Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Do you prefer trippin' at night or during the day?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: When do you prefer to Trip?

When do you prefer to Trip?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,992 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Night

I think we're wired to do our adventuring after dark. More nuance and more mystery when your primary sense is limited

And no pesky bright sunlight to screw with open eye visuals

unless you're at the beach of course, but that's a different trip :)

• Skywatcher and DustStorm like this

#62 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

Ya its a tricky question. Clear sky's and the milky way shining down on you is an awesome sight to behold. Then again daytime visuals, clouds and storms can be pretty intense. Vegetation especially. Not as visible at night obviously. Also at night the light plays tricks on me and objects can take odd shapes in the shadow. Triggers some small paranoia

#63 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

Transitive Nightfall here! I like to have a bit of both. Whatever I am taking I prefer the peak to come on at dusk. 

#64 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,197 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

Well this is kind of a trip.

I was sure that I'd replied to this thread back when it was posted. I was so sure that I even remember what I'd posted in response to the question. But then I just went through the whole thing and could not find a single post of mine in it. So I'm either trippin', getting dementia way too early, or there was another thread posted that had more or less asked the same question and I replied to it instead.

So I'll say it again, possibly for the first time: I love both, and whether it'll be a day trip or a night trip depends on too many variables to list. But if I'm going for some very deep journeying (an actual "trip," where I go somewhere else) then doing it at night makes it easier to block out all light and is generally quieter so it's easier to block out all sound, too (in those cases I'm going for maximum sensory deprivation, which turns things inward big-time).

That said, I've had some profoundly visionary day trips, but those also involved some extreme preparations and conditions.

One side-note that may be of interest: When I smoke some Salvia (which is about once every 6 to 8 years), I like to wake up in the middle of the night and hit it while I'm still very relaxed and my mind is very quiet. I do that by drinking a lot of water so my bladder wakes me up rather than a harsh, stress-inducing alarm. I plan on trying that with a high dose of DMT next time I have some since it made the intensity Salvia noticeably less freaky/disconcerting (but no less intense!).

• DustStorm and Severian like this

#65 DustStorm

DustStorm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

I like "tripping" during the afternoon twilight, going on into the night. Makes relaxation easier, and getting into the mood of my trip choice more uninterruptedly.

Daytime tripping has been productive, insightful and all around a crowd pleaser for me ime, but it caused a few incidents that ruined the rest of the trip, especially during the daytime when I have to do things. It doesn't mess with my focus too much, but it made some afterthoughts kinda weird.

I don't want to force my body to associate bad experiences with tripping through subliminally hating the situations I potentially put myself in, so I've just started avoiding causing that situation. I'll do it during the day with friends if I'm not working or anything and they're down with it.

^Also like Casuality I want to take a bigger DMT hit than I've done before, I only got to hit a small bit through a steel pipe, and even though the effects were almost nothing after a few minutes, I knew if I had got more I would have really tripped.

• FindingGravity likes this

#66 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

One side-note that may be of interest: When I smoke some Salvia (which is about once every 6 to 8 years), I like to wake up in the middle of the night and hit it while I'm still very relaxed and my mind is very quiet. I do that by drinking a lot of water so my bladder wakes me up rather than a harsh, stress-inducing alarm. I plan on trying that with a high dose of DMT next time I have some since it made the intensity Salvia noticeably less freaky/disconcerting (but no less intense!).

Wow that's super interesting. Thanks for the idea, I'm definitely going to try that.

Melatonin production peaks while we sleep- that definitely has something to do with the relaxation. Super curious to see how this would affect a DMT dose.

#67 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

i like to trip going from night to day or day to night some of my favorite times. an night full or tromping through ghost town to sunrise and realize in cemetery newset graves 1820's    . Pricless!!

Edited by Phungivore, 14 September 2019 - 08:12 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#68 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,197 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

i like to trip going from night to day or day to night some of my favorite times. an night full or tromping through ghost town to sunrise and realize in cemetery newest graves 1820's    . Pricless!!

That sounds like a fascinating setting. Possibly a bit freaky, depending. I tripped/camped in some old cliff dwellings in Arizona a couple of times, which was very cool. I like unusual or freaky settings (which is not the same as "dangerous!"). I try to determine what I may be dealing with by scouting a setting before I dose in it, mostly looking for any tracks or sign of anyone else being there recently.

There seems to be certain kinds of settings that induce certain kinds of experiences that are hard to come by otherwise (e.g. a sense of Deep Time, cosmic-scale distances, of being on another world, an inspiring vision of a post-industrial Earth, lost floating in outer space, etc.).

Exploring a ghost town is one such setting, and tripping in the middle of some sand dunes is another (highly recommended!). And to know what it's like to be lost in space for real you can try what worked for me (entirely by accident): Go to a Pink Floyd laser show on mushrooms after smoking some award-winning buds dipped in hash-oil in the car outside right before heading in.

