#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

I had an idea to try and make some paper out of manure and other additives. I'm not sure how I came up with the idea but I believe a joint was involved...

I took some bone dry horse dooke and shredded it. Next I took some fine straw and garlic straw chips and added all 3 ingredients to a blender. In the blender I used the same recipe as if you were making paper. I mixed.

4 parts water.
1 part mixture of: cut up newsprint , fine straw, garlic straw chips, shredded horse manure.
5 drops of white glue.

I mixed all the above with a spoon and then blended at various speeds starting slow and working my way up to the higher ones. After this was well blended I poured it over a screen and captured the water below. For this test I just kept it simple.

I really liked the results. It gave me almost a felt-like layer of fortified dookie. I set it up beside the woodstove for night and in the morning it was well dried.

What I am hoping to do is make a set of bigger frames and make thick sheets that can be stored for later use or moistened and layered in a tub, sandwiching spawn in between the sheets. Also I was thinking of inoculating with LC.

I'm going to experiment with how thick I can get each sheet to be. Also I was thinking about pressing this material into shapes and letting it harden. A side bonus to this whole process is the poo-water that you capture is excellent for soaking straw or gardening.

Here's what my first piece of poo-felt looks like. Feel free to try this at home...

Comments appreciated.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• poop2.jpg

#2 flathead

flathead

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Maybe you should invent insulation like those other guys with the mycelium. :rasta:

#3 AlsahrGlib

AlsahrGlib

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Looks like something you could line the inside of a jar with. Fill the rest with pfcake mix, let colonize, birth, double end case...fruit :eusa_thin

#4 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

:cool:

Poo Pellets for psilly's :greenboun:

I think these would be great for outdoors, rehydrate, spawn, fruit.

:rasta: keep smokin'

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hey thats a good idea Freaky. With the paper fiber and glue the pucks really hold together on drying. If you had screen at the bottom to expel extra moisture you could press any shape you wanted.

#6 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

making it with spawn holes/indentions :) The possibilities seem endless.

#7 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

copyright this. and when your a millionaire. ill help ya start the company! lol...

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

I have'nt even unveiled my non-patented coir based paper for casings ... :reb:

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

I have been throwing things around in my head since I got the poo-paper idea. There's lots of different additives you could mix in. Later today i'm going to try some experiments with substrate papers.

My goal is to try and develop a couple different sized poo-paper applications. The idea I have is to get a bunch of pucks like you see above and have them be made out of pasturized materials. Make the paper in a good thick burger, dry it out with heat, fans etc to a really moisture-free state.

Then I hope to either A: Spore print directly over/on the paper puck and then lay another moisture free puck on top. What I was thinking was that this could be kept in a dry dark place in a plastic yogurt container. As you need pucks in the yard you soak the container , drain it, plop the double puck on the ground , mulch with leaves and wait.

... or B: Make and store the dry pucks, soak them , drain them and squirt Cubensis LC or 9er tek blender clone between the puck layers and mulch.

I like the idea of stealth, fast growing outdoor projects. Hopefully this idea will come to fruition. Theres only one way to find out.

I'll try and get some pics of the proceedings.

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

Well its been awhile since I got this idea and its been rolling it around in my head for a few months. I decided to try again. This time I made up a batch made of poo-paper as follows:

Crushed/shredded maple leaves
Very finely shredded straw
Garlic straw chips
Sheep manure & water
Paper pulp
White glue
Cubensis spawn on popcorn (use any grain)

Take the leaves , finely ground straw, garlic straw chips, and sheep manure and soak it in a pot of sheep poo water for 12 hours. Then I let take an osterizer mixer jug and put the blade assembly on. In the jug I put as much water as I can safely mix and add 2 inch squares of newsprint. It worked out to about 2 cups paper shred per batch.

You blend the paper pieces in the warm water starting low and working your way up to half speed. You blend for about 10 and no longer. You don't want to to overbeat the pulp. This blending renders the paper instantly into pulp. Pour each batch into a large bowl and continue making more. When you have several cups of paper pulp in the bowl set it aside to congeal and set more.

Now take equal portions of the soaked / drained leaves, garlic, straw and sheep dung and place in the blender jug. Fill the jug to the safe max with sheep poo water , add a squirt of white glue and blend well. For this you start low and work your way up to high. You want to blend this concoction to the maximum. Keep adding the finished jugs to a clean bucket.

