I guess.

#10 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

If at first you don't succeed.....

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

BRF can be good for sure, but if the spore source is a bit dirty they can contam even faster than the popcorn.

What is PFC and PFR ? Where did you get the spores ?

Maybe you should consider WBS ...

http://mycotopia.net...-technique.html

#12 HUMBLE STUDENT

HUMBLE STUDENT

Keeper Of The Spores

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

pf classic and pf redboy and I got from ralphsters which i know is great cause my first grow went great and i got those spores same place same time

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!