52 replies to this topic

#21 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:37 AM

I have'nt even unveiled my non-patented coir based paper for casings ... :reb:

hahahah! i've been using agromats for that for a few years!

it's sphagnum/coir/verm lolz!

u can also soak 3m green pads in water/agar and it will colonize as a VERY strong casing layer.

#22 Phx

Phx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:53 AM

I have seen on t.v. that paper was made with elephant dung, worked great because of there diet...can't wait for your results from the hpoo paper after you complete all your research. They also made batteries too with the EPoo with old discarded batteries and mason jars. It was on discovery channel or something this past week. Keep us informed with your results. Could be a new trend. If you can find the t.v. cast on discovery(i'm fairly sure it was on that channel, try their web site it might show you the clip form that show). Then maybe you could look at what they used and make the batteries too. I believe they used 4 "batteries" for an am/fm radio, 16 "batteries" for a t.v. set, so on etc.. It was suppose to last for something like 30-32 days...I can't remember but try it out every which way you can and let us know.:headbang::bow: :headbang::greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:amazed::love::eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

#23 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Limade I was just joking around :rasta:

Any claims I make about coming up with any of this are tongue in cheek.

Just adapting things to the hobby in the name of fun and experimentation and sharing.

#24 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:23 PM

Today i'm making some LC's and when they are ready i'll be in a good position to try inoculating the pucks via syringe. Can't wait for that !

I'm going to have different styles of pucks and mats ready for that time.

One thing i've been thinking about is letting a window-screened size piece of thick poo-paper mostly dry and then roll it up nicely around a tube of cardboard (from inside tinfoil roll) with small holes drilled in it evenly throughout, forming a nice solid log.

I tried an experiment doing this and with tweaking it works. The paper needs to be of the right dryness to roll properly. Once its rolled up tightly it adheres to itself and can be placed in a plastic bag with FAE.

The reason for the cardboard roll in the middle is to allow air in the middle of the log and allow excess moisture in and out after a dunk etc.

What i'm hoping to do is inject each log through the bag with LC and see how the growth is.

Can the LC be injected inside the surface of the log ?

#25 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

Both the pucks are fully colonized now. They have pins on them and even a small shroom on each. I'll have to get a camera as wifey is on the road with ours.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that what is fruiting is from 2.5 year old syringe marked oh canada. No chance of error as it was the only cubensis I had going and it was still unopened packaging.

Got the pucks set in a humid mono-tub with good FAE.

Pictures of oh canada fruiting on horse poo pucks to follow.

#26 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hey Hyph, the LC sure could be injected into the log.
It would be kind of like mixing it with out the shaking into a sub such as grain or compost. Or at least I'd think it would be.

#27 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

I just got to borrow a camera this afternoon so you can all see the Oh Canada fruits starting to form.

Oh Canada on poo-puck paper ...

coming soon

:lol:

#28 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

can you explain to me why the trich isn't liking these? very cool idea indeed! :bow:

#29 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

I'm still in observational mode collecting data. Early indications lead me to believe that its a combination of factors.

I noticed earlier in experiments that garlic stalk chips supported good mycelial growth and did not get trich at a time when my straw projects were getting hit hard. Also with using leaves for Cubensis I noted that there was no trich even without strict regime of having the lid on.

So I combined these two things with paper pulp which I also believe is trich-unfriendly and the manure I threw in as a test.

The combination of the ingredients makes a surface that is quite papery. The surface is slick and flat, maybe this does'nt give the trich what it needs to establish itself ? I'm not quite sure, but I do know I tried both leaving pucks uninoculated for 2 months (no growth) and as you saw above intentionally infected a jar, but it would'nt advance.

Next test is more trich into the uninoculated pucks to see if after 2 months of inactivity the trich finds it easier to spread in there.

I'll report back. Any comments appreciated.

#30 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

LOL

I wish I had anything other than Oh Canada growing on the pucks !

But in the name of science...

:lol:

#31 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Got the camera finally. So without further ado this is what came out of an Oh Canada syringe as grown on the horse poo pucks.

The only mystery is the fact that I had several Oh Canada syringes that I had bought. Some I failed at due to newbism and one I sent to workman. He looked at the spores and gill fragments and believes that they are to small or otherwise different to be cubensis.

