• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

so i just made up two of those nifty straw logs, using the drain pipe socks..

... i wrapped them up in plastic wrap so as to keep them moist. probably in about 3 days im gonna poke a bunch of holes in the plastic wrap, then hopefully after a week or a hair over they will be done spawning.

there incubating at around 86F now, and i used a pint of spawn for each log, there was aproximatly quarter of a pillow case of straw used for each one

ones tex and ones sa

if they do ok pics will follow soon.:mistrust:

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

there incubating at around 86F

... You are in the danger zone. Careful. Let it creep up a few more degrees by accident and you could have troubles. Try for 80, and it will creep up to 83 F occasionally.

Give yourself a little buffer.

good luck
  • ilikethings likes this

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

I agree, that is too high of incubation temp. It can invite contams to grow a lot easier and quicker.

Can't wait to see em, should look nice.

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

hurry with the pictures and good luck.

#5 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:16 PM

i've been incubating logs, jars, casings, i found in my place i get less contams with 86 rather than 80 or high 70's

anyone got any advice about keeping them moist? thats what i was hoping for

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

I'm not sure if this will help you.

Mycotopia Web Archive: How to Manage the Watering of a Mushroom Crop

For logs its easy to dunk at any time. I wait until first flush and then dunk a good 6 - 8 hours or overnight in cold , lightly bleached water. Some times I give mini dunks to top them up. Many times i've done this with pins on the logs.

With poo/straw the moisture lasts longer. Straight straw works great but can dry out quicker. Dec'ing the logs with moist verm helped me also on different projects. I have taken to rinsing perlite , wetting it and then placing it on the bottom of the tub for added humidity.

One last observation with logs is that if they are placed on a rack they can (and do) fruit out the bottom below the logs. I like this feature but its a trade off because it causes more moisture to come out of the log. The way I see it is just do more logs and more dunk/soaks and the extra fruit you get out the bottom is bonus.

Example B+ , straw log

Posted Image

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

As an after point to try and further answer your query, the use of an ultra-sonic humidifier works wonders for humidity. I have mine on a timer which really helps if you are going away for a couple days (tank lasts 3 days on mine).

I picked my ultra-sonic up cheap at a second-hand store.

Here's a couple pics. One of logs being dunked and the ultra-sonic humidifier.

Forgive me if none of this is helpful...

Attached Thumbnails

• 47582d1174616819-incense-bag-goat-poo-straw-logs-laundry-baskets-growlog-humid.jpg
  • 49840d1177457456-incense-bag-goat-poo-straw-logs-laundry-baskets-growlog-pix1.jpg

#8 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

hyph thats great thanks. its just with these sock straw logs there not in the normal plastic like my other logs were, and i was afraid of them drying out. i was planning on dunking them for 12 hours once incubation is done and before first flush. as well as between flushes.

thanks it did help:bow:

#9 silver.assasin

silver.assasin

mycogoddess

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

... You are in the danger zone. Careful. Let it creep up a few more degrees by accident and you could have troubles. Try for 80, and it will creep up to 83 F occasionally.

Give yourself a little buffer.

good luck

why is the higher temp a problem? just stalled growth or death?

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

Many will tell you that unplanned spikes in temps will happen. If you are already at or past 83 F then you can easily slip to 90 F and beyond. This is what i've come to see Hip3 refer to as "creeping up"...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!