• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

so i think i remember long ago reading about some one doing this. but i cannot seem to find in the archives right now so could some one link me?

if it was not here i saw it sounds like experiment time in order.

#2 mrpanda

mrpanda

It is big and I am clever

• Expired Member
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

If you really desperate you could try a mix of coir and perlite but try to pack it really loose, just an idea not sure if it will work.

#3 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

dont know if you can use the coir in replacement of the verm. from what i've seen with casings staight coir opens alot of room for contams. i do know you can use verm and coir to double end case your cakes for fruiting.

my advice would be to make one or two test jars. mayb one with just coir and one with a verm coir mix. see if they do alright.

keep us posted brotha

peace

#4 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is an hpoo-cake with some quinoa flour. Approx. 1 t of flour per jar, but you can easily add 2 ts :P. Nocced up with 10cc of LC made of an old print, so it doesn't go fast, but this cake was nocced just 2 days ago. I can already see that poo is great, esp. with some extra nutes ;]. You can use BRF instead. There is actually a bit of verm mixed in, but it doesn't play a big role in the whole show, I think. Poo is light and very loose, unless you pack it tightly...

This is actually a test cake, cause I'm fighting with contams now. I had trich in my PF tek cakes last time and I ran out of BRF so I thought I could use poo ;p. It's colonizing a lot faster than BRF+quinoa+verm cake.

So my advice is; use hpoo ;]. I believe coir would work as well, because it's structure is simmilar to poo, but just make sure to give the cake some extra food.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02115.JPG

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

i tried a dozen brf / coir pf-style cakes
but they didn't do well,
can't really blame the coir
as there were other uncontrolled variables in play
but i'd be leary-
coir's great as bulk substrate
but it dries much faster than vermiculite -
i suspect my experimental cakes dried out
so i'd still include some verm in the mix.

#6 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

not to worried long as the colonize and do not contam cause they are going to be spawn. was thinking okay dud you got rockwool ever tried that in a sub was going to chop up som fer shits and giggles was kind thinking what about rockwool core well pvore has gone off the deep end but hey it will not be a problem since it is always about the learning, even if ya have to come about it the not so easy route

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0942.jpg

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

keep us posted on progress
plz
:thumbup:

#8 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:09 AM

well here we are mid way colonization

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0947.jpg
  • 100_0949.jpg
  • 100_0948.jpg

#9 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

I would be really interested in seeing rockwool chopped up real fine as a replacement for verm as rockwool has a huge water capacity. Let us know if you try it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!