• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:10 AM

really no need for h202, bleach or other cleaning agents in the terrarium, as it is not a sterile place and cakes protect themselves pretty well from contams when fully colonized.......sometimes i like to wipe the inside of tubs down with bleach so i guess you could use your professional cleaner.........just make sure it is evaporated and doesn't touch the cakes........

#22 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:18 AM

I think he meant to add the peroxide to the water he wets the perlite with. Also not necessary. Just use plain water. Perlite is non-nutritious so it won't contaminate. Be sure to let all the water drain from the perlite before you add it to the chamber. You don't want any standing water. That's a good idea to keep the cakes above the perlite, as that does indeed increase the surface area available for evaporation.
RR

#23 jjoj

jjoj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

i've got 30 PF jars that are colonizing really nicely with the texas strain, courtesy of sporelab.

one problem i'm going to face is dunking. there's simply not enough room in the fridge to dunk 30 cakes at once. so, i've been seeking an alternative.

i have a huge 20lbs bag of perlite that's not being used at all. from what i understand, it humidifies a terrarium very well, and if you place cakes directly on it, you tend to get water-logged mushrooms from over hydration.

so instead of dunking, what if i lay a layer of perlite in the bottom of a container as if it were a terrarium with perlite providing humidification. then i would just place the cakes directly on them to hydrate them and then place them back into the jars for more invitro flushes?

i don't really see anything that could go wrong with this idea, except maybe for contamination in the perlite but that can be taken care of easily with bleach.

what do you all think?

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:25 PM

you can do it,
i have.
takes about 1-2 days on the perlite
to fully hydrate a cake
after that it's best to remove
to avoid over-saturation

#25 jjoj

jjoj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

awesome! thanks hip.

#26 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

Good morning all!

I was wondering if I can use vermiculite for the bottom of my grow chamber to hold moister, or is it better to use the perlite. I just got this big old honkin' bag of vermiculite I purchased for making my brf jars (is that what there called?) so if it could be used...

Cheers!

#27 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

I wouldnt say its better but it sure is a hell of alot messier.

#28 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:50 AM

You can use verm like that but the perlite is much better suited for creating humidity in an FC.
Vermiculite will absorb moisture and tends to hold it more than perlite which just holds moisture in micropores on its surface allowing for easier/more evaporation creating humidity.
As already stated above, both are messy but with perlite being the cleaner of the two.

spore....

#29 Audrenai

Audrenai

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here at Mycotopia.
In past grows, I have observed mushrooms curiously growing from various humidification mediums. The picture below is of a tiny Psilocybe Cubensis (strain Amazonian) that somehow managed to colonize an otherwise nutrient-devoid perlite grain. The fruitbody appeared before the cakes even began to pin. Has anyone else observed this?
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• perlitespecimen5ez.jpg

#30 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

not often but yeah, i remember a picture on here awhile ago of a tiny shrooms growing off the side of the rubbermaid tub where the mycelium had spread

#31 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

BTW welcome to the topia!

#32 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

wow.. cool pic :)
too bad you missed our smallest mushroom contest
that sucker would have been a good entry
LOST

#33 wovotom

wovotom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:26 PM

i personally am going to use perlite in my humididty tent

#34 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

Shed used to use damp paper towels in his bins to maintain RH% if i remember correctly..
just a few layers on the bottom changed out once a week.. much cleaner then perlite or verm
LOST

#35 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:28 PM

Aw, it's sooo cute! It likes the moisture.

#36 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

Welcome to Mycotopia! Come into chat sometime! :)

#37 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:04 PM

well, verm is mainly used to hold in moisture, perlite for humidity. You can get by just using verm, but I would suggest sticking with perlite if you have it.

I personally use both in my terrarium. Basically a small layer of verm to hold the excess moisture, and a layer of perlite on top of that to wick it off and create humidity. It works really well and keeps the RH up there.

#38 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

This is a good way.

Shed used to use damp paper towels in his bins to maintain RH% if i remember correctly..
just a few layers on the bottom changed out once a week.. much cleaner then perlite or verm
LOST

#39 hydrodad

hydrodad

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

In my expierence, an Ultrasonic fed into rubbermaid boxes via tubing is THE cleanest way to go. But, I have scaled down lately and gone a little more stealth and have just used Perelite in the bottom of the boxes. But, since I put my "bricks" and cakes on chicken wire to raise them about 1/2 inch above the Perelite layer, I get bottom growth also. Thus, some of the fruits have Perelite on them. A bit messy though (cleaning Perelite from fruits)... so perhaps the paper towel might be a good way to go.

#40 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

grow rocks work well too and can be cleaned and reused

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!