#1 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

My buddy swim has never had problems with bacterial infections, but lately the last 12 jars in a row all got it. I'm guessing this is caused by too wet of spawn, but swims rye technique has been the same for years. He's wondering if the fact that he doesn't change his polyfil in the lids could be the problem? Maybe there only good for one round, then its not water tight and water is getting in during the pressure cooking, but he does put tin foil over the jar lids during pcing? He's trying to pin point what exactly it could be and some help would be awesome.

love, peace, compassion and respect
-wishy

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

Since I've been incorporating facial wash containing salicylic acid into my pre-soak, I haven't had any problems with bacteria (wet spot).

See Reverend Trips' thread:
http://mycotopia.net...experiment.html

This idea has worked wonders for me. You might also examine your grain source as the culprit. Especially since this is a recent development.

Your poly-fil shouldn't be the source. I re-use mine all the time with no problems. The PC kills anything that might be growing on it.

#3 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

You might also examine your grain source as the culprit. Especially since this is a recent development

how would i know if the grain is bad? I have gotten my grain from the same source for years, how would i know if this batch is bad. Also i do believe i have made successful jars from this new batch of grain. but how would i know if something is wrong with the grain?

#4 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hey, check this out. I have tried to get a response from some people, but for some reason no one wants to respond. I think I will be the guiny pig on my next batch. The only thing is I don't have that much experience so I won't have a lot to compare it to. I was thinking though of trying really hard to get trich in one container. Screwing it up so badly that trich has to grow, but add Phenoxyethanol and see if it beats it. I think on my next run I will do half with and half without and see what my results are. Here's the link. http://mycotopia.net...am-control.html

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

how would i know if the grain is bad? I have gotten my grain from the same source for years, how would i know if this batch is bad. Also i do believe i have made successful jars from this new batch of grain. but how would i know if something is wrong with the grain?

Food source grain is usually pretty clean (grains intended for human consumption).
Feed source grain (intended for livestock) is hit or miss. My opinion is that grain which won't meet the standards for food are fed to livestock.

How to identify the problem. One solution would be to hydrate several kernels and place them (unsterilized) on agar to see what crops up.

Another solution would be to increase your PC run. Some here go up to 90 min. @ 15psi where I only go 45 min. @ 15psi for quart jars.

#6 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

hrmm, thats weird, i know its made for human consumption, and second i already pc for 90 mins. I wonder wtf the problem is?

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

Bacteria pisses me off. Just thought I would share that.

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Doh!! :eusa_doh:

I forgot to mention the obvious. Incubate one of your grain jars.....uninnoculated. If you don't get bacteria then you can point the finger at your innoculation technique.

#9 shoe

shoe

met 2012^23 little dudes

• Expired Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

Bacteria pisses me off. Just thought I would share that.

I couldn't agree more. Its like having some guy stealing 10% of your work the entire time. I just tossed 4 agar plates and 4 slants growing a colourful and smelly array of funky agents.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!