• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crankykid

crankykid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

So, SWIM thinks SWIM's seen similar teks, but SWIM was curious if mixing 25% verm and 75% Popcorn in an oven bag (like one for turkeys) then tossing it in the oven for an hour at 300 F would be sufficient for sterilazation. From there the bag can be shot up with LC from multiple sites.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this?

-Kid

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Short answer, no...

It would'nt work. Get a PC for popcorn.

#3 crankykid

crankykid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

= )

SWIM has a PC. Can a bag like that be thrown into a PC for an hour?

Thanks.

-Kid

#4 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

Can't speak from experience but the problem I see is that unless you have a very large PC I wouldn't recommend it. I think it would be easier to use maybe quart sized jars. PC'ing in my opinion is the most important step in trying to stay contam free. I personally wouldn't risk it. If you know you have it right from the beginning things tend to go much more smooth.
On the other hand if you are going to do it, maybe do a test batch so you don't shoot your whole load on one idea that fails. Either way good luck and let us know what you chose to do.

#5 MORman

MORman

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:49 AM

I'm sure this is possible, I've seen bag techs on rye grain, and undoubtedly you could probably do a corn bag. However, I have not been able to successfull pull of a grain bag to this date, and have tried many times. Make sure you put alot of vermiculite in the bottom of the bag, also I'd try to keep the moisture content on the lower end of the spectrum, and excess in moisture in a bag would cause a sure fire failure. Keep us posted a good pc bag tek would be cool.

#6 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

Cooking in the oven would have a drying effect on your Sub + sterilization times are pure guesswork..
For PCing oven bags , it helps to wrap them in a T shirt or cloth as these bags are a bit more delicate than reg spawn bags..I would go 90mins ..

How are you doing the filter/injection site...?

#7 crankykid

crankykid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

This is an oven bag with 2 pounds of PCorn and Verm mixed in a 1:1 ratio by volume. The bag has been PCed for 90 minutes and inoculated with 20 ml of liquid culture. Injection site was simply alcoholed before injection and taped over after. Nothing special here.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_5546.JPG
  • 100_5545.JPG

• Earthling likes this

#8 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

make sure it doesnt get moved at all while colonizing
and shake during 30% colonization
and shake during 70% colonization

or you can shake once, up to you..
but not more than thrice

good luck :)

#9 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Im pulling out a chair right here.

#10 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

This is an oven bag with 2 pounds of PCorn and Verm mixed in a 1:1 ratio by volume. The bag has been PCed for 90 minutes and inoculated with 20 ml of liquid culture. Injection site was simply alcoholed before injection and taped over after. Nothing special here.

Hey just to let you know, my recent experience with the oven bags is that they are porous and breath. You make want to place another bag around it to hold in the moisture.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!