Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:36 PM
Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:40 PM
until bleach smell is gone.
proly be more effective to
place old perlite in colander
and flush it with a few gallons
of bleach water, drain well.
Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:41 PM
since perlite isn't alive,
and the bleach won't touch your stuff
you can/should a much stronger mix,
like 25-to-1 bleach water or so,
to make certain you're killing everything.
Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:55 PM
I use the 200:1 ratio and I dont wait for the bleach smell to be gone,seems to work fine for me.
Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:19 AM
For the last few weeks i was spending all my free time searching for perlite, and wherever i went they told me they had no perlite but were trying to make me buy verm since it's "cheaper and does the same thing (being a soil mix component) but much better" in the 20-th or 30-th store the laddy was very assertive and didn't want to let me go without buying vermiculite ("try it, it's much better' nobody uses perlite now only verm, probobly what you tried before was some bad vermiculite but we sell only the best bla bla bla...") so in 20 minutes (for these 20 minutes i was very kind and polite) i said something like "fuck you and you verm" so the guard held me untill the cop came and took the fine (1000rubles ~ 35$)
So finaly today i found some perlite on the garden supply exebition but it's packed in 0.2 litre bags and each bag costs 30 rubles (approx 1 dollar), so i bought 15 bags it's 3 litres, i've colculated thet it will form a 1,7cm (1/2") layer on the bottom of my 45 litre terrarium, is it enough?
How can i recicle it next time?
Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:41 AM
If you're making casings, well I've had problems with that being too high for them. I personally don't mind things a bit on the dry side, cuz I can make up with the occasional misting.
The stuff is such a mess tho, you might try sticking it in a open tupperware to one side of the terrarium. I've always dumped the stuff, so I dunno about recycling. After the projects, it gets washed and becomes soil fluff. Covered in spores.
Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:57 PM
Mrs Rabbit is from Moscow and is teaching me the language. If you need to ask a detailed question and can't find the words, I/she can intrepret it into english for you. Your english is much better than my russian, but she is very fluent in both languages as she's a certified russian/english intrepreter. We'd be glad to help.
Some growers here have found that a layer of paper towels will work as well as the perlite. Replace the paper towels every few days to prevent contamination. All you need is something that will evaporate water to keep your grow area humid. That is a very high price to pay for perlite. Perhaps you can order it from somewhere in Europe or the US?
Yes, you can re-use the perlite for years. Rinse it off between cycles with a solution of 1 part laundry bleach to 20 parts water. Allow it to dry in the sun until it's totally dry before re-using.
Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:15 PM
how should i prepare it before the first use (i mean should i sterilize in a pc, how much water do i add to it etc) i found a lot of info about growing some of it is very detailed but they all miss this
and can i use proxide instead of bleach, (i dont like the smell of chloride)?
thanks for help and best wishes to you and your wife :)
Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:05 PM
Tyvek is a fine-weave material that will allow gasses to pass through it, but the fine pores act as a filter to keep contaminant spores from passing through. It is similar to the synthetic filter disks you can get for jars. You don't add water or anything else to the tyvek. Keep it totally dry.
Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:41 AM
Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:11 AM
Wash the perlite very well under running water. Allow it to drain until no more water will drain from the perlite. Use this damp, but not wet perlite to line the bottom of your grow chamber. It is recommended to make the perlite 2" deep.(3cm)
The perlite will slowly evaporate the moisture that is within it into your growing area, keeping the humidity high.
Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:12 AM
Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:31 AM
I know perlite is non-nutritive, but so is my shower curtain lol
Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:01 AM
Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:59 AM
Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:03 PM
by hand-misting terrarium surfaces daily
if perlite isn't enough
Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:46 PM
Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:41 PM
Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:54 AM
my jars are gonna be ready in a day or so, so i'll put them in chamber on Wednesday i guess, i have found some perlite (pretty rare thing over here) enough for 1.5-2 cm layer, i'll use plastic rack to lift the cakes under the layer (i hope it will give some extra surface for evaporation, water cant evaporate from under the lids with cakes, right?)
Using bleach doesn't sound good for me bc i'm alergic and chlore makes me sick, so i'm planin on H2O2, how much of it do i need? i also have some sterilazing liqud called "alaminol" (stole it from the hospital) which is pretty strong, 1%-10% solution kills any bacteria, viruses and fungi, (at least it's said in the manual i found in the net; i also found thet it is approved by the russian goverment for using in the hospitals and acording to the lows any medical institution has to use this stuff for claning surfaces and presterilezation) how do you think, can i use it? (in case if you understand russian here it is http://dezsredstva.r...p?type=1&pid=22 )