Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

perlite [merged]


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 siam_jim

siam_jim

    Mycotopia Mod

  • Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

soak the clay in 10%bleach and h2o....put enough 10%bleach solution to cover the whole bottom floor fill it about 2-3 cm, make sure you have a barrier between the clay and cakes like a lid, don't use foil as i'm pretty sure it will interact with the bleach if ya not careful.
i use the same idea but i use red clay bricks, it seems too work just fine.
peace
siam

#62 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:23 AM

when in doubt
can't go wrong with a nice thick deep layer
more = better

#63 siam_jim

siam_jim

    Mycotopia Mod

  • Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:32 AM

hehe yes...hip my english is getting better...I forgot to mention put in the clay, clay i did go with 1-3 inches deep and have 2-3 cm of water on the bottom
peace
siam

#64 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*
  • Guest

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

I used lava rocks for a while with water half up them and an air pump. I used the air pump to keep the water from sitting. Provided great humidity for me. Lava rock is less expensive and easier to get at garden centers etc.

You already have the hydroton, so following what Siam suggests should work well.
And i agree with Hippie, a deep layer of the rock is best. My lava rocks were about 4-5 inches deep and the water about 2-3 inches.

#65 MurCurY

MurCurY

    I.Know.All

  • OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

ok...alot deaper then i thought. Glad i asked.
On rereading it....you're putting bleach in the water in the rocks while the cakes are in there?

#66 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

i would be careful,
bleach fumes can damage mycellia

#67 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*
  • Guest

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

I would use bleach to wash the rocks. But I'd use peroxide in the water instead of bleach. Bleach fumes, like Hip says are bad for our friends.

#68 I_am_me

I_am_me

    Odderator

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:26 PM

Paper towels, about 5 layers or so, work great. Change em after every flush though.

#69 MurCurY

MurCurY

    I.Know.All

  • OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

i would be careful,
bleach fumes can damage mycellia



this is what i thought. i'm picking up some food grade peroxide (35%) tomorrow...found it locally. I'm going to wash off the hydroton with bleach water tonight and let the fumes disapate before i put my cakes in there. How much regular peroxide should i be using to how much water in the bottom of the container? remember...it's 2 shoebox size containers hinged together so it's not that big....but i have 4 of them :grin:

#70 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

20:1
water:3% peroxide
is the effective range.

#71 MurCurY

MurCurY

    I.Know.All

  • OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

wait...so...that's 20cc's of water to 1cc of 3% peroxide?

#72 siam_jim

siam_jim

    Mycotopia Mod

  • Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

actually it is true bleach fumes can cause problems but its has done fine, as i do not put much and it will slowly dissipates as when we dunk them...imo..but i could be wrong?
peace
siam

#73 geeraff

geeraff

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

hiya hippies! thanks for the help in advance, since i have never been left stranded here. you guys are awesome...especially hippie.
anyways, may be a stupid question but ummm, there was perlite on the specimen that i put into the jar to take a sporeprint and there is some perlite at the bottom of the jar in the sporeprint. problem? i guess not. we'll see.
i was tripping when i cut the cap and put it in the jar, so i was not so sure of my movements. the cap itself actually kind of freaked me out...i actually felt it's breathing life...it felt as if i was killing it. felt like i was a monster or something. so i dropped the cap in the jar and then stuck my finger in there for a quck sec to try and get out the perlite before i realized that i should get the top of the jar on quickly and get my dirty finger out of there. lol, anywayzzzz

#74 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

practice makes perfect.

#75 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*
  • Guest

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:10 AM

^^^Yes it does.^^^
If it makes you feel anybetter cutting a cap and printing it is a necessity to get that fungus' DNA into the future.

#76 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

depends on how strong the fumes, how large the chamber
a light odor of bleach = no big deal
but if it's burning your eyes
it's hurting mycellia too.




Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!