• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 madchicken

madchicken

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

1,5 weeks ago I birthed my 2 BRF B+ cakes in terrarium and placed them @ 80F temp,they are getting daylight and the cake is still not pinning mybe temp is too high and can temp stop pinning if it is too high?
On top of one cake is growing some kind like cotony/sponge white thing.
Humid is allmost 100%.
Sore of me bad engliiish.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0314.jpg
  • DSCN0316.jpg

#2 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

After you birth them you want to take the temp to 70. 80 will make it easier for contams first, second shrooms like the drop in temp after fully colonized.

#3 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

1.5 weeks after birthing isnt to long, you still could have some time to wait before you get pins, its just how it is. Second you will be able to fruit them at 80 degree's, my buddy swim has no problems with his cubes fruiting inside a 80 degree gh that has to be raised for the cyans. But a drop in temp to room temp (mid 70's) would help.

#4 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

You might want to think about DEC them too.

#5 bsurfer2d3

bsurfer2d3

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

I had the same problem with mine. Try DEC them (wet verm on the top and bottom). It helped mine and now I have about 12-14 pins.
Here are some helpful links. Read up on them.
http://mycotopia.net...ossary&term=164
Mycotopia Web Archive: <b>Double end casing tek</b>
I actually waited about two weeks before I even saw pins. Once I DEC them I saw pins within a day or two.
Everything else you are doing seems right.
I think you can get rid of that cobweb on top by spraying some diluted peroxide on it. Good luck

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

If you aren't seeing any pins in the next few days, scrape the cake with a fork and do a cold dunk in the fridge to initiate pinning.

#7 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

dec them.....

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

dec them.....

Right. Just click on the yellow dec to see what we're talking about.

Also, those cakes seem to be a little stressed from being too moist. I can't tell if it's the picture quality or a true yellowing of the cake. Yellowing of the cake means that they are full of water. If you can get you temperatures in the 75 degree range and increase the amount of air exchanges per day to 5 or so, that should help out. Do get a dec on the cakes first.

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

See this thread.

http://mycotopia.net...supercakes.html

#10 AlterdImage

AlterdImage

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I agree with One, scraping works good though I had baccilus in a substrate I didn't know about til I scraped it and my FC stunk within 10 min... but it covered it back up and you cant smell it any more. (I rinsed it off- 3rd Flush Anyway so not too concerned)....but it isn't the sick orange collor of rotten wbs anymore it is mostly white and started to pin again. I used Fahtster's late casing tek and it was awesome, 3 separate times I loved it...for straight verm I got decent flushes.

If the heat was too high you could dry them out. If ya don't see anything in another week scrape and dunk em...then roll and rebirth at 70-75. The temp drops usually and that maintatins the conditions...at least that was what I thought. Bags will control the temps on their own...room temp is all you need....My room gets too cold some times so I use the light as a heater and when it was snowing out I had a small spaceheater but it was always too hot. Be patient and remember that the water in the cake becomes the water in your shrooms, so if the outside is dry and leathery then you need to break that surface up.

Also, I spray my casings and cakes daily even with pins but will only spray the pins directly once a day to once every other day...not intentionally, I just usually get lazy and spray the whole FC...I always have very few aborts too...so not sure why everyone is so scared of spraying colonizing trays lately or pinning cakes...

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

No, no. Do not scrape those cakes. DEC them, drop the temperature a bit if you can (80 is o.k. if you can't) and increase air exchanges to 5 or so per day.
  • Salty117 likes this

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Humidity is fine in that box with visible condensation buildup. I will agree DEC has its place, and should definitely be employed.

If after a couple days there are still no signs of pinning, those cakes look like they have crusted over and need to be opened back up. Humidity and moisture will not do that for overlay. When I worked with cakes, it was standard practice to scrape, then cold shock with a dunk in the fridge followed by DEC them. Every flush from birth on was always fast, and perfect regardless of strain.

Not being contradictive Lazlo, just saying what always worked for me when I played with the hundreds of cakes I did.

• Salty117 likes this

#13 madchicken

madchicken

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

ok thanks i'l try to drop a little temp, DEC them and wait for a 5 days.

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

I've waited two weeks for pins to show on cakes , i wouldn't worry too much yet ..
Agree that casing will help ...gluk....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!