Fisana

- - - - -

twin baskets

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chikarma_*

Guest_chikarma_*

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

welcome everyone, to my imaginary first grow thread. it is my pleasure to have you. :)

i cannot take credit for any of the pictures and events you are about to read, as i do not control them. i am only here to tell their tale.

two baskets have been made using five qt jars each. they were mixed with 70% straw/30% poo-compost. each basket is cased with 50/50 peat-verm with some crushed oyster shell added at about 5% total.

if you were overseer of these two baskets, would you:

1) keep the lid on the container angled leaving two corners open, and mist heavily once a day to counteract the moisture loss?

or

2) keep the lid closed and mist only occasionally, only when needed, because the two baskets keep the humidity fairly high by themselves in the tub.

before making your choice, please note that the tub will be fanned at least four times a day, without fail. Air exchange itself should not be a real problem for this tub.

tyvm for allowing me a moment of your time, it is my honor to enjoy your presence, and accept your suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• twinbaskets.gif

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

my friend would probably go with a middle ground of the two. keep the lid slightly agar, and mist when needed. depending on the rooms RH. that way you still dont chance stale air (as much) and you can mist accordingly.

from what i read, you can pump a lot of water into those LBs.

how long ago was it spawned? how long does it usually take for the spawn to run through the poo/straw? what is the strain?

good luck, welcome to topia :)

#3 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

why do you have it in a tub anyway? Visions recommends to leave them open air to prevent contams and only cover (with a clear trash bag) when it starts to fruit to prevent the casing from drying out since you arent suposed to mist when fruiting.

But according to your 2 options i would leave the lid ajar and mist heavily until pins form

edit* 5 Qts!?!?! Holy bojangles those baskets look half full from the pics, thats alot of spawnage.

#4 mycolord

mycolord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

PIISU
and good morning. Allow me a moment of your time to try to answer the above questions.

[/QUOTE]how long ago was it spawned?[QUOTE]
-The baskets were spawned on the fourth, two full days ago.

[QUOTE]how long does it usually take for the spawn to run through the poo/straw?[/QUOTE]
-I do not know the answer to how long it takes for the spawn to run through the poo/substrate as this is my first narration of this type of story. I was hoping another member here would obtain this knowledge. If I were to make an educated guess I would say a week or so, but that is just a guess.

[QUOTE]what is the strain?[/QUOTE]
-The strain is PR

[QUOTE]why do you have it in a tub anyway?[/QUOTE]
-They are in the tub because it helps contain any drips or casing or poo substrate that falls off of the baskets. Also because the RH in the area is very low(ranging anywere from 7rh-20rh), so it helps slow the amount of moisture lost in one day.

The overseer has no experience with this sort of upkeep, and is unsure of how to maintain the correct moisture level. In Visions thread (http://www.mycotopia...icle.php?31.255) , he keeps them in the open and heavily mists. In Paradox's thread (http://mycotopia.net...s/5/169730.html) he keeps them in a closed bin and doesnt mist at all until after the first harvest.

There appears to be two different paths to choose from, but each one has a different danger. On the one hand one can choose the path of no misting but risk a high chance of contam. Or one could choose the path of Heavy misting, but then risk the chance of excess moisture possibly ruining the Laundry Basket.

Right now the overseer has the lids very ajar, and every morning mists the twins fairly heavily on the casing. Please, feel welcome to take my invitation for all comments and suggestions.

#5 Guest_chikarma_*

Guest_chikarma_*

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

PIISU
and good morning. Allow me a moment of your time to try to answer the above questions.

how long ago was it spawned?

-The baskets were spawned on the fourth, two full days ago.

how long does it usually take for the spawn to run through the poo/straw?

-I do not know the answer to how long it takes for the spawn to run through the poo/substrate as this is my first narration of this type of story. I was hoping another member here would obtain this knowledge. If I were to make an educated guess I would say a week or so, but that is just a guess.

what is the strain?

-The strain is PR

why do you have it in a tub anyway?

-They are in the tub because it helps contain any drips or casing or poo substrate that falls off of the baskets. Also because the RH in the area is very low(ranging anywere from 7rh-20rh), so it helps slow the amount of moisture lost in one day.

The overseer has no experience with this sort of upkeep, and is unsure of how to maintain the correct moisture level. In Visions thread (http://www.mycotopia...icle.php?31.255) , he keeps them in the open and heavily mists. In Paradox's thread (http://mycotopia.net...s/5/169730.html) he keeps them in a closed bin and doesnt mist at all until after the first harvest.

There appears to be two different paths to choose from, but each one has a different danger. On the one hand one can choose the path of no misting but risk a high chance of contam. Or one could choose the path of Heavy misting, but then risk the chance of excess moisture possibly ruining the Laundry Basket.

Right now the overseer has the lids very ajar, and every morning mists the twins fairly heavily on the casing. Please, feel welcome to take my invitation for all comments and suggestions.

#6 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:28 AM

HeeHee. I like the way you tell a story. Very poetic indeed! Good luck. I hope the "overseer" knows what he is doing. Keep in mind you can always control the amount of water you are adding by misting, but after contamination sets in, well, controlling them is a bit harder. Choose yur path wisely. :p

#7 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

PR is a good strain from what everyone says, that is a lot of spawn per basket. what did you use ? which grain?
i hope it works out for you, id like to see what visions or another basket pro has to say about this.

#8 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

yea good luck man! When MY foaf did his first LBs it took approx 3 weeks to fruit from spawning.

What kind of lid does that tub have? Is it clear?