This may mean that Max mixed up some spores with some of his Oh Canada orders. We'll know soon enough because i'm hoping to send my last syringe of the original OC and compare that to the one I sent previously and a new print (from original OC batch) that I will soon take.

So far no contams on the poo puck paper. It seems like they hold moisture
pretty good also.

More later.

Attached Thumbnails

• oc1.JPG
  • oc3.JPG

#32 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

:cool:

Hyph, great thread! Interesting about the poo paper pucks and finally some Oh Canada fruits. It'll be interesting what Workman tells us about the spores.

#33 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

In the second picture the puck on the right was not compressed nearly as hard as the puck on the left. It definately seems that there is better mycelium growth on the tightly packed puck.

The yellow you see on the right hand puck is right under where the poly was on the lid , so I beleive its metabolites.

I'll keep photographing them as they open. The closest "strain" that i've seen that reminds me of this , including the few real large fruits on the first flush and for color of stalk/cap is Cambodian...

Oh Cambodian ? :amazed:

We shall get to the bottom of zis.

#34 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:33 AM

Great thread Hyph.Has me wanting to try to make me a poo puck too.

Who knew playing with poo was so much fun.:lol:

#35 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

very interesting :eusa_clap :bow: would love to try these out

#36 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

The first two fruits on each puck are getting really big. I keep having to turn the pucks so they don't bump into each other or a wall. This pic and the previous one are only 12 hours apart.

I can't wait to see how some other strains do on these poo-pucks. I have several LC's brewing right now.

How big will these Oh Canada's get ? Stay tuned...

Attached Thumbnails

• 98089d1219695765-finally-oh-canada-grow-report-dog2.jpg
  • puck1.JPG

#37 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

:cool:

Hyph, I wonder what you can do making some sort of poo paper puck for pan cyans. That'd be a super cool project.

Those too remind me of Cambo's, or EQ's. Bigg shroomies comin' off that!

#38 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thats a good idea Freaky. I was thinking on making a woodlovers puck as well. For Pan Cyans it might be good to use horse manure and paper pulp. Is there anything else Pans would like in the mix ?

Because you can make the poo-paper into any shape you want , you could leave it in a sheet say 1.5 to 2 inches deep and custom fit for the bottom of a tub.

This way the whole bottom of the tub is lined with the paper. For dunks you can flood the tub and have a drain hole in the bottom corner.

Many things to try ...

#39 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

Yeah Hyph, custom fit pan poo pucks would kick ass. The wood lover pucks would be kickin' too.

They could even be used to spawn large outdoor beds. Endless possibilities.

For a pan poo puck, I wonder how super shredded dry grass clippings would work mixed with the poo. Probably your original poo paper pucks would work just as well for the pan cyans.

#40 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

I'm very happy with the first trials of the poo-pucks. The fruit I got were the the biggest i've harvested to date even though the strain was unknown to me.

Early indications are that the pucks can produce decent yields. No contams yet either. One thing i'm noticing is that the puck on the right (pic below) is compressed much more than the one on the left , and it had better mycelium growth and larger fruits. I think 'll pack the next ones nice and tight.

The pucks we're still decently moist after the first flush , but I gave them an hour or two soak in cold water to hydrate. Now they are idling before the second flush. It will be interesting to see what happens in round two.

I think for pans it would be good to have a poo paper piece that covered the entire bottom of a tub. The reason I say this is because pans are so dainty that a pucks worth would 'nt add up to much. Seems they need to be in a thick carpet to amount to anything.

Woodlovers like Oysters could do good on a puck made of things like woodchips , straw, bamboo , garlic chips , paper etc. If a person cut the lid off a large pop bottle and then stuffed the inside of the bottle with poo paper mix nice and tight , and then cut holes all around the bottle for air, the Oysters would fruit out those holes. Could work good.

I'll try some different things shortly. I feel confident enough with the results so far to recommend these pucks to others. They are easy to make and seem contam-free so far (even after intentionally infecting with trich).

Please feel free to try this at home and report back.

Cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• 98162d1219773681-finally-oh-canada-grow-report-big22.jpg
  • 98161d1219773681-finally-oh-canada-grow-report-big11.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!