Just as we were walking in the door it all got a bit much and I tried to back out and flee back into the shadows, but the group of trusted friends I was with wouldn't let me, reminding me that "this was all your idea!" I couldn't argue with them, mostly because I couldn't actually talk anymore and didn't know who the hell they were, but they seemed nice. I experienced what we call Ego-loss just as I was entering the lobby of the Planetarium but the group of strangers with oddly-familiar faces who seemed concerned about my welfare took care of me, buying me my ticket and leading me to my seat, lol. 

When they projected an image of Earth on the dome during the show, and then made it recede into the darkness, I "knew" that THAT was where I was supposed to be (meaning Earth) and it induced a psychedelic adrenaline rush of unparalleled intensity of the kind you might expect if you suddenly found yourself floating in space and watching your home planet getting further away while not knowing how to get back. It was such a white-knuckle ride I was genuinely surprised that I didn't tear the arms of the chair off. After that experience I am 100% confident that I would pass a polygraph test when answering "yes" to the question of if I know what it's like to leave Earth. It was freaky (to put it mildly), but not dangerous. The guy driving was sober, lol.

Being on sand dunes at night (which are very bright even on a moonless night) and seeing nothing but more dunes from horizon to horizon made it feel like standing on another planet. That is a unique feeling, too. It's sublime and much mellower than the feeling of being lost and tumbling through outer space, though I'd recommend exploring both.

• Skywatcher likes this

#69 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Staggering around in the woods at night or walking down a crowded high street on a sunny afternoon are both equallyfun/horrifying in their own special way, but for "serious" sessions night time seems to be the one.
  • TVCasualty likes this

#70 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,197 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

Staggering around in the woods at night or walking down a crowded high street on a sunny afternoon are both equallyfun/horrifying in their own special way, but for "serious" sessions night time seems to be the one.

I like that you put the word "serious" in quotes, which leaves open the possibility that there's really no such thing.

I suppose whether there is or not would depend upon whether one thinks life is "serious" or not. Because if it's not (as per Alan Watts), then neither are our journeys since they are subsets of life.

I'm also curious where this notion came from that to be "serious" about psychedelics we need to be drilling down deeper and deeper into our psyches with a level of commitment that suggests we already somehow know for a fact that doing so is actually productive and the results will be desirable. One of my roommates when I was in college serves as a cautionary tale in this regard; she and my other two roommates at the time were doing a lot of acid on a regular basis and by the time that ended she was curled up on the floor in a fetal position eating baby food until her mom showed up and carted her off to rehab.

There also seems to be an implicit assumption that pleasure seeking is an inherently inferior intention to have when consuming a psychedelic/entheogen. Or that insights gained by observing the external world through the lens of a psychedelic would somehow be less spiritual or significant or spiritually significant than one of those total-darkness sensory-deprivation trips.  I'm curious how those attitudes came about since I have not see any compelling reasons why those assumptions would be true.

It seems to me that each type of approach to tripping brings a different type of experience, and that all are valuable and have their place in the never-ending quest for perspective.

Edited by TVCasualty, 16 September 2019 - 02:18 PM.

• swayambhu and NatureIsMagic like this

#71 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

Have all my trips been for the purpose of recreation....

Guilty 

Did I have a life changing, perspective altering trip or two along the way

Check

Edited by flashingrooster, 16 September 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#72 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,197 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

Luckily for you guilt doesn't really exist. Outside of our own minds, that is.

There's also the well-established medical fact that stress is terrible for our health, so feeling good and experiencing enjoyment and pleasure and laughing your ass off have demonstrable positive health benefits.

I suspect that most if not all of the often-reflexive dismissal of pleasure is a result of the crusty residue of Puritanism still stuck to our culture, or that masochistic "Protestant work ethic" that only seems to hasten the demise of those embrace it and probably civilization, too. Which is to say it's a form of unconscious dogma, and I see it creeping into the psychedelic scene to a disturbing degree.

My concern is not with the trend of people seeking out psychedelic experiences or those who seek to facilitate such (even if that involves illegal retail purchases; I don’t judge how people get their medicine), but with the nascent wannabe-Priest class that’s emerging to sell it to them (and when I use the word “Priest,” it is a very pejorative term evocative of the cultural and social poison of religion that the Archaic Revival of direct experience exists in order to help cure). Or to preach the “right” way to go about seeking the transcendent. Or to become complacent in one’s own habituated practices when they don’t actually involve tangibly improving things in the world of consensus-reality somehow, somewhere.

Beyond a molecule and a mind, all else is incidental.

• swayambhu, NatureIsMagic and flashingrooster like this

#73 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

Seems like puritanism is on the rise again. I think we just call it being politically correct now

• swayambhu likes this

#74 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:44 AM

Seems like puritanism is on the rise again. I think we just call it being politically correct now

I think (hope) it's a case of the craziest voices shouting the loudest. I think it's always been thus, just that electronic media makes it so much worse.