#9 Guest_chikarma_*

Guest_chikarma_*

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

PIISU

Sandman i thank you for your replies inquiries and compliments. The tub has a clear lid, and when one would arrive home from work they would find that the RH in the tub with the lid ajar is around 50%rh.

An oni demon has been misting each tub slightly heavily in the morning as it rises to cause mischief. and mists very lightly after a few fannings per day.
Destroy_Erase_Improve I too would like to see what the elders opinions are as well.

#10 Guest_chikarma_*

Guest_chikarma_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

PIISU

Hello my friends, and again welcome to this little strand of my energy. It is my pleasure to have you.

From the side both Laundry baskets are looking like the colonization process is proceeding peacefully. To date the overseer has had no difficulties. The Laundry basket on the right had patches of mycellium poking through the casing layer. the whole layer was fluffed with a fork and patched were it appeared it was needed.

And the day moves on and each morning the casing is misted heavily and the lids on the tub are left very ajar. From this point on the overseer will continue to mist and patch wherever the Tub directs her too.

Here is a picture of the maintained tub with very little visual stimulation other than knowing that in the near future positive things may come of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1basketupdate.gif

#11 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

when you patch, doesnt that make the casing layer uneven? i thought the key was an even casing layer for an even pinset. im confused. :p
sorry chi, not trying to hijack your thread.

#12 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

The purpose of a casing layer is more moisture retention than facilitating pinset, imo
However I recall learning how to scratch casings using a fork and was under the
impression that the ridges were beneficial for pinning as there is more surface area.
And, to unjack the thread, I want to let you know I really enjoy your threads, you funky monk.
They're clever and well-written.
I was in a really shitty mood right up until I happened upon your thread about the spacecorn.
Made my fucking afternoon.
Now I'm going to go shoot some NAZIs.
I'd be pumped for the PRs: they are legendary around here, though I have never tried them persoanlly.

EDIT: Oh yeah - what's PIISU?

#13 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

open air!! screw the lids!! just water or dunk em when they get dry... air flow is good... I doubt you'll over water em unless there is nowhere for the excess to drain(like maybe holes in the bottom)...

#14 Guest_chikarma_*

Guest_chikarma_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

PIISU

when you patch, doesnt that make the casing layer uneven? i thought the key was an even casing layer for an even pinset. im confused. :p
sorry chi, not trying to hijack your thread.

No apologizes necessary. I do not control this thread, I only sparked its life and now let it evolve on its own. As can be seen above, the answer to your inquiry arrived before me.

I was in a really shitty mood right up until I happened upon your thread about the spacecorn.
Made my fucking afternoon.

And the knowledge that I helped lighten your afternoon has in return, lightened mine.

Oh yeah - what's PIISU?

It means peace in japanese. It is the phonic way of saying it. The I pronounced with an EE sound like in "meet". The double II is to show to hold it for twice the duration of single vowels. The U has the sound of OO as in "hook". But with less of a rounding of the lips.

I'd be pumped for the PRs: they are legendary around here, though I have never tried them persoanlly.

Yes. There are many tales of potency, whispers of great power preceed them.

open air!! screw the lids!! just water or dunk em when they get dry... air flow is good... I doubt you'll over water em unless there is nowhere for the excess to drain(like maybe holes in the bottom)...

PissyBee ty for allowing me a moment of your time. The only concern the overseers are of a casing layer that is overly wet. A layer that would not allow for a good pinset. A bird landed on her shoulder as she woke one morning and it whispered in her ear that the sun and the moon told it that too much moisture in a casing layer could and would cause great discomfort to pinsets.

The overseer is inexperiencedly hesistant for this reason.

funky monk

:)

#15 mycolord

mycolord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

funky monk :)
i also enjoy reading the threads. taoist or maybe someone else. could you answer this related question. above "patching" is talked about. i know its supposed to help promote a more even pinset. but how.
you patch over the myc that is poking through the casing. but how long do you do this for? until the whole casing has myc evenly poking through? until you get pins?

also if your misting heavily doesnt the casing get matted down?

i never patched and im trying to grasp how it works. i was discussing this in chat and still was unclear.

#16 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

<-----------not a patcher either

#17 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

I hear a good scratching is in order, no need to patch.

#18 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, sorry I don't case straw, but you are right, too wet is bad for the casing, straw alone is rather resilient to soaking though...

#19 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

"It means peace in japanese. It is the phonic way of saying it. The I pronounced with an EE sound like in "meet". The double II is to show to hold it for twice the duration of single vowels. The U has the sound of OO as in "hook". But with less of a rounding of the lips."

Wakata. Anata-wa Nihon-jin desuka?

"you patch over the myc that is poking through the casing. but how long do you do this for? until the whole casing has myc evenly poking through?"

I believe that's the definition of overlay. And a reason people don't patch. I wouldn't equate even colonization with a strong pinset, though I see the theory there. Regardless of how nice a pinset is, it's a lot about air exchange, humidity, and size/type of substrate, when it comes to getting it to fruit right. Patching is overrated - if anything it just slows shit down because it has to continue to grow through more shit, using more energy that could be going into the formation of fruits. The only exception I can think of is if a casing had one small spot poking through and by the next day it was the size of a half-dollar with no other signs of growth. Otherwise, as we can see, patching...not so much. And I'm sure if any of this is my talking out of my ass, Rodger will be sure to come in and slap me.

#20 jjoj

jjoj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

visions says to scratch the casing to fluff it up, when you see the mycelium has reached the surface.

scratch it up good.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!