When its done you are ready to start making paper. All you need to do is mix the poo/leaf mixture 50 / 50 with the grey paper pulp and stir it around in a pale. This mixture is poured over the screen. The screen is tacked to a wood frame so its tight. This sits over top of a plastic tub that catches the dripping water.

When the leaf / pulp mixture is poured evenly over the screen it immeadiatley starts to drain. You keep pouring it everywhere and the more you pour , the thicker the paper gets. You can even wait a minute and let it set-up a bit and then pour more.

At this point you let it drip drain and the paper begins to set as it dries. Now you are free to make sheets or to make other shapes. One of the ideas i'm trying is to roll the poo-paper sheets up into tight logs.

For this round I decided to re-shape the poo-paper when it was half dry and still pliable. I took margerine style containers with many tiny holes in the bottom and placed the poo-paper material inside it. It gets packed nicely and firmly than I use a jar with a lid on as a weight and squeeze excess water out onto a towel.

This process goes on for a bit as the last of teh water comes out. When its done the poo-paper is now a puck. Its very solid.

The pucks are plopped out of that tub and placed in the tubs you see in the pics. They are then PC'd for one hour @ 15 psi with a dish towel over and around the tubs to keep them off the PC walls.

When the pucks are done being PC'd and cooled completely I needed to make holes in them to let excess water out and to be used as FAE breathers. When completely cool I opened the tubs and placed cubensis spawn of popcorn in between the 2 pucks.

It looks kind of wierd but as soon as the mycelium hit the poo-paper it really loved it. The pictures you see are after one week of growth at 75 F. Its really starting to catch on now that I made a few more air-holes.

In the last picture you see a puck that I intentionally tried to infect with trich. The tirch came from a nice green jar or grain and was transferred into the jar you see a week ago. Since then the trich has withered a bit and has not advanced on to the puck at all ... i've got it in the dark at 75 F also. Should be interesting to watch that.

So anyways thats my report for now. I'll try and give more details as they come. The pucks look good so far.

Feel free to try this at home.

Cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• puck3.jpg
  • puck1.jpg
  • puck2.jpg

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

interesting.
:cool:

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

As soon as I get some LC's going i'd like to try inoculating pucks with them. I can see the popcorn layer in the middle being a future contam vector. If I had LC's on hand I would have made the pucks as big but they'd be one solid block.

#13 FDK

FDK

Mad Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hmmm, sounds like it could lead to some "Trippy" Paper Mache designs. ;)
Cool Beans

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

Coolest paper-mache mask... that fruits mushrooms for a halloween contest ?

:rasta:

#15 FDK

FDK

Mad Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

Mabey get a large enough sheet made and mounted to a frame with some form of foam backing to allow for adding moisture, mabey a plexi-lid to protect from contaminations, noc the bottom of the picture, or noc patterns out on it, then watch your myco-mural do it's thing on the living room wall??

And that mask would look kick assed if ya' got something like turkey-tails or Sulpher shelfs to grow out on it. :thumbup:

And it would definatly give new meaning to "Shitty Origamy" :lol:

#16 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:47 PM

Shitty Orgamy :lol: :lol: :lol: very interesting horse poo paper :eusa_clap

#17 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

man that is cool...want a slice of poo? garlic flavored?

:bow:

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

The extra air holes definately helped with FAE. The growth is much better in the downward direction, now that theres air down there.

Still no movement of the trich into the puck that I placed it with. I left 2 pucks alone and didn't inoculate them. Nothing grew on them that I can see in the last 10 days. Now i'm going to try and infect them with trich also.

I'll report back.

Here's the double poo-paper puck as it looks. There are starting to be fans of mycorrhizal growth.

Attached Thumbnails

• puck2.jpg
  • puck1.jpg

#19 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:59 PM

Pretty neat hyph :bow:

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

Update

Nothing has grown on the unspawned pucks in 4 weeks , no contams that I can see.

The triched puck never spread and the trich has died right back. No other contams after 4 weeks of trich infection. I hope to try and inoculate it with cubensis shortly.

The main puck is now 100 % colonized (sorry no camera). I want to birth it into a small tub and see if it gets pins. Due to loss of spore print collection at the time the only syringe I had around was a 2.5 year old Oh Canada ! Haha , so thats what it is.

We'll see what happens.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!