As far as goofy ballz tripping vs therapeutic-if-painful soul massage, as with everything, a balance is best and tends to be the default in sane persons anyway. Trying to ditch either does not speak of good balance.

#75 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

You crazy party animals!! Day Tripping is where its at... That's why there is a song about it!! I don't know of any song called "Night Tripper"... There is a reason for that!!

#76 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

I don't see any problem with people using psychedelics for pleasure. Many people I see could use more happiness in their life.

What I am extremely wary of is people using them frivolously just to have 'weird' and disturbing experiences. Even as a young and irresponsible teenager I couldn't understand friends dosing and then watching horror films, listening to violent and divisive music, and generally trying to disorient and confuse themselves.

Psychedelics burrow past your defenses and write themselves into the core of your being. Going for happiness is great. Insight, discovery, acceptance, spirituality, deeper connection with friends, deep bonding with a lover, or just mind blowing sex in a conflagration of rainbows, all great. But if you just want to get messed up and weirded out ask yourself if that's really something you want to etch into your personality for the long term.

#77 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

I don't see any problem with people using psychedelics for pleasure. Many people I see could use more happiness in their life.

What I am extremely wary of is people using them frivolously just to have 'weird' and disturbing experiences. Even as a young and irresponsible teenager I couldn't understand friends dosing and then watching horror films, listening to violent and divisive music, and generally trying to disorient and confuse themselves.

Psychedelics burrow past your defenses and write themselves into the core of your being. Going for happiness is great. Insight, discovery, acceptance, spirituality, deeper connection with friends, deep bonding with a lover, or just mind blowing sex in a conflagration of rainbows, all great. But if you just want to get messed up and weirded out ask yourself if that's really something you want to etch into your personality for the long term.

I have noticed a sort of delusion of greatness on lower doses. I do enjoy taking a lower dose where one can easily concentrate on a task or program. Generally I think horror is a trash genre with little surprise for the mind. However, after dosing and downloading the highly reviewed ones. I gotta say I started to enjoy them.

Is this some sort of personality change that is going to stick with me. Perhaps, but that is just a natural progression in life is it not? We are constantly changing and adapting to try to suit our cognitive dissonance. Or is it just drugged up thoughts that remain in the memory. Certainly had a feeling that a show or movie was far more interesting than it actually was though. In the end I am getting enjoyment out of it so what does it really matter. People watch horror movies all day without being high, what is the difference really. Live and let live when it comes to recreational drug use. Just because it's not something you enjoy. Does not mean it holds no value to another. I suppose I don't really care for rule making when it comes to what you should or should not do on a trip. That will sort itself out naturally through experience and or personal opinion.

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 September 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#78 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

Watch this on acid, I friggin dare ya. This movie is the closet visual description of what it feels like to me. The colours and fuzz. It was hard to tell if it was the acid warping the scenes or the actual movie was shot that way. It was shot that way

[Direct Link]

Or maybe don't watch it. I guess more to the point is know your limits and adjust accordingly

I wanted to shut this movie off, but I was committed to the story and had to see it through. In the end I was glad I watched it, I think.....

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 September 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#79 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,197 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

Years ago a friend of mine thought it would be good to start playing the movie Memento as we waited for the mushrooms we took to kick in. He hadn't tripped much at all, and said "Hey, this will probably be kind of trippy!"

To this day I can't tell if it was a good idea or a really bad one.

That movie will mess your head up even if you're sober. On mushrooms it was a genuine mindfuck-o-rama. I had to watch the whole thing once I got caught up in it (I can relate to being 'committed' to the story and having to finish it, though that risks our ending up being committed to an institution if we're not careful, lol), and I almost never look at a screen when psychedelics are involved and I suspect it's partly because of that movie. I had to pause it a few times and go outside and sit on his balcony breathing fresh air for a few minutes before I could continue through a few parts (not due to any gore but from the well-designed backward-ass way the movie progressed? Regressed? WTF is going on here?!?).

So for anyone who likes to screw with their own minds big-time, I'd suggest they give Memento a watch on something psychedelic. And don't send me your therapy bills; you were warned.

• flashingrooster likes this

#80 FindingGravity

FindingGravity

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

I personally like to time my trip with the sunset. Its nice to have a normal day to get any stresses out of the way then to wind down and relax before the trip. I have tripped during the day but I personally dont like to be out and about during the day when im on a different level. I can get really bad anxiety, its worse with the ganj. I had to stop smoking because i would have panic attacks and experiences sort of similar to ego deaths. Really sketchy shit. Ironically though I've never had an ego death while tripping. I can imagine it wouldn't be hard if I just increased my usual doses but im not really looking to experience that. That Mandy movie looks pretty intense if you're looking for another "mind bender" and haven't already seen it you can try watching (natural born killers) I added a link to a clip on YouTube so you can preview it. 

[Direct Link]

Edited by FindingGravity, 18 September 2019 - 10:31 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!