Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

WBS jars - 2 weeks into colonization, 15% colonized....slow....dry....what to do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Sooooo these WBS jars are colonized, probably 1.5-2 weeks after being noc'd with LC.

It is obvious that these jars are too try. The seeds roll around with ease, and the mycelium is not its usual *snow white* appearance. It is obviously not contaminated, but the mycelium looks rather thin, and a little grey-looking.

What should be done? Do you think some water should be injected into these jars, and then shake them up, in attempts to rehydrate slightly?

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

If they are colonized , be done with it. Move on to a G2G transfer if you like as well as spawn to substrate like poo / straw etc.

#3 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

If they are colonized , be done with it. Move on to a G2G transfer if you like as well as spawn to substrate like poo / straw etc.

I don't intend to do G2G..however...the jars were to be used to spawn bulk substrate

The problem is that there is uncolonized birdseed...so mixing it with the substrate could lead to contams...I always thought you weren't supposed to introduce grains to a substrate until they were 100% colonized..

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Okay when you said

Sooooo these WBS jars are colonized,

I thought you were saying they were colonized, rather than colonizing. LOL I now am re-reading the thread title with 15 % in there.

Anyhow in such a situation I have put a syringe of water in the PC for 15 mins at 5 psi or steamed or microwaved etc.. and when it cools wipe the tip with alcohol and flame if you do that , then inject a few cc's into each jar at a time. You don't have to shake them hard to roll the water around. This way you can observe and reapply if you think its neccesary. Always wipe the tip with alcohol between jars.

Best of luck.

#5 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

Okay when you said I thought you were saying they were colonized, rather than colonizing. LOL I now am re-reading the thread title with 15 % in there.

Anyhow in such a situation I have put a syringe of water in the PC for 15 mins at 5 psi or steamed or microwaved etc.. and when it cools wipe the tip with alcohol and flame if you do that , then inject a few cc's into each jar at a time. You don't have to shake them hard to roll the water around. This way you can observe and reapply if you think its neccesary. Always wipe the tip with alcohol between jars.

Best of luck.

They've already been inoculated, pc'd, and are 15% currently colonized. Can't remake any, was wondering if it'd be cool to inject water into the already colonized jars to rehydrate them..

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

I must be stoned or something cause I swear I wrote this to cover injecting water in the jars to rehydrate..

• HrVanker likes this

#7 Nzo

Nzo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

lol...

I've had to wait over a month to colonize, temps were around 62-68 degrees
jeez im still waiting for a few more to finish up...must have been the spores..or something

#8 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

I must be stoned or something cause I swear I wrote this to cover injecting water in the jars to rehydrate..

Woops, read your post wrong, thanks!

#9 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

lol...

I've had to wait over a month to colonize, temps were around 62-68 degrees
jeez im still waiting for a few more to finish up...must have been the spores..or something

Yeah this was with liquid culture not spores so it should be a lil quicker than spores

#10 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

NZO, if you bump up your temps to 78-80 they will move along faster.

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

If you do add more water, do so sparingly. You absolutely do not want that grain sitting in standing water.

#12 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

If you do add more water, do so sparingly. You absolutely do not want that grain sitting in standing water.

Yes, that is the next step...Deciding how many CC's of water per jar

Maybe 2-4CC? I don't know. Maybe someone with more experience could recommended...not sure how far a CC goes in a jar, in terms of avoiding standing water...ya know?

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

I'd hit them with more lc. 5cc's, swirl the seed well so all of the lc gets distributed properly. Allow to set for around an hour and check to see if there's any lc standing in the bottom. If so, swirl again and so on.

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

*edit*

Lazlo got it, no need to :horse:

#15 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

I'd hit them with more lc. 5cc's, swirl the seed well so all of the lc gets distributed properly. Allow to set for around an hour and check to see if there's any lc standing in the bottom. If so, swirl again and so on.

Yeah, the problem is, no LC left =(

So 5CCs water..hopefully that won't pool up

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

Ah, maybe start with less. Try 3cc's.

#17 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

you can always shoot some water in it and swirl stuck back up the pooled water and start a new lc:thumbup:

plus that should get the myc refreshed and start growth if dried out.

http://mycotopia.net...-test-time.html
http://mycotopia.net...ek-revised.html

#18 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

you can always shoot some water in it and swirl stuck back up the pooled water and start a new lc:thumbup:

plus that should get the myc refreshed and start growth if dried out.

ooo...interesting idea.. :bow:

#19 eat your oats

eat your oats

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

Did 10CCs water, we'll see what happens, doesnt look like standing water.

#20 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

good luck!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!